It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

beej64 HB User
Smile shattered heel, foot and broken ankle

Hey Everyone,
I need some advice,

I shattered my heel, foot and broke my ankle on january 27th of this year. for health issues they can't operate at all. i started in a soft cast and now am in a hard one until march 16th. the pain has gotten worse since the accident. the e.r. dr and my orthopedic dr. said its the worst they have ever seen. I am scared. I want to walk but have been down and obeying every rule because of the damage that was done and I am on predisone therapy for my lungs have been for almost 9 yrs. I shattered my the top of my right foot the same time last yr. and it was no where this bad. I have never had pain like this before and have nerve damage just about everywhere. has anyone had an experience like this and how was the outcome. the dr. are not that encouraging and I like to be optomistic about this. I want to walk. and what I have read so far is not all that encouraging either.
I would appreciate a response from anyone that can give me some insight into what I looking forward to.
thanks. beej64

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: shattered heel, foot and broken ankle

I shattered my calcaneous and talus. They couldn't do surgery cause it was to swollen. It healed back pretty good, I am glad they didn't do surgery. Its possible someday it may get fused. I suppose the same for you, they could fuse everything. But I am not doc.

Theres alot of waiting involved. I was 12 weeks without weight bearing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
(male)

camshaww HB User
Re: shattered heel, foot and broken ankle

I shattered my calcaneous way back in 1998 with a fall from over 40 feet. I can still remember the pain and fear from the whole incident. Broke many other bones in that fall, but my heel was by far the first. I was casted for over two weeks before first surgery. My original surgery lasted over ten hours, but was successful with no grafts. I think they saved like eight main pieces held together by two plates and six screws, which i still have. If you take nothing else from my reply, DO NOT try to push yourself now or in recovery with any weight bearing. I did. Prob a month after surgery when I first got in a walking cast, with instruction to stay off of it, I tried to push myself. I had alot of nerve damage and couldnt feel myself pushing the two temp screws through my heel. I ended up with an infection that still comes and goes over ten yrs later. Ive had I think 7 surgeries, alot of tissue loss, and have 2 permanent holes in my foot for drainage. I can walk fine still, I just deal with two or so infections a yr because my impatience got the best of me. I know how tough this is, but just know it can be healed. You just have to suffer through the pain and let the surgeons do their magic. Also, Im quite sure the success rate is even higher now than when I had mine. Im new to this board, but would love to talk to anyone whos been through this. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-10-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Closed Thread