It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

A year and a half ago, I had a calcaneal osteotomy with two pins and a tendon repair and transfer on my left foot and ankle for PTTD, and later, a cheilectomy of my left great toe.

Before my surgeries, I read every post on every thread that had anything to do with flat feet, PTTD, bone spurs, and foot surgery for all-of-the-above. All you smart, lovely people had so many good ideas! I kept a list. I added to the list.

Here's the list.

Please add to it!

sending hugs,
Lisa

Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

Pre-op:

Arrange to have someone home with you for at least the first two weeks, if at all possible.

Assess your home for obstacles (cords, area rugs, etc.) and remove them for the duration.

Temporarily rearrange furniture to clear pathways.

Plug in automatic night-lights throughout your home—sometimes you will be up in the night and, perhaps, unwilling to disturb family members by turning on lights. Because automatic nightlights don’t need to be turned off and on, they’ll be on when you need them.

Make a “nest” area, stocked with books and magazines, laptop, phone, glasses, pen and paper, tv remote, reading light, tissues, lip balm, lotion, hobby supplies, light blanket, CDs and player, mini-fridge or cooler, drinks and snacks, hand wipes, etc.

Practice using your chosen locomotion devices—knee-walker, crutches (on stairs, remember “up with the good, down with the bad”), wheelchair, and/or walker (lean on the walker and hop on one foot while non-weight-bearing, later you can use it for partial weight- bearing).

Plan strategies for daily tasks (bathing, dressing, dining, etc.) and organize as necessary—all your after-shower supplies in a basket, for example, or laying out your clothes in the order you will put them on. It’s frustrating to need one thing you can’t reach.

If you prefer baths to showers, do a trial-run to see if you can safely get up and out of a wet tub without the use of one foot. It’s extremely difficult and not recommended.

Experiment with sleeping positions—keeping your foot elevated while lying on your side is difficult, and you probably won’t want to put pressure on your incisions. Play with collections of pillows until you find a comfortable set-up. If you’re not used to sleeping on your back, you may want to try it with your head and shoulders propped. Try pillows under your elbows, too.

Make your bed with the covers untucked at the foot of your side of the bed. If you find that there aren’t enough covers to go around your foot and over your propped leg and still cover the rest of you, use a throw-sized blanket to compensate.

Experiment in the car—can you sit facing forward in the back seat with your leg elevated on the folded down front seat, or will you be sitting sideways in the back seat? What pillows will you need for propping and for comfort?

Stock the freezer with easy meals. Consider posting an inventory on the door as a help for helpers.

Obtain a temporary Handicapped placard (doctor’s note required) just prior to surgery. It is time limited and the countdown begins when it’s purchased.

Make arrangements for pets, if you have any, for the duration.

Hydrate well in the days just before surgery. It will make it easier to find a vein for IVs.

Exfoliate your foot and leg pre-op—you’ll be slightly happier when your splint comes off.

Write “NO!” on the wrong foot with a Sharpie marker.

Alert your care team—surgeon, anesthesiologist, pre-op, op, and post-op nurses, in writing and verbally (repeatedly!), of drug and nickel allergies. Don’t assume that because someone is the anesthesiologist’s assistant (for example) that she knows you’re allergic to a pain med. Be obnoxious. Tell every single new face that appears at your bedside.

Ask both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist for popliteal and saphenous nerve blocks to help you avoid the brunt of post-op pain (both blocks will be needed to cover all parts of your foot). Nerve blocks can last up to eighteen hours.

Ask both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist about an “OnQ Ball” pain pump (connected to a catheter in your foot, it delivers pain meds to the surgical site for three days) which goes home with you, or patient-controlled IV pain meds during your stay in the hospital.

Consider bringing goodies for your care team (baggies of homemade cookies, etc.). Pass them out pre-op.

Post-op:

Be patient with yourself. Be patient with helpers.

Keep your foot elevated (toes above the nose) while eating, sleeping, in the bathroom, etc.

Remember that general anesthesia can cause you to be hyper-emotional for a few weeks or months.

When friends ask if they can help, say yes—and be specific (laundry done, transportation needed, children picked up from school, etc.).

When at home, wear knee-length bathrobes, no undies—much easier to maneuver in the bathroom.

When out, sweatpants or other stretchy knit pants will fit over your splint.

Get outside the house, even if just out to the backyard.

Do not stay in your bedroom when at home—avoid cabin-fever.

Take pain meds on schedule—it’s easier to keep ahead of pain than to quell it.

Be aware of the number of doses of pain meds you have remaining—“C2s” have different rules than other drugs. Your pharmacy must receive an original prescription. Someone can bring your prescription to the pharmacy or your doctor can mail it, but it can’t be phoned or faxed in. There are no refills on C2s. If you need more (and you probably will because your doctor will be writing for small amounts of pain meds at a time for obvious reasons), your doctor will write a new prescription. Leave enough time for the process. 2:00 AM Saturday is a bad time to run out.

Take pain meds an hour before seeing your doctor and physical therapist (those visits tend to smart).

Use ice judiciously on your foot, ankle, and also behind your knee (blood vessels there are close to the surface and cool the blood headed toward your surgery sites).

Be careful to avoid frost-bite while icing (it has happened, and resulted in amputation).

Have coolers next to your “nest” and bed that your helpers will re-stock morning and evening with extra ice and/or ice-packs.

Tuck a hand towel into your collar while eating (it’s difficult to eat neatly with your foot elevated—you will be leaning back and the plate probably won’t be close to your mouth—you’re gonna drop stuff).

Make use of store provided motorized carts (but make sure they’re fully charged lest you become stranded). Put a pillow on the edge of the basket to cushion your elevated leg.

Do not use peroxide on healing incisions—it can promote scarring.

Keep sun off incisions—it permanently darkens scars.

Once healed, firmly massage incisions to break up adhesions.

See a physical therapist as soon as your doctor gives the go-ahead. Do the assigned exercises religiously. You don’t want to go through all of this and not get the best possible outcome. Extra effort at this point feels great and pays off big.

Discuss with your doctor:

There have been studies that suggest nickel allergy may be the underlying cause of failure of surgical hardware made from surgical stainless steel (which may, by law, contain up to 15% nickel). If your surgery requires that screws or other hardware be left in your body and you are sensitive to nickel (often manifested in “infections” of pierced ears) you may wish to request that only titanium hardware be used.

If you’re older, consider seeing a geriatrician prior to surgery—many drugs, particularly pain meds, react differently than expected in our bodies as we age.

If you’re older, consider seeing a cardiologist prior to surgery—foot surgery is physically demanding. Please be certain you can tolerate it.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is called a “potentiator.” It can help other drugs work better. If your doctor and pharmacist give the ok, and if no other drugs you are taking contain acetaminophen, you may take one Tylenol with your pain meds when you need an extra boost. Please remember that many drugs (such as Hydrocodone) contain acetaminophen. Taking too much acetaminophen can damage your liver irreparably.

There have been studies that suggest taking a Cox-2 inhibitor NSAID such as Celebrex for three days prior to surgery can improve post-op pain control (Cox-2 inhibitors do not thin the blood as other NSAIDs do and are usually allowed in the week prior to surgery). In addition, some studies have shown that continuing to take a Cox-2 inhibitor for a week or so after surgery can help prevent surgical adhesions and lessen scarring.

There have been studies that suggest applying Celebrex topically to surgical incisions can help limit scarring. PCCA Certified compounding pharmacies can, with a doctor’s prescription, make a sterile compound of 200mg Celebrex in 40ml KY Jelly to be applied topically each time your splint is changed and, once your splint is removed, twice a day thereafter until the compound is gone.

There have been studies that suggest that stopping low-dose aspirin abruptly may precipitate a cardiac event. It may be a good idea to gradually taper off your daily low-dose aspirin (if you take it) so that you’re taking none by the week prior to surgery.

Useful stuff to have:

*Knee-walker (Roll-A-Bout is one brand), crutches, wheelchair, and/or walker (and later a regular or quad cane).

*Weight lifter’s gloves (if using crutches, wheelchair, or walker).

*Walker tray (if using walker)—useful for carrying things.

*Shower chair or transfer bench

*Suction mounted grab bars

*Cast cover (much easier than baggies) for showering without getting your splint wet.

*Toilet chair for the commode (with arms, so you can get up without blowing out your knees).

*Compression hose (knee high, with or without toes, fitted by your pharmacy—they come one to a package. You’ll want at least four. One brand is Jobst) for later.

Regular or *seat-lift recliner chair

Backpack, messenger bag, or tote bag to carry things while your hands are busy with crutches, etc.

Velcro straps, useful for attaching ice-packs, etc.

Small zippered bag to attach to knee-walker, walker, or wheelchair with Velcro straps.

Lightweight, portable stool the right height to prop your foot while sitting in the shower, on the commode, etc.

Hand-held shower

Flexible ice-packs with Velcro straps and cloth covers—get more than you think you need.

Extendable “grabber”

Portable phone with extra handsets

Cooler bags and/or coolers, mini-fridge

Contour memory foam bed pillow to cushion your knee on the knee-walker (also useful in the car and bed to keep your leg from rolling, as a book or laptop rest, and for many other uses). Aside from my knee walker, possibly the most useful item I purchased.

Wedge pillow (polygon, not triangle shaped) for elevating your foot. Some names for these are Leg Wedge, Orthopedic Wedge, and Leg Elevator. < edited > For comfort, get one wide enough to prop both legs.

Various body pillows, bed pillows, and throw pillows for propping comfort

Automatic nightlights (that turn off in the daytime or when other lights are on)

Miralax (a gentle, pleasant to use remedy for opioid-induced constipation)

Bach Rescue Remedy drops (calming)

Arnicare gel (for sore muscles—particularly in your thighs and hands that are being used in new ways). For best results, use it at least three times per day.

Silicone scar pads (to limit scarring)

High quality topical vitamin E (used under scar pads to help limit scarring)

*Insurance may cover rental or purchase of items marked with an asterisk.
Your pharmacy may order many listed items for you upon request.

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-28-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

The following 7 users give hugs of support to: LisaBdot
adbow (04-06-2011), allydownthehole (09-19-2011), cindicat (06-29-2011), ebarbara (12-21-2011), Jennifer51 (04-02-2011), Lilyfoot (04-09-2011), profmia (07-28-2011)
The Following 76 Users Say Thank You to LisaBdot For This Useful Post:
12girlygirl (10-25-2010), abq2020 (09-20-2011), Abylim (03-22-2011), adbow (03-25-2011), allydownthehole (09-19-2011), Anisette (08-27-2012), applepie2424 (06-28-2012), beccaqt7 (04-26-2011), belladog (01-31-2012), bess0006 (11-02-2011), bestyet02 (01-21-2012), BubbleGuppy (03-31-2012), Buggster59 (02-11-2012), candydimples (08-21-2012), Carbonfiber139 (07-05-2012), CgrBuff (09-16-2012), Cleocat (10-12-2012), d9r17 (07-19-2012), Dartmouth (07-03-2012), dulce2 (11-01-2012), ekellar (11-26-2011), Emerald31 (05-28-2011), erin4 (05-14-2011), GARobin (01-17-2012), Gleegirl (12-22-2010), Grace404 (08-19-2011), gumpa (08-13-2011), Helen255 (02-07-2012), j8oxas (11-14-2011), jellygirl (04-17-2011), Jennifer51 (04-02-2011), JennMO (05-28-2011), jessigrl (11-29-2010), justcallmema (07-05-2012), kare62 (09-03-2012), Kerkyra (11-30-2010), kirbside (09-18-2012), LA Rita (12-04-2011), LabGimp (10-04-2012), LapidusBunion (05-14-2012), Lausa (08-01-2012), lbroadway (06-08-2012), LifestruckSara (04-07-2012), LisaLouLou (10-21-2012), lola456 (11-14-2011), Lollipop Mom (12-13-2011), London Chap (11-28-2010), LoriLynnB (03-11-2012), lregracie (07-27-2012), luv2Boutside (06-21-2012), mandy41 (07-25-2011), MeganV (07-04-2011), missyc75 (02-13-2012), OcdInsc (07-04-2012), Perimaud (11-03-2010), pilko (06-28-2012), planemark (12-04-2011), profmia (07-29-2011), rczcraze (08-02-2011), RollTide09 (04-07-2012), rosiemay2 (11-05-2012), runnerwriter (08-08-2011), rutshi (11-27-2010), sfoot58 (05-17-2011), Sore Left Foot (01-09-2012), susaj (10-08-2011), swatdog (09-28-2012), Swediemom (12-17-2011), tidybol (04-25-2012), VAgal54 (10-28-2012), Veuvelover (02-02-2011), Virsul (12-01-2010), vrouw63 (04-18-2011), wynnshire (07-15-2012), xxrafflesxx (08-01-2012), Zoeys Grammy (05-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

Great list! I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments/additions:

* my doctor had me take aspirin for the month following surgery to avoid blood clots, since I was inactive for that month.

* I covered my crutches and walker handles with foam padding covered with polar fleece to make them more comfortable.

* my friend bought me a few pairs of soft fluffy socks that had rubbery bumps on the bottom so I didn't slip.

* be careful when attaching a bag to the front of a walker and filling it with heavy items because it can get tipsy and pull you forward.

* I had a friend make a spreadsheet for my drugs and then I put them in a large pill dispenser - it had 7 days, 4 compartments/day. That way I knew if I had pills left, that I forgot to take them. Or if none were left, I remembered! LOL!

* the spinal block should be mandatory. I didn't have one with my first foot in August and was in pain for weeks. I had one with my second surgery in December and the pain was minimal. I also had less swelling with the block.

* if you have to sleep in a boot, loosen it up a bit before going to bed. Your foot needs to stay stable, but it doesn't need to be as tight as when you're walking around.

* get some extra keys made for your helpers so you don't have to open the door for them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jane806 For This Useful Post:
allydownthehole (09-19-2011), belladog (10-14-2011), dulce2 (11-01-2012), LA Rita (12-04-2011), RollTide09 (04-07-2012), Sore Left Foot (01-09-2012)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

<<I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments/additions>>

No I don't mind! That's the whole idea. Each of us has encountered problems and solved them brilliantly. Let's share.

My friend Bob doesn't post here, but shared this with me:

<<
You're list looks pretty good. I would add a couple of things:

· Sports type pants with the snaps or zippers down the sides work WONDERFULLY!

· Keep a remote phone/Cell phone with you at all times within close reach in the case of drug reactions/interactions if unsupervised

· Ask the doctor to make sure you are on a blood thinner while healing and monitor for DVTs at all times (Have a lot of experience with this) Once you get a DVT, you cannot get rid of it, only manage the effects with more drugs. More are likely once getting the first as well.

· Eat YOGURT to avoid the nasty complications of taking the antibiotics you will be given.

· DO YOUR PT!!!!!!!!!

I would share with any surgery patients!
>>

I had to look it up: DVT=deep vein thrombosis.

Love, love, love the cell phone suggestion. One proviso, though. I used to carry my cell in my bra (I know, but I never seem to have pockets in my pants when I want them). People kept telling me they couldn't reach me. I kept getting "no signal" errors when I tried to make a call. Apparently my cell was getting too hot (cue the hot mamma jokes).

On an older post someone just pointed out, (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=608502)
were these tips:

<<
dncergrl53
(female)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before my surgery I wanted advice about how to prepare. Now, even though I am only one week post surgery, I want to share my ideas and I invite others to do the same.

Mindset: Ask what is the maximum you can do, to get the best outcome, not the minimum. That way, you can make concessions and still be safe. Ask about weight bearing, range of motion, elevating, icing, drugs and side effects, how to minimize side effects such as stomach problems, when it is ok to travel and to fly. Ask friends for dates for rides for follow-up appointments.

Prepare to have the foot elevated for up to 8 weeks, pending your procedure. Even though your foot might feel fine, there is a lot of growing going on, under the surface that you want undisturbed.

Weeks before: Get a haircut, pre-pay your bills, do all the laundry, drop off stuff at the dry cleaners, arrange for the lawn, buy TV dinners, arrange for food delivery, do favors for your friends to bank good karma. Wash the windows in your recovery room. Buy books, borrow DVDs and laptop. Ask the boss if you can do paperwork from home and get paid for your hours. Buy a new lipstick (ladies) or some small luxury to save as your post-surgical present to yourself.

Practice moving around pre-surgery without weight bearing. Go up and down stairs, in and out of shower/tub. Rig up pillows in bed under your knees and feet so that feet are elevated as you sleep. Find a comfy position on the couch and get your pillows ready. Practice sleeping in a new position with your feet up higher than your head. Your foot will love you in the morning.

Rent a knee scooter and a shower chair, if you can afford it. Sometimes the Red Cross has things like this cheap. Practice with your equipment. Find chairs on wheels to put on each level of your house. Hang a bag on the back. Put small weights or even soup cans to lift near your couch so you can exercise a bit.

Tell all your friends you will need them to visit over the 8 weeks and to bring lunch so you can finally have lunch with them after all these years.

Night before: Put a basket of comfy clothes (no thick seams to lay on) & your PJs near your bedside so you can get dressed in bed without having to move much. Put a toothbrush on each level. Soak your feet in a warm, soapy tub and GENTLY file off tops of dirty calouses. (No time to get an infection!) Wash and moisturize. Clean and clip toenails. Put on clean cotton socks to keep your pristine feet clean. Tell your feet you love them and all will be ok. (Some of you may want to skip that part.)

On surgery morning, do whatever relaxes you: listen to favorite music, go to gym for last time, go for walk. Bring knee scooter to surgery. Breathe deep, blow out and relax as freezing goes in. You are on the road to having a new and better foot!

Go home and enjoy your rest and recovery. You earned it!
>>

Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming.
hugs,
Lisa

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LisaBdot For This Useful Post:
CgrBuff (09-29-2012), dulce2 (11-01-2012), lregracie (07-27-2012), luv2Boutside (06-21-2012), Silkycard2 (03-18-2012), Sore Left Foot (01-09-2012)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I was non WB on both legs. The hospital gave me a 2' transfer board to slide from wheel to chair to whatever. It was really hard to use for vehicles. A friend made me a 3' board. You could just cut a 1x8, but he sanded it down nice for me.

I took the doors off most rooms. Put curtains up in bathrooms. My dad made a ramps so I could get outside.

Wireless router and laptop is great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Freedom711 (07-23-2012), RollTide09 (04-07-2012)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Wow, awesome list. i have to add: get an MP3 player and load it with your favorite music. This has really helped to calm me in those first weeks. Also, if you are renting a knee scooter make sure you get one with a basket and swivel wheels. I keep my knee scooter with me always and the basket carries a liter bottle of water, my pain meds, an ace bandage to wrap on ice packs, lip balm, dental floss, an underwear pad (i was too slow getting into the toilet the first 2 weeks so I had to wear panti=liners), body lotion, a paperback book, my cell phone and charger, the tv remote, my mp3 player, a hairband, nausea wrist bands, a pad of paper and pen, a sudoku book and 2 pencils, and a couple pieces of fresh fruit. Whew, it's a small basket but it all fits!
And the 3 things I most "couldn't do without" would be 1) my shower chair, 2) my leg elevation wedge pillow, and 3) my ace bandage to keep the ice packs just where I want them.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahluke For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-06-2012)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
(female)

My brother-in-law, an orthopedic surgical nurse, has told me that the OnQ Ball pain pump isn't being used in foot surgery much anymore because some patients suffered some tissue damage, perhaps because there isn't really a lot of room in the joints of the foot for the marcaine.

Thought I should pass that along.

All the best,
Lisa

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

The thing I just couldn't do without durring my healing period after my back surgery first and now this one was a Jean purse my sister had made me some years ago. When I was on the walker I hung it on the side and would carry my goodies from one room to another and now that I'm on crutches I hang the long strap around my neck and carry what I need from one place to another. Another thing I do is wear hoodies with pockets in the front and when I need to get something from the fridg and take it to the counter or visa versa I just stuff it in my pockets!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
(female)

CAPoppy HB User

All of the things in the first post are really true! (I don't know about the anesthesia one)

These are the things I am especially happy I did

Before:

1. Buying easily-made/warmed meals (frozen pizzas, ravioli, apple sauce cups, pudding cups).
2. Having a list on the refrigerator door of 1. meals, and 2. snacks (that you could make from the things in the fridge). If you have someone helping you, it means they know where everything is and what they can make, and it means you have fewer decisions to make (because you'll just want it to be easy).
3. Clearing a path
4. Creating a nest (like everyone else said: have those remote controls, books, cell phone and charger, laptop with wireless connection, and little projects to do ready.

After:

1. A "DryCorp" waterproof cast protector. They advertise that you can swim or dive off of diving boards with them on. I'm not going to do that, but you probably can. It cost me $60 once I factored in tax and shipping, but was worth it to be able to take anxiety-free showers and baths. You can probably get it for $45-$50 with regular shipping. I tried the regular cast protectors you get at drug stores (Curad brand), and I never really felt sure they were going to hold. I only wish I had ordered it BEFORE my surgery, since it would have been nice to have it as soon as possible rather than late in the game.

2. Made a tall stack of pillows (4 couch cushions high) so I can prop my legs onto it ("nose below my toes") on the couch. I thought I'd have to do it just in the 72 hours after surgery, but I've ended up needing to stay in that position for six weeks instead. I'm glad I figured it out early. I like to call it "Sea Otter Position," since you end up looking like a sea otter (especially if you eat that way).

3. Set an alarm on my iPhone where I customized the alarm notes to say which medications I'm supposed to take when. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

NEW THINGS

1. Have a plan for your trash. Will you put a bin next to your couch? Who will empty it? Throwing that banana peel in there seems like a good idea at the time, but two days later...
2. Rent sets of whole TV series on DVD. You can watch only a few episodes, or just keep going if you're trying to distract yourself.
3. I made the mistake of using my time to order things online that I had been meaning to order for a long time. Unfortunately, if you order things that need a signature but you don't make it to the door in time, you might miss your goods! I wish I had used an alternative address so someone else could collect my packages for me.
4. Go to the library and check out a lot of books. My favorites were mystery novels and mystery short stories. I usually don't read them, but they were great for distraction, and the short stories were short enough to put down and then pick up again with another one later.
5. In general, have some plan for getting things into and out of your apartment or house: trash, groceries, library books, videos, and mail. Maybe it's as simple as having a neighbor stop by once a day to trade old books for new ones. But if you don't have a two-way system, you'll go crazy!

The Following User Says Thank You to CAPoppy For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-06-2012)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
(female)

Canadian Chick HB User

Great job!!

Some of things that I couldn't have done without are:

Shower bench-a lifesaver!! I also used the garbage can or a stool on the outside of the tub that I would prop my foot up on while sitting in the shower. Don't let your foot hang down.

Office chair on wheels. I have hardwoods and it was my break from using crutches. I would wheel myself around home on the chair. It also meant I could carry a plate of food or a cup of coffee.

A long body pillow. Much more comfortable than propping your foot up on pillows. It supports your entire leg.

Massages-I went for these often. Using crutches is hard on your body-shoulders, neck, back, good leg...

My favourite ice pack is a bag of frozen peas!

Heating pad is nice on the shoulders and back after using crutches.

Narcotic meds often create constipation. Have stool softners on hand and bran muffins.

Get outside often, even if it means just sitting on the front steps.

Maybe not so important when it's not a hot summer but someone taught me to slip a long Mr. Freezie down the inside of my cast for a minute or 2 to help with the horrible heat of the summer. It was awesome!!!

I also heard that Benadryl can help with itching. I didn't take it and check first if you are on other meds.

If you are going in for mutliple cast changes-bring lotion for your leg to use in between!!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

"Maybe not so important when it's not a hot summer but someone taught me to slip a long Mr. Freezie down the inside of my cast for a minute or 2 to help with the horrible heat of the summer. It was awesome!!!"

LOVE this idea. IF I ever have another cast (hope not) I'll have to try this trick!

A little note on the lotion - great idea for all of the dry skin, but be careful if you still have an open incision or stitches. I would be extra cautious to not let the lotion get near it.

A couple of additions -
Get rid of the rugs in your house - they are a hazard.
Don't let nwb get in the way of enjoying your life. You can still do things - you just have to do it differently. Get creative!
Practice using crutches before surgery - especially around your house. You will want to make sure there is a clear path to important places like the bathroom and the kitchen.

Step

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

A little word of caution on the roll about. I would suggest getting one that looks like a scooter where the bench is actually perpendicular to your hips because it is more convenient and easier to steer. The "knee walker" is actually more like a good old fashioned walker with a bench for your knee. I got this one first by mistake and it was almost impossible to steer and very inconvenient.

Good luck and keep us "posted."

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Instead of an office chair, you could get a wheel chair. If you want to go any long distances outside the house, you are probably going to need one. Though having an office chair on a floor of the house you don't use as much, is probably not a bad idea.

Most of all, you just got to wait it out.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #13
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

To save money I tried using an office chair for wheeling around the house and it didn't work at all. My carpet was a little too thick. I worked great for my sister-in-law though and she has low-pile berber carpet. I hated pushing myself backwards. I couldn't do the wheelchair either because I have dogs, cats, and kids -- and the pathways were never clear enough. I also tried using the seated walkers which are very affordable to own but I was too short (5'4") to put my knee up on the seat. I heard it works great for tall people. In the end I opted to rent a steerable knee scooter with a basket for 6 weeks. It was expensive where I live but in my opinion a must. It was very maneuverable and thin enough to get everywhere. I only used it around my house because it was heavy and too hard to get into my car by myself.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Cool Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

Hello, I've been reading posts before and after after my PTTD surgeries. Post surgery 5weeks today. Found tons of helpful info. Thanks everyone.

One suggestion I haven't seen is an odd apparatus intended for camping or hiking so women can pee standing up. I got a Freshette funnel that was wonderful when I couldn't get out of bed to urinate. I could however then use the funnel, comes with a short hose that extends out 6inches, to pee into a container. I also have used it in public bathrooms where the toilets were too low to be able to stand back up. Or there were no handicapped rails. I suggest practicing before your surgery! I am heavy and my biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to be NWB or fall. This solved it.

My second favorite item is the knee walker. It's only good in the house and for short distances. But for that it's great. If you have narrow halls ways or bathrooms get one with swiveling wheels. It's harder to steer (just go slow) but best in small spaces.

My 3rd favorite and one I used all day long until I went back to work (tele-commuting by remote PC) was my IPad and Netflixs. I have watched dozens of movies Nd old TV shows. Have you ever seen all the old The Avengers Programs? I didn't know it as a kid, but are they odd!!

My final fav is a gizmo that is designed for people who need to lie down in bed and work with a laptop. It's called "laptop laid-back". And it's worth every dollar of the $99 it cost. If you need to work and you can't spend more than a few minutes upright in a chair.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
(female)

eyelure HB User

i think lots of things have been mentioned here...but two things i wish i got before the surgery were a reclining chair (lazyboy recliner) and a pressure cushion due to sitting down most of the day pressure sores can develop.

Closed Thread