It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #76
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

[QUOTE=Georgia chicken;4672517]The cart sounds like a great idea. I wonder if you can find used ones at a thrift store.
G.C.[/QUOTE]

I think so -- anything with a flat top and wheels on it would work.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #77
(female)

Drud HB User

I want to add my thanks for the many, many helpful posts here!

I am having (all on my right leg) my knee "scoped" and the joint "cleaned up"; my ankle also scoped and a brostrom procedure on that ankle to tighten up the lateral ligaments. The doc originally said I needed an osteotomy, but has since decided he does not think that will be needed. So my recovery will be much easier.

So I am looking at around 2 weeks in the surgical splint/dressing; 4 or so weeks in a cast and then a boot. Probably 3-4 weeks completely NWB. I am spending the next couple of days trying to get everything needed to make life easier for my poor husband (he works from home) who will have to do everything he does PLUS everything I currently do around here. I am looking forward to getting this DONE, already!

Best to you all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #78
(female)

howcome HB User

WOW! You are thorough! This list should be given out to every post-op patient.

You are the best!

Thank you

Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #79
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

Bumped up for newbies xx

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #80
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

knee walker is a life saver......

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #81
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Bump for newbies

Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #82
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Bumped for newbies

Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #83
(female)

12girlygirl HB User12girlygirl HB User

Great idea Firelady on bumping this.
I wanted to post to give everyone an update on my recovery.
I am now 27 weeks post op (which is 6 3/4 month). I had a Ptt tendon transfer, sliding cal. osteotomy with screw in heal, and gastroc recession. I went to the grocery store today without my knee scooter and without having to use the electric chair. It felt great to walk in and walk out. It wasn't a big shopping trip but it was shopping. This is a long recovery and very frustrating at times. I had 2 cortizone injections last week in my heal at the top and bottom of my osteotomy site. Other than heal pain, I am doing pretty well. I just got new orthotics on Friday and it has helped my arch pain tremendously and no longer have any arch pain. I can stand on one leg (meaning my surgical foot) for a total of 45 seconds now. I can only ride an airdyne bike at the gym and lift weights. Whenever I try to do the eliptical, that puts pressure on my heal, so PT said to avoid eliptical for the time being. I am regaining strength slowly in my big toe. Not sure if I will ever be able to pick up things with my toes anymore, lol. I thought I would be walking a much further distance by now, but I guess that is to come. I would say I can walk a 1/4 of a mile before the pain starts in. So, i am about where I was prior to surgery, so from here on out, it can only get better. I pray all of you are keeping your spirits up and remember this board is here and we are all willing to listen and give advice.
Hugs to you all.
Missy

Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #84
(female)

frankenfoot HB User

Thank you for the update. It is so helpful to hear others progression and challenges. I still have a long road ahead of me but it's ok because I finally feel like I'm in an upward spiral instead of a downward spiral. Big difference! Keep posting!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #85
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

I've decided that I will make some knee pads for use after my next surgery in case I'm NWB. It'll give me something to do and they'll be useful in the garden too as the weather gets nicer.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #86
(female)

12girlygirl HB User12girlygirl HB User

Hey, just wanted to post my milestone today. I am 1 week shy of 7 mo. post op. I walked to the end of my driveway and back yesterday which is 1100 feet one way. So, combined its 2200 feet. That's close to a half a mile. Yeahhhh.
And I stood one legged on my surgery foot today for 60 seconds. I finally did it. I have been trying to get to that 1 minute mark for ever. So, hang in there everyone, there is achievements in store for you.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: 12girlygirl
adbow (03-25-2011), Firelady1 (03-20-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to 12girlygirl For This Useful Post:
Pwincessnic (09-24-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #87
(female)

frankenfoot HB User

That is fantastic! Congratulations! I hope to be there some day....just want my right foot to be there by October so I can get the left foot done. Big sigh...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #88
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

I'm wondering if there is a way to have these ideas put as a "sticky" so this message doesn't need to be bumped regularly? THere are so many good tips it's great to have as a resource for those newly incapacitated.

Closed Thread