It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

jennifer7791 HB User
flat feet

I have always had very flat feet, with pretty much no arch at all. Since the age of about 8 I suffered from knee pain when walking for extended periods of time or up/down hills and stairs. Recently, since about 16 as I can remember (im 18 now), the pain seems to have spread up to my back. Extended periods of time standing is extremely painful for me. In the last few weeks its become even worse, I went on a city holiday and within 1-2 hours i had to sit, which isnt much fun when trying to sight see. today my back has been hurting all day and whilst the pain increases when walking, moving etc it doesnt completely go even when lying in bed. Ive been left with a constant dull ache all day.

Has anyone else suffered from this, i have been told my knee problems are related to my flat feet and im pretty certain my back problem is related as well.
I had treatment for my flat feet when i was young but being young i didnt think of the consequences and never really followed it through.

ive been reading around and it looks like surgery is one possibility, this doesnt scare me too much so I wouldnt be adverse to it but I dont know if that is even suitable for my case.

Any advice on this would really help, im seeing my doctor tomorrow but as the nhs goes i doubt im going to get any help for a long time. has anyone else been in a similar situation.
Sorry for the really long post by the way.

Last edited by jennifer7791; 03-02-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

kindercarol HB User
Re: flat feet

Hi Jennifer,
I'm not sure what nhs. Could you please explain? Thanks.

Are you going to a doctor who specializes in foot problems? You could start with a podiatrist or an orthpaedic surgeon. Check around with people you trust to get the name of a doctor who has a lot of experience with flat feet.

Then, make sure you get a second or even a third opinion before you have any surgery. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm very hopeful for a full recovery, but the full recovery period is about a year.

Take Care!

Closed Thread