It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

shelanddave HB User
Peroneal Tendon Surgery Question

I had peroneal tendon surgery on Dec. 15th, I tore both of my tendons and my ligament was displaced as well. I was in a splint and then in a cast and then in the ankle brace. I am now on nothing and doing PT on my own at the local gym. My question is: How long is it still going to be stiff in the morning and hurt? Is this normal? Also when I go to my last post op appt. what will they do? Just look at it? It doesn't really hurt too much and it's been almost 3 months. I want to run again and did so the other day, only a little bit. But I want to know if how it feels now is normal? Slight pain and stiffness in the morning and a dull aching? Anyone?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User
Re: Peroneal Tendon Surgery Question

Hi,
I've had 3 surgeries on my peroneal tendons in less than 3 years and what you're experiencing is normal. My last surgery was on January 26th. and I've been full weight bearing for 2 weeks. I see my doc next week and expect to start PT next. I've been told that it can take up to a year to completely heal from this type of surgery. The soreness and stiffness will gradually get better but it's a long process. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

shelanddave HB User

Thank you so much! Sometimes I start to worry and then it just spins into something bigger in my head. You've had the surgery 3 times though? Is this normal, should I 'spin' myself into this new worry

Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I've also had 3 surgeries on peroneals in 3 years and it was 4 mos before I started to feel okay. At 3 mos it was the peak of pain. So you are right there in the normal range.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User

I wouldn't say having 3 surgeries is the normal thing that happens. It just happens that my tendons are very weak and I've re-injured them after they've been repaired. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I agree, I keep reinjuring my ankle and my tendons and ligmaments aren't the best. 3 surgeries is not normal, but 3 mos out still feeling pain is.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
(female)

ahodous HB User

Hello,
My surgery to repair a tear was almost a year ago. I still have a lot of problems with mine being tender or shoes rubbing them wrong. After a recent visit to my OS I found out they have been loosing strength. Which I had been suspecting but was worried about going back under the knife. We are trying another round of PT to see if that helps. If not its more investigation I guess. My OS has told me all long that it can take a year or so for all the swelling and total healing to take place. Just remember patience is the key to recovery.

Best of luck in the rest of your recovery!

Angela

Closed Thread