It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

PurpleJet HB User
Calcaneal Osteotomy Help!!

Hi folks

New to the site..

I was told last week I need a Calcaneal Osteotomy to correct my ankle. My heel is to far inwards forcing the outside of my ankle out and causing it to sprain easily. (I think my arch is high.) It has been sprained a lot and I have been suffering for over a year with a serious sprain. been wearing aircasts, braces, crutches etc.

I had athroscope in January so the doctor has a look inside at the damage and he says I need osteotomy.

I think this will be around the end of July. My doctor said I will be in plaster 6 weeks and aircast for 6 weeks.

I am going on a cruise on 7th November, do people think I will struggle walking/standing and be on crutches? Do people think I may still have the aircast on?

I have told the cruiseline I may need assistance.

Thanks for your thoughts people!

ps, does every calcaneal osteotomy use screws and do they stay in forever?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

kindercarol HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy Help!!

Hi,
I had a heel osteotomy, but from a flat foot. I also had an achilles lengthening, tarsal-metatarsal bone fusion, FDL tendon transfer (because my PTT was in stage II breakdown), and a cadaver bone wedge inserted on the outside of my right heel. (hope I'm using these medical terms correctly)

At almost 12 weeks post-op I just started Physical Therapy, and I'm seeing progress, but still can not walk without my walker. I'm 53 and was quite active until the PTT problem started 1 year ago.

Sounds like you're being realistic about your cruise. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread