It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Its now 1 year

I was really suprised that its now a year after my heel ostemony. I have had x rays and a MRI which show nothing to help explain the pain I am still having. At least its not a fracture again. I have pain radiating from the ball of the foot inbetween the 3rd and 4th toes and runs the top of the foot toward the ankle. It burns, tingles and drives me nuts is painful to walk on it.. I made an appointment to see the ortho again. Just wonder if anyone out there has a clue.
walleye

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: Its now 1 year

Have you considered a masseuse who specializes in feet, reflexology, or a sports chiropractor? You may just have a subluxation in your metatarsals. I've had flat feet all my life and I was getting regularly foot adjusted by my chiropractor. It felt awesome. I finally got surgery to permanently change my structure but once my foot is healed like in a year or so I'll definitely be getting them adjusted again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Hi, walleye! good to hear from you but sorry you are having pain. It sounds like the sural nerve is irritated. I had that for a period of time also. My surgeon told me that nerve is "distressed" during surgery. You are now putting weight on the outside of the foot where you weren't before surgery so that doesn't help either. My PT made me some semi-custom orthotics which took some of the pressure off the outside and it helped tremendously. My doc told me he would not be concerned about any pain I had in this nerve area until 2 years out. He said it can take this nerve a long time to settle down.

But I guess I should say that I had a 4th met stress fracture that started off like that but it pretty quickly progressed to just pain. But if you've had an MRI then it can't be that. An MRI won't usually show nerve issues, at least that's what the neuro who diagnosed my peroneal nerve problem told me. An EMG would determine if it's the sural nerve. My EMG showed I still had some sural nerve involvement (although mild) and that was 3 years after surgery.

Feet are truly evil.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Good replies. I never would have thought about the feet getting adjusted. I do my back every 6 weeks, but never my feet. I am wearing orthotics that tilts my foot to the inside. If it is the nerve I want it to simmer down. Life would be so much easier if I could take advil or tylenol, I have to take prescription drugs for pain and its a "b" word trying to get them. Considering going back on the Gabapentin if this is never related. Only time will tell.
Emmie54 good to hear from you. Hope life is treating you well and your feet aren't giving you grief.
Walleye

Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Well here's a new one. I went to the chiropractor today to have him adjust me to fix what he burgered last monday. He adjusted me and put me in horrible pain that had me grabbing my ribs under my arm and around to my chest. Now for the last week I thought it was just super sore muscles, my husband thinks he cracked or fractured my ribs seeing I can't ride in a vehicle when there are bumps, can't lay on my back or front, hurts to sneeze or cough and can't bend over. Well i'm icing and hoping I can get some sleep its been a week. So I asked him about adjusting the feet he looked at my left foot (one I had the heel osteomy on) and said he wouldn't touch it as he found a lump that shouldn't be there up by the metarsal ball of the foot. I certainly don't know the makeup of the foot, so I'll explain it as the ball of the foot just below the 2 toes next to the little one. he thinks its either a bone spur or a neroma. So what is a neroma( heck I probably didn't spell it right). Just once I'd like to hear theres not a thing wrong. Good thing I have an appt with the ortho next week. I'd really like the cloud of doom and gloom to move away!!!!!! I 100 percent agree the feet are evil!
An unhappy Walleye

Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

He might mean a Morton's neuroma. There are lots of threads on that. I think it is pretty common.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wall, I am so sorry. I really hope you get some answers and some relief soon. I know a lot of people get really good results from chiropractic care but I hurt my shoulder in a car accident twenty years ago and the ortho that treated me (and ultimately performed my shoulder sugery) told me if I saw a chiropractor he would drop me as a patient. That scared me enough to stay away. But that being said, kudos to him for not touching your foot.

I know I'll probably get some replies praising chiropractors and I'm not saying that there aren't good ones or situations where they are beneficial.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
(female)

Wall,
I'm so sorry about your pain. Like it isn't hard enough just having a messed up foot . There are definitely bad, good, and excellent chiros just as there are bad, good, and excellent MDs. If you have a neuroma that is definitely not a chiros domain.

I am a chiro and so is my husband so don't give up on them. It sounds like the one you see is too rough for you. There is a technique that I highly recommend called Activator Methods -- very gentle and very effective. < edited > My husband is an awesome chiro and he uses a full force technique which I don't like having done on me. I go to a low force chiro even though my friends tease me because I don't see my husband.

I wish you high spirits through this!

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-23-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Thanks all, I have been seeing my chiro for a good 10 yrs. I think it was just one of those things but sure wish it hadn't happened. I'm glad he wouldn't touch my foot. I'll keep my every 6 week appts with him unless this happens again then find a new one. I truely believe it helps. At least he keeps me walking upright.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

oops. Sorry Sarah. I hope I didn't offend you by sharing my ortho's opinion. That's just one doctor that probably had had a bad experience. You are right - there are good and bad in all professions. I have friends who swear by their chiro's. Again, sorry.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
(female)

No Emmie,
It's pretty hard to offend me... no worries...I've heard it all about chiros. I think that orthos should not talk about what they don't know about though. The studies prove chiropractic's efficacy so I don't understand why some MDs that are like that. We've had a few patients come to us saying that their MDs told them that they would drop them as patients if they continued with chiropractic. Smart people found new MDs... my foot surgeon just started coming to our office after he got to know me and my husband. That's cool.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

I just had mortons neuroma surgery in december, my neuroma was between the second and third toe, but is much more common between the third and fourth toe. But those are the exact pains I had with mine and are quite common symptoms of neuroma you can find info all over the web regarding the symptoms. just google mortons neuroma, be very careful if you do have this and research research research treatment options and doctors. I wish I had there are many things that can go wrong having the surgery. I now have peroneal neuropathy and foot drop from my surgery.
good luck and sorry for your pain and discomfort
kelly

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

I will do some goggling. Sorry your surgery had such an outcome.

Closed Thread