It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Did anyone stay numb for weeks post op?

Hello, I am 3.5 weeks post op for a flat foot reconstruction. My big toe is still numb. Has anyone heard of this? My doctor said it isn't from cutting the nerve because he wasn't anywhere near that nerve. I had a popliteal and a saphenous block. I'm thinking the numbness must be from one of those? Does anyone know if it will go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

Allymaeshinelex HB User
Re: Did anyone stay numb for weeks post op?

I was numb for a long time after ankle surgery. The whole side of my foot, and my Dr did not cut a nerve either. He told me that it was normal, and I might regain feeling sometime. I took advantage of the lack of feeling, and got a tattoo!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I've had 3 surgeries so far. The first time my foot was numb for about 6 mos and all the feeling came back. With each surgery after that though, less feeling came back. But give it 6 mos at least. It takes awhile to get the feeling back, but it is normal to have some numbess following surgery.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I had that with the taylor bunionette surgery on my right foot.. my little toe was numb and I couldn't move it for almost a year. When I had nasal surgery this past October it was almost a month before I could fully "smile" again due to the nerves being interrupted. They WILL grow back, you just have to be patient.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Yes, I had flat foot surgery and I'm 6 weeks post-op....still numb, but getting better....very slowly. Everything I've read said it's quite normal. Take care!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Hey,
I had surgery 8/10/09 and there is a small area on the side of my ankle that is numb, like the feeling of being asleep but aware of being touched. It is weird. So I'm about 6 going on 7 months post op but I hope that will go away. My doctor said some feeling is good and it will come back eventually. I think if it doesn't hurt being able to live with a half numb feeling is a good thing, but I believe it will come back.
Hang in there!

Last edited by WorldWalker; 03-02-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

My surgeon said I could have numbness & swelling for up to a year. I had bunion surgery on my left foot in August and my right foot in December and still have numb areas on both feet. He said the best thing for me is to walk as much as I can.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

I had Mortons Neuroma Surgery 2 years ago and I still have numbness in my toes and an annoying feeling on ball of foot. NOT HAPPY!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
(female)

A Tattoo! That's great! It made me laugh -- always a silver lining to every grey cloud.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

sarahluke,

I had an ankle arthroscopy done a month ago yesterday. I, even though your procedure was much more serious, also had nerve and feeling issues at first. For a while, I couldn't feel my toes and the area around my incisions. This eventually went away at around 1-2 weeks post-op. Good luck with your recovery!

thefrosh

Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
(female)

I've had athroscopy on my knee years ago and have a patch of skin that is numb just superficially and that is OK but this numbness is my whole big toe and a little bit of the ball of the foot near that toe. It feels dead deep- not just superficial feeling. The doc motioned it out a few days ago and wasn't sure what it is at all but he didn't seem worried. The toe is also weak and I can't bend it or hold it bent if someone else bends it. Weird. I hope it gradually dissipates but so far after 4 weeks there is no change at all.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Sarah - you're still early in the healing process. Give it time and all of the sudden, you'll realize the numbness is almost gone and you can move your toe. I'm 3 months out on my second surgery and I've noticed I can raise my toe!

Closed Thread