It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Pool after flat foot reconstruction?

I am 4 weeks post op from a lateral column lengthening, gastroc lengthening, and navicular removal. The doctor says I can start PWB at 6 weeks according to my pain level. Do I have to wait until then to go to the pool? I was thinking of keeping my walking boot on and just hopping around in the shallow end on the good leg, or even putting kiddie water wings around the boot and floating around a bit. Would it be safe?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User
Re: Pool after flat foot reconstruction?

The incision has to be healed up before going in the pool. I busted my right heel bone and aqua therapy was great when I was PWB. The water pressure acts like a big compression sock and really helped control swelling not to mention the 93 degree water felt nice. You will want to be in the deeper water for PWB, chest high is somewhere around 60% WB I think. I am FWB and no walking aids for 2 days now whoo hoo. I do have a limp due to muscle weakness. Good luck with your injury

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Toyman,
What kind of things did you do for aquatherapy? My incisions have nice black scars on them. I don't know how "healed" they are but they are still protected by steristrips. That is awesome that you are now FWB. How does it feel? Is there a lot of pain? How many weeks are you post surgery? good luck with your healing and thanks for answering my post.
Sarahluke

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

Hi SaraLuke,
I was one of the lucky ones that did not need surgery but was in a cast for 6 weeks while the fracture healed. Once the OS cleared me for PWB I was walking width wise across the pool, doing leg lifts with my back against the pool wall, squats, side stepping across the width of the pool, marching in place, back against the pool and swing one leg out to the side, up on the toes then roll back and up on the heel, all were 3 sets of 10 and the walking was 3 times back and forth. No real unbearable pain, just uncomftorable at times. The pain came when I did to much to fast. I am in my 12th week now getting better by the day but new aches and pains by the day also. From reading here it could take up to a year and a half for my injury to get as good as it gets. I also got a pair of New Balance 855 sneakers with some good ortho inserts to walk in, was a good investment. Motorcycle season is comming to the northeast Good Luck

Last edited by Toyman57; 03-07-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the info toyman! I bought a pool noodle today so I could swim freestyle without my legs. Happy healing.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
(female)

I'm so bummed. I went and bought a waterproof cast cover - the kind that is heavy rubber and you pump the air out to make a seal around the leg. I couldn't get it over the heel on my boot! I had to return it and the next size up was way to big on my leg. I was really looking forward to the pool but I still need the protection of the boot. I am half a week away from the PWB green light (with the boot). Anybody have any suggestions about getting in the pool with my boot? If only my boot were an inch thinner then it may have worked I think.

Closed Thread