It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

HeyYaYa HB User
No insurance for ligament surgery

Hey All,

This is my sad story Fractured tip of ankle fibula 8 weeks ago and it's not healing (previously fractured and had small ligament tear in same ankle 4 years ago and it healed in 6 weeks). Doc wants to do arthroscopic Brostrom ligament repair to relieve pulling on detached bone tip.

(Caution: Much whining will ensue. Save yourselves while you can.) I've been on these friggin crutches for 8 weeks already and I can't take it anymore. If I was mobile I'd find the nearest bridge and take a jump. It's spring and the softball fields are calling. But I digress. . .

If that's not bad enough I don't have health insurance. I live in Texas and Google search says surgery is about 10 grand. To make matters worse I'm a Realtor who works on commission and can't pay for medical expenses if I can't walk. (Violins please). (We really really need to do something about healthcare in this country.)

So my questions are:

1. How can I go about arranging surgery with very little cash? I can prove financial need if necessary.

2. If I can't get medical attention immediately will the injury worsen considerably?

Thanks for your help! Oh, and when do you think I can play softball again?

YaYa

Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: No insurance for ligament surgery

(((((((((((((HeyYaYa)))))))))))))))

I can't offer any advice as a Canadian. I would be whining too if I were in your spot.

I hope you find some answers and more importantly, relief. My father broke his tib and fib in the 50's and had a bone graft done back then. Apparently the surgeon was known for innovative techniques that are used today. I have heard his story and it is not pretty either. Now though, fifty years later, he is still going strong. I was not even aware of which leg it was until the last ten or so years when he got some arthritis in it.

May this be a distant memory for you soon and may you be walking and running soon. Well, soonish. I suspect you still have some recovering to do.

Sorry I can't offer any practical help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

HeyYaYa HB User

Hey Northwind,

Thanks for the moral support. I envy you having a government that cares about its citizens health rather than corporations profit margin. Don't get me started. . .

Re: your dad's bone graft, I hope my doc doesn't go there. He said a "small incision nothing to worry about," which hopefully won't turn into screws and plates. I really will jump off a bridge if I can't play sports.

Thanks again for your response!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi HYY,

I wasn't suggesting that you would end up with a bone graft.......sorry if that scared you. I mentioned it to let you know that he had such invasive surgery and has been active since then.

I am really grateful to have the health care we have here. I have been involved in discussions with Americans on other sites and cannot believe the attitudes towards "socialized medicine" that exist down there. Wow.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

HeyYaYa HB User

Oh, thanks, now I understand. It's good to know that your dad totally recovered after such a surgery.

Yes, can you believe how many Americans are afraid of universal healthcare? The Republican party spin machine is very adept at brainwashing people too ignorant to think for themselves. What they don't realize is that taxpayers will pay for healthcare anyway in the form of emergency room bills. That's where I go when I'm sick

I'm very bitter about this whole healthcare situation in this country. The FDA arm of the US government knowingly infected 10% of blood transfusion recipients with Hepatitis C from 1965 until 1992 and didn't disclose it to them. One of these people was me.

The FDA could have ordered the Red Cross to implement screening tests but they were "too expensive" ($2.39) and screening "would cut down the amount of blood collected." This happened in Canada, too, but your government apologized to those infected and gave them a substantial sum of money. Nobody is responsible in this country.

The Hepatitis C gave me Diabetes. Both are pre-existing conditions that preclude affordable health insurance if you're self employed which I am. The best rate is $900/month which is akin to a mortgage payment. I can't afford it so do without.

Didn't mean to go off but I hope people who are against universal health care think twice about their opinions. We uninsured people are not slackers or bums.

Should we take this to the "politics" forum?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crap.....$900 per month! Wow. I would not be able to afford that easily either. I wonder too if my foot surgery that was to fix arthritis would give me a pre-existing condition.

Are there any places that will subsidize your surgery payment? Can you get a loan? Will the doc/hospital give you a deal or a payment plan?

You might need to think creatively.

I hope someone who knows some answers will post in here.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
(female)

HeyYaYa HB User

Yes, prior foot surgery would be pre-existing. If you take antidepressants for a short time (say if your husband dies suddenly and you are immobilized by grief) then you have a pre-existing depression. The government lets the insurance companies protect their profits rather than help people stay healthy. Bad long term strategy because you need healthy citizens to pay taxes.

I found out the surgery center will allow an affordable down payment then monthly payments. Very humanitarian of them! Now let's see what the doc wants. . .

Thanks for your support!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I found out the surgery center will allow an affordable down payment then monthly payments. Very humanitarian of them! Now let's see what the doc wants. . .
That is excellent news. I hope it all works out. You need to be on your feet!

Pre-existing conditions should not be allowed. Service providers need to be able to provide health services to all.

Closed Thread