It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

tenpins HB User
Aircast and Exercise

I need some suggestions and some questions answered, if at all possible.

I have a stress fracture in my foot and my doctor said that it would only take 2-3 weeks to heal. It's on week 2 and I don't feel any different. Now, I was working out before my injury and working out is was caused my stress fracture. I am worried that it's going to take longer than planned and I was wondering if there were any exercises I could do to keep my weight down?

And is it at all possible to work on elliptical for 15-20 minutes a day in my Aircast? I'd just really like to get back to exercising soon.

Thank you!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Aircast and Exercise

Hello tenpins -

I also have a stress fracture in my foot - mine is in my heel. Where is yours?

When I was in the Cam Walker (air cast) my dr told me i could get on a stationary bike if I wanted to - you may want to try that. Also, he said I could walk in the cast to the edge of the pool and then exercise in water that was chest deep. Do you like to swim?

I am not sure about the eliptical - only because the air cast may be too cumbersome to really get a good workout.

You are lucky it will only take 2-3 weeks. Mine is taking much longer - I think because it is in my heel - they seem to take longer to heel.

Keep posting and let me know us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

tenpins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
Hello tenpins -

I also have a stress fracture in my foot - mine is in my heel. Where is yours?

When I was in the Cam Walker (air cast) my dr told me i could get on a stationary bike if I wanted to - you may want to try that. Also, he said I could walk in the cast to the edge of the pool and then exercise in water that was chest deep. Do you like to swim?

I am not sure about the eliptical - only because the air cast may be too cumbersome to really get a good workout.

You are lucky it will only take 2-3 weeks. Mine is taking much longer - I think because it is in my heel - they seem to take longer to heel.

Keep posting and let me know us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Step

Mine is either in my fourth or fifth metatarsal, so it's on the inside of my foot.

I do go to a gym that has a swimming pool, but I don't really like to swim much. Maybe that's something I'll have to start doing. A stationary bike sounds like a good idea. I'll ask about that as well.

Thank you very much! I will keep posting.

Last edited by tenpins; 03-16-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I had a stress fracture in my foot last year and was in a boot for 8 weeks. After 4 I had permission to ride a bike using my heel. The fracture was at the base of the first metatarsal and one of the cuneiform bones with stress reaction at the bases of the 2nd-4th metatarsals. Happened from walking sideways in a surgical shoe for 6 weeks (and I used my crutches a bunch too).

Seriously, check with your doctor before you do any exercise, especially if you don't feel the fracture is getting any better.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
(female)

tenpins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhighifly View Post
I had a stress fracture in my foot last year and was in a boot for 8 weeks. After 4 I had permission to ride a bike using my heel. The fracture was at the base of the first metatarsal and one of the cuneiform bones with stress reaction at the bases of the 2nd-4th metatarsals. Happened from walking sideways in a surgical shoe for 6 weeks (and I used my crutches a bunch too).

Seriously, check with your doctor before you do any exercise, especially if you don't feel the fracture is getting any better.

Okay. Thank you very much. I am seeing my doctor on Monday and I will ask her then. Thank you for the advice!

Closed Thread