It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
(male)

joenovember HB User
Calcaneus Fracture

Fractured my right calcaneus on 6/23/09 (mtn. biking accident), surgery on 7/10/09 ( plate with 7 screws). It is now about 8 months after surgery. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had a similar injury that's a year or more into recovery. Right now I still have slight pain, somewhat of a stiff big toe and sort of a tight plantar fascia. I had about 26 weeks of physical therapy and now go to the gym quite often doing various foot strengthening exercises as much as I can tolerate. I normally am a very active person - - mtn. bike, road bike, rollerblade, tennis, ski and NOW because of this injury, have become a swimmer. (1000 yards at least 4 - 5 times a week). Right now, a little anxious - - keep wondering if this injury will EVER heal to the point where I will be able to do my other activities in the future. Realize I probably won't be able to do them to the extreme I used to.
So.... if there's someone out there that can offer some encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm 62 years young and want to keep going till I'm 92.
Thanks, Joenovember

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calcaneus Fracture

I am year out. My foot was in to bad of shape to do surgery, so they just let it heal. I still put it up here and there. I quit wearing compression sock last month, but last few days had some swelling and wore it once. I don't take pain meds if I don't do alot. But I do have bad days if I do alot.

I am doing what I want, but you have to pay for it too. I have heard 12-18 months to get as good as its going to get. Mileage may vary.

For the plantar fascia I was rolling my foot on a golf ball and on frozen liter bottle.

Last edited by Zerk; 03-16-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

joenovember HB User

Thanks for your input Zerk. Guess everyone has their own little issues with this injury. Big part of it is trying to keep a positive attitude. Good luck to you.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I was riding my touring bikes at 4 months and hunting at 8 months. Walking the dogs around 5 months. So I am doing the stuff I always did, but you got to spend some pain currency.

I am not taking pain meds daily for the last month. I am fine just walking around a bit. But if I do to much it can get bad. Doc wants to start me on chronic pain meds, I was hoping for just something on bad days.

I am probably goign to have to face facts and start taking them. Especially as summer comes and I want to do more.

But like I said I am not taking meds dailly anymore. I was taking celebrex. So it has gotten better since month 10/11. So I am hoping it still gets better

Last edited by Zerk; 03-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

My toes were stiff, and starting to curl down. I worked them alot and they are alot better. The big toe I would pull back and hold. The other toes I would push down on the joint, while pulling back on the tip. I was doing this through out the day and finally got some improvement. I had to really focus on it.

Closed Thread