It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

sportgirll HB User
almost 7 weeks post op pttd surgery

hi every one, I am now almost 7 weeks post op. I am still really sore and most of my pain is in my heel now that it is post op I am still in almost the same pain as I was before it has subsided a bit. i have this pain that feels like it is stoping and going. and it kinda goes up my leg the pain. some times I have swelling in my leg and it goes up into my knee. I was wondering if this was normal for any one else that had this surgery and this is what I had done I went to the doctor and he fixed the tendon and aligned the heel and he put in a donated bone in my foot to help fix the arch. I am having alot of pain still and Most people say that they are not in this much pain post op. my doctor said in papers that he sent home that I may need a air cast after this I was wondering what the likley hood of this would be as I go in next week to get my nwb cast off. please respond thanks... I would also like to hear how other people are ding that had this same surgery...
thank you in advance.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: almost 7 weeks post op pttd surgery

Hi sportgirl,
I am almost 5 weeks post op from a flat foot reconstruction surgery (cadaver bone wedge put into the heel with a plate and 4 long screws, calf muscle lengthening, and navicular removal with that tendon re-tacked down). I am completely NWB and I have very little foot pain. I keep it elevated most of the day and I ice my foot or behind my knee at least every 2 hours. I'm also in a removable air boot not a cast. I do have Tramadol 50 for pain but I usually don't take it. My swelling is almost gone except for a little right around the outside ankle bone. Do you think that your cast maybe too tight? I haven't heard any on these boards get the swelling up the leg. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep posting your progress. Are you taking pain killers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sportgirl,
Have you had x-rays and new casts after the x-rays during the seven weeks post-op? I'm wondering if something is irritating your heel since the last casting, or if the screw is bothering you. Are you doing a lot during the day and keeping your leg down without periods of icing behind the knee and elevating? I did not have the heel osteotomy, but I have a bone graft with the evans osteotomy. I also had two other incisions and now I'm at five weeks and in relatively little pain. My swelling comes at night and subsides overnight and with icing and elevation as needed but I don't need to do that unless I've kept my leg down for a long period doing stuff.

I'm not sure how to respond to your inquiry but I would call the doctor's office and just ask about your swelling up your leg. Is the cast too tight since the last one. Hoping all this just resolves when the cast is removed. All the best. You'll likely feel better just talking to someone in the office.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
(female)

sportgirll HB User

hi every one again, I am keeping my foot up and yes i am still taking pain meds if i dont then my heel and the outter part of my foot start to hurt pretty badly. and I cant stand being in pain that much. no i did not have an xray at my last appointment. but they are going to take one at the next appointment which is next week when I should be getting this cast off and i am guessing an airboot put on.. I am really sore scence surgery I thought that I would be in less pain.... but I guess I am not... I mean i thought that I would be in way less pain after surgery and to anwser your questions I dont think my cast is too tight beacuse I can fit my fingers into the cast some times. my foot turns blue when it is up is this normal????? thank you and good luck with your guys recovery.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sportgirl,
My foot does not turn blue when it is up. Better to err on the side of caution. I would call the doctor and ask your questions. Good luck with all phases of your healing!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

kindercarol HB User
Smile Re: almost 7 weeks post op pttd surgery

Hi,
I agree...your foot should not be turning blue when it's up!!!

My surgery sounds similar to yours, and I'm almost 8 weeks post-op. I'm in a removable boot and my foot still turns dark red/purple/blue when it's down. From everything I've read on these boards, the funky colors go away when you get those "toes above your nose". It works for me.

Talk to your doctor ASAP. Thanks for sharing and let us know how it all works out.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
(female)

sportgirll HB User

hey kinder carol.
I have a question for you, did you just recently get your boot that you have on your foot. I am going in for my eight week tomorrow. yes I keep my toes above my heart. but when I call the doctor the nurse usually calls me back and says put your foot up higher. soon my foot is going to be above my head haha. um well My foot is still sore but it feels like it is a shock going up my foot that is really strange. how long have you had the boot so far and how long do you have to keep it on for? I had my surgery on january 21st when did u have yours? I am going to the doctor for my eight week post op appointment tommorrow morning so hopefully we can talk more about what is going on then what we can on the phone. I have alot of heel pain and not arch pain but on the other side of the foot I had surgery on my right foot. It is still really painful and my toes still swell up really bigger then the other foot. well thank you for your concern and I will catch up with you guys tomorrow after my appointment.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sportgirl,

Love your name.

I had surgery on January 18, and got the cast off and the boot on at 6 weeks. I don't know how many weeks/months I'm supposed to wear it. My surgeon told me I can take the boot off for showers, bed, and whenever I have my foot up. He also told me to put 50% of my weight on the boot. I do not think I'm at 50% yet. I hate putting the boot on, because it hurts to pull on the sock, and it hurts to put my heel against the boot's foam liner. Also, I think it's hard to flex my foot enough to get it close enough to my hands to pull the sock on. Hope you understand what I mean.

The back of my ankle hurts the most, and the bottom of my heel hurts too. The good news is the rest of my foot is feeling less numb, and I'm able to move it more than a fraction of an inch. I will be 9 weeks post-op on Monday, and am going back for new x-rays on Thursday.

I'm supposed to go back to work at 10 weeks (only 1 more full week off), but I wish I'd taken longer. My job is teaching fourth grade and it is constant motion all day.Do you work? How long did you take off? I'm also supposed to start PT at week 10. I am looking forward to that.

I wish I knew before the surgery, what I've learned on this board. I never would have thought about going back to work this soon. I'm impressed by those of you who go back to jobs mere weeks after this surgery.

My biggest improvement has been keeping my leg down the past week or so. Yes, my foot swells by nighttime (especially the back of my ankle), but I can tolerate it being down while in the car or sitting at the dinner table. I no longer have to take pillows with me everywhere I go to prop up my right foot.

Have a comfortable healing day, everyone!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
(female)

mammymim HB User

I had those shooting pains almost felt like a shock for awile. It started around 6 weeks post op & my MD said it was common & they didn't know why. But at 13 weeks I no longer have them...mostly now my foot feels tired not really pain unless itis swollen. I have been out of the boot for 2 weeks But they told me to put it on if I get uncomfortable so my foot is immobilized. Well luckily I haven't worked yet so we'll see when I have to do an 8 hr. shift as an RN how I do. My foot color is bluish when I have my foot down for a long time. my doc said that will get better when I am walking more & get the circulation pumping better. Have you noticed that. my surgery was Dec 15. my other foot hurts a lot more , it has the same problems...

Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi All,
My foot also turns very purplish when I leave it down. I'm a lot more comfortable leaving it down at this point. The first 2 months it was just too painful.

How long before you go back to work as a nurse, Mammymim? I finally called my principal this morning and told him I'm not ready to come back at 10 weeks.

I still have such a hard time putting weight on my booted foot. Sometimes, I think I'm not trying hard enough. I'm almost 9 weeks ost-op. I'm 53 and was quite active until the flat foot pain stopped me from working out about a year ago. Do you think there's any way to know when to "push it"? Thanks.

Happy healing, everyone!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
(female)

Hi Kindercarol,
I am up and moving around a lot more chaufferring the kids and stuff and it is hard to be 2 hours with my foot down. I started wearing a compression sock and it has helped with the discomfort immensely when I know my foot will be down for a while. I only wear it when I'm out of the house and I let my foot "breathe" at home when it's elevated. It is hard to put the sock on. I usually ice down my foot around the heel and ankle then I carefully pull the sock on in increments. The socks I wear at home are great and I wish I could remember wear I got them. They are very elastic so they stay up but they feel very loose because they are extra soft and plush. I cut the toes off of the pair and I wear them both on my one foot so that the boot is comfortable. I noticed that if I don't wear two thick socks then the boot chafs or I just can't seem to be comfortable in it.

My foot turns purple too when it's down... kind of freaks me out so I try not to look to hard in the shower and stuff.

I got the green light yesterday to go PWB in the boot and I was very surprised how much it hurt. I also wonder if I need to push a little harder. I'm not a big fan of pain and I don't want to mess anything up but on the other hand it won't heal correctly if you don't start PWB right? All the conflictions in my head... I'm taking it real slow.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
(female)

sportgirll HB User

hey every one.
IM walking with a little bit of pain my foot is still aching alot and I am still taking medication. but i am walking on it which is a huge improvment. I have about a month left out of school and stuff. which is a good thing. because I get tired just by doing things around the house. so that is what is happening now. I am having alot of trouble going up stairs is any one else having that problem? I know that it stinks.. but i love being able to take a shower no baths or pools yet the doctor said as the insisions are not fully healed. but soon enough can not wait until this summer thanks for all your guys help this far.
cant wait to hear how you all are doing.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
(female)

mammymim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluke View Post
Hi Kindercarol,
I am up and moving around a lot more chaufferring the kids and stuff and it is hard to be 2 hours with my foot down. I started wearing a compression sock and it has helped with the discomfort immensely when I know my foot will be down for a while. I only wear it when I'm out of the house and I let my foot "breathe" at home when it's elevated. It is hard to put the sock on. I usually ice down my foot around the heel and ankle then I carefully pull the sock on in increments. The socks I wear at home are great and I wish I could remember wear I got them. They are very elastic so they stay up but they feel very loose because they are extra soft and plush. I cut the toes off of the pair and I wear them both on my one foot so that the boot is comfortable. I noticed that if I don't wear two thick socks then the boot chafs or I just can't seem to be comfortable in it.

My foot turns purple too when it's down... kind of freaks me out so I try not to look to hard in the shower and stuff.

I got the green light yesterday to go PWB in the boot and I was very surprised how much it hurt. I also wonder if I need to push a little harder. I'm not a big fan of pain and I don't want to mess anything up but on the other hand it won't heal correctly if you don't start PWB right? All the conflictions in my head... I'm taking it real slow.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportgirll View Post
hey every one.
IM walking with a little bit of pain my foot is still aching alot and I am still taking medication. but i am walking on it which is a huge improvment. I have about a month left out of school and stuff. which is a good thing. because I get tired just by doing things around the house. so that is what is happening now. I am having alot of trouble going up stairs is any one else having that problem? I know that it stinks.. but i love being able to take a shower no baths or pools yet the doctor said as the insisions are not fully healed. but soon enough can not wait until this summer thanks for all your guys help this far.
cant wait to hear how you all are doing.
Stairs stink! haha. I can do them but they zap my energy! I crutch up them carefully and usually hop down them on one foot. I haven't tried to 'walk" stairs yet using my surgery foot. I am definitely not at that stage yet.

How many post weeks are you? What was your surgery?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
(female)

sportgirll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluke View Post
Stairs stink! haha. I can do them but they zap my energy! I crutch up them carefully and usually hop down them on one foot. I haven't tried to 'walk" stairs yet using my surgery foot. I am definitely not at that stage yet.

How many post weeks are you? What was your surgery?
hi sarah luke. yes stairs do stink I am still having trouble with them. I had my surgery on January 21st 2010. so its been about 10 weeks post op... now.. I had a donated bone put in my foot I had a tendon releced and I had my heel put in the right postition and I had the tendon fixed. I was in a cast for two months. I just recently started walking with out a cane stairs are the worst. what stage are you post op? and what did u have done? my surgery was really painful. and it is really hard to start walking again on it one thing is I have not taken my shoe thingy off.

Closed Thread