It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
(male)

camshaww HB User
Shattered heel in 1998, still have problems

Hello to all. I shattered my heel at age 22 over ten yrs ago in a fall from over 40 feet. Broke several other bones also including six vertabrae and right leg. I had my first surgery about two weeks later which went as good as one could hope according to my orthopedic surgeon. They saved several big pieces which were held together with 2 plates and 6 screws. Fast forward a cpl months to when I first got my walking boot, with instruction of NO weight bearing. Was so determined to speed up my recovery, I didnt listen well. Because of nerve damage and loss of feeling(believe me, I felt plenty in the places I could still feel), I didnt feel the two pins that I pushed through the skin when I tried my first steps. As fate would have it, I ended up with an infection from my ignorance. This entailed six or so more surgeries to remove and stop infection, most after I was back on my feet. I could walk okay-no limp-but Im no track star anymore. After the surgeries were over, Id get "boils" that came up where the drains were in my foot(they would seal up between infections) every month or so. Ortho had me do several scans, including Gallium to rule out osteomyelitis. Over the years, they have become less and less frequent where now it is maybe one a year. They are more painful now, because the drains are well sealed before the next one comes. Sometimes, my pcp treats with a cephalasporin. Other times, I just dont bother. I am no Dr, but there has been little or no degradation in my xrays over the ten years since I last saw the surgeon. Has anyone heard of or seen a similar problem? Thanks in advance for any and all replies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread