It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

helenbaz HB User
These are the procedures that doctor is recommending, would appreciate input please.

I have had RA for 30 years, and have had various surgeries as a result. Now I am needing the following done for a pronated foot. Thankfully the dr. said my ankle joint is still good. I had him to write these procedures down, so I could ask about them and would really appreciate hearing from anyone please. Also would appreciate if someone could sort of translate these procedures.
I am 65 and one of the things i am most worried about is getting around afterwards. He said I would be non weight bearing for a minimum of 6 weeks. I have had a shoulder, knee and elbow replaced so am worried about putting too much weight on them...

1. triple arthrodesis.
2. First metatarsal cuneiform arthrodesis with plantar flexion of the first ray.
3. Gastroc soleus lengthening.
4. Iliac crest bone marrow aspiration

Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: These are the procedures that docotr is recommending, would appreciate input plea

I had the flat foot reconstruction surgery 3.5 weeks ago but I did not have any joints fused. My doctor told me that if I had had any arthritis visible in the joints then he would have to do a fusion (arthrodesis) because the bones would need the support of a fusion. A triple arthrodesis means a fusion of 3 joints in the foot. I'm guessing that since it is for pronation that it will be the calcaneal-cuboid (outside edge of foot), calcaneal-cuneiform (instep of foot) and the cuneiform-first metatarsal (also the instep). I had the gastroc lengthening done just to release my tight calf muscle so that the muscle didn't pull too much on the new placement of the foot. The doctor made a 1.5 inch incision on my lower calf to do this. That isn't so bad at all. The first ray-cuneiform arthrodesis in plantar flexion just means that he will fuse the instep so that there is a natural arch shape again. The iliac crest aspiration must mean that he will be taking bone from your pelvis to fill in the joints of your foot. I chose to use cadaver bone in my surgery. My doctor gave me that option and said that it was a lot more comfortable than taking it out of the pelvis. Since you have RA maybe he feels that he has to use your own bone. That would be a good question to ask him. I would bet that at your age and your history that the NWB time for you will be more than 6 weeks. My doctor told me it averages between 6-10 weeks based on your health and age. I hope this helped. Good luck with your surgery and keep posting. The NWB period I am finding mentally difficult.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

helenbaz HB User
Re: These are the procedures that docotr is recommending, would appreciate input plea

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for answering and explaining it all to me.
I am dreading more than anything [well not more than being off meds] the NWB. I've been trying to image getting in the shower etc. My husband is very good to help, but I so much hate having to rely on someone else.
What have you used to get around? I've been reading about knee walkers and hope I can use one. It seems like they would be hard on arthritic knees..this is not the knee I have had replaced.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

I rented a knee roll-about with a basket (a must) and swivel wheels (another must). I had to pay extra for those 2 things but you'll need them! I also have a pair of crutches that I use when I go out of the house and I have a borrowed walker upstairs. I don't like the walker because I don't feel stable using it. I am using a shower seat which is definitely necessary. Bathing/ showering is tough and you need to give yourself a lot of time. I park my scooter right next to the shower so I can literally get on it straight from the shower. There was a lady in the waiting room who was using a knee scooter with a pillow strapped on the seat and she told me it was because she had had a knee replacement. She said it was fine once she started using the pillow but she warned to be very careful about the pillow slipping out which may cause you to lose balance. You can rent smaller "house" wheelchairs also. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
(female)

midwestmary HB User
Re: These are the procedures that doctor is recommending, would appreciate input plea

Just a comment regarding knee rollers/walkers. I did not like the ones with swivel wheels as I found them harder to steer and not as stable. There are many different types on the market for purchase or for rent so be sure to check out more than one brand. The medical supply place I use locally let me try them out - there is a difference in the stability of the different brands. I picked one that steers like a car and we got along great.

Take care,
Mary

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
(female)

helenbaz HB User
Re: These are the procedures that doctor is recommending, would appreciate input plea

Sarah and Mary, I apologize because I did not realize until today that you had responded. Thanks, my surgery is 1 week from today so after today I will be off of my meds, except methrotrexate, for 7 weeks. I know this will be the worst part.
I was able to get a power chair but I will still need to use crutches at times unless I try a knee walker. My problem is my "good foot" is really sore right now too.
Helen

Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

Helen, Good luck next tuesday. Stay positive! Any movement forward is a good thing. I'm glad you are getting a power scooter of some sort if your "good" foot os also sore. I am 11 weeks post-op and I had a knee scooter for the first 6 weeks then went exclusively crutches since then. I'm getting good on these crutches but there are some days when my "good foot and leg" can't handle it and those days are the hardest. Good luck again!

Closed Thread