It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
How scary is starting PT?

I had a fantastic almost 4 weeks post-op appt after my flat foot reconstruction. The doctor says everything looks great and even ahead of schedule (yea!). He said I get to start weight-bearing (to my pain tolerance in 2 weeks) In 4 weeks, during my 8 week post op appt. he's going to get me up on my feet to take a few steps. While excited I had a moment of real fear. All I can imagine is pain. So, to anyone who has been through PT after an arch reconstruction.... how bad is it really? Do they push you to your limit? I'm chicken just thinking about eventhough I know it is absolutely neccessary to get a full recovery. What can I expect???

Last edited by sarahluke; 03-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: How scary is starting PT?

I was excited, for some one to help me to progress. Eager to get to the next phase. But I was pushing my wheel chair out to the driveway climbing in my truck or onto 4 wheeler. Sitting on my motorcycle trying to get it off the kickstand.

My therapist said some people just whine and say they can't, and they don't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

aed2113 HB User

Just make sure you go in with a good attitude. With the flat foot reconstruction they'll start you off slow with a lot of range of motion exercises, scar massages, and a little bit of strengthening. You might be a little sore the first few times you go but it's a good thing because that means you're getting stronger!!! I feel like I have been in PT for the last 3 years straight but I have to say I love it, I know that I wouldn't be able to come back as safely without someone there to guide me. It's important to really listen to the things they tell you and make sure you do the exercises at home, and try to appriciate the little achievements (like being able to do a heal raise for the first time) because eventually they will lead to the big stuff. Talk to your PT about it all, you know your limits better than anyone else and even though it might be scary to push them a little sometimes it's important to break those barriers to get to the next stage of your recovery, but trust me when you start to feel yourself getting stronger and walking normally it will all be worth it....

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

sarahluke,

Starting to walk is scary. I only had an ankle arthroscopy and it was painfull to start walking again, not to scare you. They started my on aggressive therapy, which i am still doing, but I am sure they will start easy with you because of the type of surgery you had. Don't be scared, it will all be worth it in the long run! Good luck!

thefrosh

Closed Thread