It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Any alternative to a Knee Scooter??

Hello everyone,
I am currently using a rented knee scooter but it is costing me $165 a month and I don't want to renew it (it is due back in 5 days). I just want to use something for in the house and I have carpet everywhere. I have crutches but they are tiring. I've tried using an office chair but it can't be pushed easily through the carpet. I was even thinking about buying a metal kids tricycle and attaching a kid's scooter handlebar thing. I have a foldable wheelchair but it is the kind that I cannot move myself.

Does anyone have any affordable solutions?? I wish I would have just bought a scooter a month ago since I will eventually have my second foot operated on also but even that would set me back another $300 conservatively.

Thanks,
Sarahluke

Old 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User
Re: Any alternative to a Knee Scooter??

Hi Sarahluke,
When I was recouping from my 3 surgeries, I bought an inexpensive walker with swivel wheels and hand brakes. I tied a pillow on the seat and would lean on my knee and push off with my good foot. Worked great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

1pete HB User

I have been using my microwave cart around the house. Pillow on middle shelf, knee rests there and push off & go! I have mostly hardwood floors(can really fly on those) but it also goes on carpet. Crutches are just unacceptable, I agree. How did you like the knee walker? I may have to rent one...it seems as though I will never become weight bearing on my fractured 5th metataursal.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

Ladyabby,
How much was your inexpensive wheeled walker? Where did you find it?

1Pete,
A microwave cart sounds interesting. The wheels seem small to go easily across carpet. It really works for you? I like the idea of a flat top to carry things. The knee scooter I rented has been cool. It think it was neccessary in the beginning when my balance was poor because of the pain meds. I am considering buying one rather than renting for another month for $165. That is just so steep.

For anyone else sho has been through this surgery.. how long can I expect to need a knee scooter? I am 5 weeks post-op and my doctor says I can start PWB at 6 weeks and FWB at 8 weeks according to my pain tolerance. I will start PT at 8 weeks. Am I going to want a knee scooter around the house at this point? Do people still use it when they start PT to get a rest in the evenings? If people generally keep their scooters for 2 months or more then it would make sense to buy a cheaper one. I have 5 days to decide before I have to return my rental.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
(female)

Does anyone have any feedback about the Freedom Leg Walking Brace. It allows you to walk without any weightbearing on your foot at all.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

I have been using a Voyager Seated Scooter since I was concerned about the stress on my knees using a knee scooter. I love it!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Sarah -
I'm just slightly ahead of you - almost 8 week post op now. I stopped using my knee walker when I could start weight bearing back at 6 weeks. I've used one crutch kind of like a cane to help with stability. I did purchase my knee walker off Ebay at a good price. You may want to check there if you have to have the second foot done - I ended up purchasing cheaper than I could have rented.

BTW- PT is neat - I feel it is helping and actually look forward to my once a week appointment. Once I'm out of the aircast boot in mid April I'll be going more often to really work on balance and stability with my newly reconstructed foot and fused ankle.

I trust you will continue to experience a good recovery

Mary

Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
(female)

Hi SarahLuke,
I bought my walker online at Walgreens Pharmacy. It is a smalll one with a basket to carry things in the front so it easily gets inot small, tight spots. I paid $85.00 plus tax but no shipping. I used it with all of my surgeries and it was a blessing. I just gave it away 2 days ago, confident that I won't need it again!

Midwestmary: So you liked PT huh? I start PT in 2 weeks and can honestly say that I'm not looking forward to it, at least not in the beginning. But I will do as I'm told because I know the end results will be worth the pain and discomfort.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Ladyabby - I was not looking forward to PT either - but it hasn't been at all what I expected. The exercises I am doing at home are for strengthening the quads and some of those other parts that are weak after sitting idle for six plus weeks - they are gentle. This week we added in some balance exercises for the good side - won't work with the operated foot for some time yet. One interesting thing to me was they had me get up on a stationery bike and I had trouble peddling in a steady rhythm with the operated leg - took awhile for the brain to kick in and remember how to do it

There seem to be so many opinions about the need for PT - all the way from its a waste of time to its the best thing since chocolate! I'd be interested to know your take on it once you get going. BTW - what type of surgery did you have?

Mary

Old 03-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
(female)

[QUOTE=ladyabby;4202840]Hi Sarahluke,
When I was recouping from my 3 surgeries, I bought an inexpensive walker with swivel wheels and hand brakes. I tied a pillow on the seat and would lean on my knee and push off with my good foot. Worked great.[/QUOTE]

Hi ladyabby,
I looked those up and they are very affordable. Is it the kind that has a seat? Is it the ones that aren't specifically made for kneeling? I wanted to try one of those at the rental place and the woman wouldn't let me -- she said my balance would be off and it wouldn't work. Is that the kind you are using? It seems to me like it work from the photo.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Midwestmary,
I'm so glad you mentioned the PWB at 6weeks and the PT because I have lots of questions if you don't mind. What do they call partial weight bearing at 6 weeks? Does that mean I can put my foot and heel down when I am crutching or does that mean I can actually step with my boot on? I want to wear my boot into a pool (in an airtight thing) and step around in chest deep water. Someone posted on here that that equalled about 60% WB.

I also had the question about giving up the knee scooter at 6 weeks. Do you ever feel like you need it? Maybe I should just tough it out and go with straight crutches too. That's what my husband says but I get so tired on them. When I go out I use just crutches and when I get home I can't wait to get back on my scooter because my "good" leg is so tired.

I'm glad the PTs don't kill you right away. I was getting really nervous about that. The thought of someone manipulating my foot gets me queasy! When you were on the stationary bike were you in your boot or a regular shoe?

I'm all ears. Thanks.
Sarahluke

Last edited by sarahluke; 03-13-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
(female)

Hi Midwestmary,
I had peroneal and postibial tendon surgery. This last time, I had dislocated the tendons and ligament and they had to be anchored to my fibula and calcaneal bones with screws. As far as the PT goes, I've had it 3 times...twice after the first 2 surgeries and then again in December hoping that the PT might somehow strengthen things and prevent me from having this last surgery. It didn't work though. The first 2 times I had PT, I had to use a site that my insurance was capped to and I just felt that it was a take a number, get you in and out kind of place. I never regained my ROM and I felt that the people running the place couldn't have cared less whether I was doing the exercises correctly or not. This last time, I insisted on getting an "out of cap" referral to a physical therapy office that was recommended to me. What a huge difference!! I did the whirlpool for 15 minutes first, then had some exercises to do and at the end of the session, the owner did a lot of manipulation exercises and deep massage. He worked as a massuse (?spelling) before getting his degree in physical therapy and sports medicine. He also used ultrasound and icing at the very end. This is where I'll go this time for PT.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
(female)

Hi SarahLuke,
Yes the walker I used was the one with the seat. Tying a pillow on it made it very comfortable to lean my knee on it. Because it was wider than a knee scooter, I felt very steady and balanced using it. I sat on the seat when I got tired of scooting around. It was also easy going across the carpets. Money well spent in my opinion.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
(female)

Ladyabby,
That is very good news about the seat scooter. I can find one locally for less than $100. I had a feeling it would work. The lady at the rental shop said it wouldn't roll straight with only one knee on it. I wonder why the knee ones are 3 times the price??

I just read your post about PT. How did you go about finding a good PT? There are SOO many in my area and they all say they are the best... My doctor has a long printed out list and just says to go where your insurance pays. But, I sure am reading about big differences in PT experiences!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
(female)

Sarah,
This particular PT was recommended to me first by a friend of mine who was having major neck and back problems due to a slip & fall accident. She got the name from her primary. Originally, she used the same PT I used my first two times because she has the same insurance I do and felt the same way I did about them. What really surprised me was when I mentioned to my doc who I was going to go to, he knew him well and sends as many of his patients to him as he can but didn't recommend him to me because he knew with my insurance, I had to go to a specific place. What he didn't realize was that I knew the different insurances since I work in healthcare and know how to get what I wanted done. Finding a good PT isn't easy but if you can stay away from the chain facilities, I think that's a good start. If you had some names, you could go online and get some input from patients who have used these therapists...that seems to be a good link for info these days. Good luck and keep me posted.

Closed Thread