It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

slinglady HB User
Broken ankle and torn tendons

My husband broke his ankle and tore the tendons in his left ankle 3 1/2 months ago. He had surgery to repair fibula and a plate with screws is holding it together. The bone has healed and he has been through a month of physical therapy and the inside of his ankle where he tore the tendons is still painful. He has returned to work and is curious as to what kind of pain is normal. He is going to call his doctor tomorrow to ask but what is the heal time for tendons and is surgery to repair them somthing that could happen? What test should he ask for to check the healing of tendons? It is a work comp case so the doctor has been more then willing to do everything asked. Can anyone share their experience??

Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Broken ankle and torn tendons

I've had surgery for torn tendons 3 times now. At 3.5 mos out though, the area will still be painful. From what I've experienced, the doctors won't really do anything until maybe 6 mos out at the earliest. At that time they may order an MRI. Usually though, it will be closer to 9 mos out before they claim failure.
Now, I have to say that on all buy one of my MRI's the film failed to show a tear, so just because it says no tear doesn't mean one isn't still there. Also, scar tissue can be more painful than a tear too. There is a good chance he has scar tissue there. They can go back in and clean that up too. But, my dr. made me wait until 10 mos post-op before he'd do that. I complained from 4 mos out to 10 mos and he just said he had to give it time before he could go back in.
So, give it time, but definately he should let the dr. know what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread