It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #61
(female)

nerveteacher HB User
Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

I just had nerve entrapment release surgery in right foot and wish I had read these posts before. I had done much of what you had listed but would have been nice to see list instead of creating from scratch. Have knee scooter, comode, pillow wedge and a nest of books, crossword, movies etc. My doctor said 4 weeks no weight bearing. I just want to stay in bed to be sure I don't injure it, but fear blood clots. Hospital said get up and move around 3x a day to keep blood flowing. Kind of hard when I have pain ball and ice cooler thing attached to my bandaging. Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #62
(female)

LupoMom HB UserLupoMom HB User

Hi there...are you in a protective cast? Also, did the PT give you exercises you can do while in bed? Good luck. I am 2 weeks-post-foot reconstruction surgery with stitches still in, steel plates and screws, but in a protective rigid cast. I do try to keep my foot elevated as much as possible, but ice has minimal effect, given the cast. Am able to maneuver quite well with Voyager scooter, walker, and/or crutches. Six weeks NWB, then probably another eight weeks in boot, non- then partial-weight bearing. I think if you have target locations set up with pillows and cleared paths to each space, you can at least move enough to break the monotony and avoid bedsores...Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #63
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

[QUOTE=nerveteacher;4651204]My doctor said 4 weeks no weight bearing. I just want to stay in bed to be sure I don't injure it, but fear blood clots. Hospital said get up and move around 3x a day to keep blood flowing. Kind of hard when I have pain ball and ice cooler thing attached to my bandaging. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I was nonweight bearing for 4 weeks, but got out of bed a few times a day with a walker to use the bathroom and retrieve food. My doctor also had me take 1 aspirin a day for the first month to help prevent blood clots.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #64
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

A friend of ours broke a rib six months ago. It healed around a nerve and he just had surgery to release it. That was the first time I'd ever heard of such a thing. Did you have a previous injury, too? "Adding insult to injury" comes to mind. Ouch!

Please don't hole up in your bedroom. Cabin fever is depressing. I know it feels like too much trouble, but do unhook what needs to be unhooked, and carry what needs to be carried (totebag? backpack? grocery cart???) to toddle about a bit. I had three nests: My recliner in the living room, my chair in the kitchen, and of course, my bed. A collection of the most useful stuff for each location was conveniently stashed at arm's length. My husband packed an insulated cooler bag with all my icepacks and moved it for me--from the living room to the bedroom at night, and from the bedroom to the living room in the morning.

Also, drink a lot of liquid--good for you, and with the added benefit of forcing you to make frequent trips to the bathroom. If it weren't for that, I'd have moved much less often.

One more thing--I can [I]not emphasize enough [/I]how very helpful it is to stick an icepack in your knee-pit. That, plus the icepacks on your surgery sites ([I]does[/I] work even through your cast!) helps tremendously.

Happy new year
and hugs to all,
Lisa

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #65
(female)

Ladyprof HB User

I want to thank all of you who post here. I found this after I fell last summer and badly damaged my ankle. There never has been agreement on what happened -- guesses range from 3 fractures to a ruptured ligament. Anyway, four weeks nwb initially, then after a short period of partial wb, another five weeks of nwb. I live alone in a house with no bathroom on the first floor. I don't know what I would have done without the advice and information I found here. Now I face a 'probable' arthroscopic procedure for anterolateral impingement syndrome. The surgeon said 'probable' but then rearranged his schedule -- and that sounds pretty definite to me. This time should be easier in a way because I can plan and do things like rearrange the furniture and stock up on food. But I hate not knowing how long this time will last and loathe the idea of going backward. The surgeon has said I might be partial weight bearing within a day or two, but the more I read, the more I wonder. I've talked about this so much that I'm boring everyone I know to tears -- myself included. I'm just not used to being sedentary, and I didn't even own a pair of flat heels before the accident! Will life ever be the same?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #66
(female)

jacgood HB User

Thanks for all the useful advise. I live in the UK and want some info on knee rollers/walkers in this country. I can't afford to buy one and even renting seems to expensive . Any ideas from other UK residents would be greatly appreciated .

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #67
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

[QUOTE=jacgood;4653556]Thanks for all the useful advise. I live in the UK and want some info on knee rollers/walkers in this country. I can't afford to buy one and even renting seems to expensive . Any ideas from other UK residents would be greatly appreciated .[/QUOTE]

The cost does become expensive. There may be organizations that will loan them for free. I rented one and ended up buying it (with credit for the rental amount) because I had it for 6+ weeks and it was getting up to what it would cost to buy. Paid the rental company $500 AD for the used one and had I bought the same model new from a discount place to begin with I could have gotten it for 150-200 less.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #68
(male)

London Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB User

The Red Cross may be worth trying. They lend equipment out for free although they hope for a donation.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #69
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Just wanted to bump this for all the new comers

Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #70
(female)

rutshi HB User

Hi all!
Sorry for this long post.
I have no words to describe how much this thread (and others) has helped me. I am now 7 weeks post posterior tibial tendon reconstruction w/ a calcaneal osteotomy. I had been NWB for 6 horrible weeks. Had severe pains mainly due to the cast. I could feel needles inside all around my foot in the scars areas, so much so that I had wild halucinations about insects eating me from within the wounds. I was sure that there was something wrong with the inside of the cast itself which was *****ing and supposedly full of bumps. Resting the cast against almost any surface, even padded one, hurted like hell after a few minutes, because I have incisions on three sides. It turned out that the cast was OK (I looked as soon as it was removed). The pains were from the scars, which cicatrized with bits of skin and blood, hard as stones!
I found the advice here so usefull! Especially the one about dealing with stairs. (I can't find it but the woman who wrote it saved me. Thank you!!!)
I have stairs at home and no bathroom downstairs. The stairs problem kept me occupied and worried for weeks before the operation.
I somewhat improved the method described in that post . I use (still) a small pillow (like a livingroom pillow). I also use 2 regular walkers, one for each floor.
[U][B]Going up[/B][/U]: Standing in front of the stairs I lean a bit forward and put the pillow on the third step. I then put my "bad" knee (i.e. the one of the bad foot) on the pillow, and pull myself up putting the "good" foot on the stair below the pillow. This foot is my lever! I then repeat the process: Taking the pillow, putting it on the third step. Knee, "good" foot, etc. Please note: I am rather tall; therefore the 2 stairs interval is right for me. Shorter people will do it with 1 stair intervals. When I get to the end of the stairs I use the rails and/or the wall to raise myself and hold the walker which awaits me there, to go wherever I need. You can also use a chair but u still have to push yourself up. This is the trickier part.
[U][B]Going down[/B][/U]: The lady who first suggested this method advised to go down on your butt. I tried this, but found it abused my upper arms and shoulders, as I also have a "frozen shoulder" situation. Therefore, a revised technique… which is basically the same as going up. You just have to figure a way to get down to the floor level. [U]Facing upwards[/U], you put a/the pillow on the first or second stair, where you rest your bad knee. Then you send your good foot down to wherever it reaches on the stairs, take the pillow and repeat the process downstairs till you meet your walker.
I use a square 15 inches pillow.
Thru all this process you must hold the rails.
I suggest practicing this procedure. It saved me.
I have more tips, but this will have to wait for tomorrow.

Last edited by rutshi; 01-28-2011 at 12:19 PM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rutshi For This Useful Post:
denise7345 (11-26-2012), lschulk (03-24-2011), prico54 (09-01-2012)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #71
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

To Jacgood. I borrowed my knee scooter from the physio dept. of the NHS hospital where I had my surgery. It cost me nothing.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #72
(female)

rutshi HB User

Hi,
Here are some more tips:
The above mentioned tactics of using the "bad" foot's knee also served me in other ways. In the bathroom I put a stool, toped with a pillow (which was tightened in place by 2 simple belts criss-crossed). It was placed near the sink and I could spend the time I needed for my toilette routine. Almost as good as standing on both feet.
When going to the bathroom, I put that knee on the toilet seat while pulling my cloths up and down.
In order to carry food (including hot meals, bowls, drinks etc.) from the kitchen to the armchair where I spent most of the time I used the following method: I go to the kitchen with my walker, all the while pushing forward an office chair (the kind with wheels). I prepare my food/coffee etc., place it on a tray (preferably one with a high ridge), and place it on the seat of the chair. Then while humping/going back, I again push the chair - this time very carefully. Until I get close to my seat. Voila!!!
I hope the above info will be useful.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #73
(female)

jacgood HB User

Thanks to everyone for their "tips" .
All i got given from hospital was crutches, which i couldn't use. My mum hired me a cheep wheel chair from the Redcross which i now use as a knee scooter which has swivel wheels.
I`m managing well thanks to all the helpful advise from this thread.
Thanks to all x

Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #74
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

If it comes to having to have surgery when I see the ortho this week, I am seriously considering borrowing an AV cart from the school I work at, or something similar (the kind of wheeled cart they push projectors around on) so I can move things from room to room while on crutches. Hubby is retired and did lots, but there are times when you want to do it yourself or no one is there to help.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #75
(female)

Georgia chicken HB User
Smile Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

The cart sounds like a great idea. I wonder if you can find used ones at a thrift store.
G.C.

Closed Thread