It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

kindercarol HB User
Heel Blister inside cast/boot

Hi,
I'm 6 weeks flat-foot post-op, and just got out of my cast 5 days ago. I'm now wearing a cam boot.

When the cast came off I went home and soaked my poor, beat-up looking foot in a container of warm water and soap, as the doctor ordered. I sponged off the dry skin on my leg and foot which felt great. However, I had a scab on the back of my heel (near, but not on a screw entry point) and it came off too, along with some peeling skin (like a sunburn peeling).

Anyway...I now have a red, sore, heel which is very painful (like a raw blister). The boot just aggrevates it. Suggestions, anyone??? Also, do you think I'll do damage if I leave the boot off to let it heal for a few days?

Good wishes and best of health to everyone reading/responding to this.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

Mandy50 HB User
Re: Heel Blister inside cast/boot

Hi Kindercarol,

I would apply Aquaphor liberally on it and cover it with perhaps some nonsticking gauze and paper tape. The ointment assists in healing. My dermatologist has recommended it lots and it works, but it takes a few days. When my daughter scraped her fingers (skin peeling off..ouch!), she was told to first soak it in a little bit of vinegar with several cups of water to disinfect, then air dry, apply the Aquaphor and then nonstick gauze pads with paper tape. All of these items are at any drug store like CVS or Walgreen's.

I would ask your doctor about the removal of the boot for healing. I suspect the doctor doesn't want you to walk without the boot, but perhaps whenever you are not on your feet, take the boot off for airing and healing? Good luck and good healing! I'm still in my cast as I'm only 3 weeks and a few days post-op. Again, wishing you thorough and speedy healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

sab288 HB User

kindercarol,

I had the same problem both times I was in my cam walkers. SWEAR by Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister Cushions. One can last two full weeks even between all the showering and sweating in my boots in 90 degree weather. They're great because they're SO breathable too.

They may be a little pricey ($4.99 for 6), but I'm still on my first box 2 rounds of cam walkers later, so they're definitely worth the investment. Nothing but great things from them.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi All,
I appreciate all your advice SO much. I'm on my way to a drug store now. I promise to keep my boot on whenever I'm up and "walking".

I called my surgeon on Monday, and he knows a lot about how to operate, but not so much about skin care. Overall, I think I'm having a very good recovery and am grateful for the many posts on this site. They've helped me understand this long journey.

Take Care!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hi Kindercarol,
Are you walking in your cam boot? I see your surgery was 2 weeks before mine and I was wondering how you were doing? Did you just go weight bearing with the new boot? How is it? I just had my 4 week post op appt and it went really well. I was having a hard time sleeping in my heavy moon walker boot so the doctor gave me a smaller, lighter night splint so I could sleep better -- only for sleeping he said. I have it on now and I am trying to get used to it. It holds my foot much more dorsiflexed than the "day" boot and it kind of pulls uncomfortably on my calf and incisions. I might have to build up tolerance to the splint. Anyway, I just wanted to keep in touch since our feet seemed similar.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sara,
I am not walking in my cam boot. I am almost 7 weeks post-op.

At 6 weeks, when my cast came off, my orthopaedic surgeon told me I could put up to 50% of my weight on the new foot (only while wearing the boot), but I'm nowhere near that. I continue to put almost all my weight on the walker. If I'm out of the house, I still use my knee scooter to get around, and don't even try to put any weight on my foot. I am very reluctant to use my booted foot. It just feels too "injured".

I am supposed to take off the cam boot 2 times a day, for 10 minutes, to flex/extend, and rotate my foot from right to left. When I do those exercises
I have very limited range of motion, but as I get to the end of the 10 minutes, my ankle feels looser.

May this message find you healthy and not too bored from sitting.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

Hi Kindercarol,
Good luck with your gradual weightbearing. I can start doing that in two weeks but honestly, even the thought of it scares me. I'm sure there will be a lot of pain involved to readjusting to a "new" foot but there is also a fear of injuring something. I've been getting around on crutches when I'm outside of the house because I can't get the kneescooter down the stairs to the car. I go out for very short periods because having my foot "down" when I'm crutching causes a lot of painful swelling. My doctor wants me doing lots of foot dorsiflexion too but no side to side movement, no rotation at all. Does your calf feel really, really tight? Did you have the gastroc lengthening procedure? When I dorsiflex as high as I can (which is only about 90 degrees) my calf muscle seems SO tight and I get a stretching pain in my arch first then the lateral side of foot. Do you get any of that?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sara,
The surgeeon told me he "nicked" my achilles tendon and pulled it down. (I don't know if there's a medical term for that) I do have pain when stretching, and it feels like I'm tearing the achilles tendon if I go too far...so I just stop when I get to that point of pain. My pain is in the bottom of my foot (the heel portion), and up the back of my heel, but it does not go up to my calf. I will push beyond it if the doctor or the physical therapist tells me it needs to be done. Right now, I'm just too scared I might damage something.

When I first got the cast off (11 days ago), I was disappointed that nothing had changed. My foot felt useless, I still had to keep my leg up all the time, and I wasn't able to bear any weight. (Having a removable boot and taking it off for sleep and showers was pretty cool though.)

Then, last night, my husband took me to see The Blind Side (great movie, btw), and I could actually feel my foot and kind of "limp -walk" with my walker for a while!!! Also, when we came home I was able to sit at our kitchen island for about 10 minutes with my foot down. YIPPEE!

This morning I'm back on the couch with my foot up, and I can't even do the limp-walk. So many people on these boards have recommended taking it slow and wait fot it...and now I have hope that I'm going to get there.

It's kind of like the "law of the farm" (S. Covey). Plant seeds, sunshine, water, and wait. It'll grow. We have to slow down, relax, and wait.
It's hard, but that's what we'll do.

Take Care,
Carol

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

Hi Kindercarol,
It is so nice to read a post that sounds like I could have written it myself! My achilles tendon feels the same way as yours. I do a lot of pulling my toes up towards my knee when I have an ice pack wrapped around my foot. It feels really good but then my arch feels quickly overworked afterward. I'm in no rush to do my own PT because like you said, I don't want to damage anything. Do you notice that your foot looks really different? Mine has a pretty visible arch and it is straight again on the pinky toe side. It looks great! Shoes are going to be a bear I think when I finally get in them. I still have to wear an AFO brace on the other foot which puts my right foot in a size 11 while my surgery foot will be in a 9. That means I'll have to buy 2 pair. Yikes!
That's exciting that you got to limp walk a little at the movies. A bit of progress is always good even if you're back on the couch the next day. Good luck! And, finally, I loved the Blind Side!
Take care,
Sarahluke

Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sara and Everyone,
Another week of recovery over.

I can see the arch in my "new foot". I think my pinky side was OK before, so I don't see anything different there. While I'm flexing my toes toward my face, it always feels like I'm going to tear something...it feels "wrong". I can't wait to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks and ask if I'm supposed to feel that pain or not. The doctor also said I could start PT in 2 weeks, after the next set of x-rays.

I've learned so much from these boards...way more than from my doctor. I was sure I'd just bounce right back. Silly me! I just didn't take it seriously enough when he said it would take one to two years to fully recovery.

Have a great weekend

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Kindercarol,
I feel the same "tearing" feel on the bottom of my foot when I flex my foot up. Everything is still healing in there and our feet haven't been past the "neutral" position since before surgery so it makes sense to feel that. My doctor said that is normal at my stage and not to push it. He said to let pain be my guide and be patient.
You'll start your PT a little before I start mine. Please post how it is! I am very nervous about it.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
(female)

Yoshii1997 HB User

[QUOTE=Mandy50;4196483]Hi Kindercarol,
i didn't have an operation but i did fall down steel stairs and it left a really nasty scab on the back of my heel it hurts like hell and also little blisters come up on it with fluid inside (GROSS) but what i did was aply lotion onto it and it is healing very well. I know this might not help but i thought i better tell you.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindercarol View Post
Hi Sara and Everyone,
Another week of recovery over.

I can see the arch in my "new foot". I think my pinky side was OK before, so I don't see anything different there. While I'm flexing my toes toward my face, it always feels like I'm going to tear something...it feels "wrong". I can't wait to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks and ask if I'm supposed to feel that pain or not. The doctor also said I could start PT in 2 weeks, after the next set of x-rays.

I've learned so much from these boards...way more than from my doctor. I was sure I'd just bounce right back. Silly me! I just didn't take it seriously enough when he said it would take one to two years to fully recovery.

Have a great weekend
I'm 11 weeks post op from ptt repair and tendon transfer, subtalar fusion and calf lengthening. Past 2 weeks pwb in boot. I stretch my Achilles, calf and ptt and point foot, curl toes. It burns and feels like a tear To flex after I've been walking, but if I ice -- a lot-- before stretching and massage or using pressure on the tight Achilles and calf before stretching then it feels pretty good. (actually massage first then ice). And when it hurts or burns I stop and wait until later or tomorrow. Seems to feel a bit better every day or so. Good luck.

Closed Thread