It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Pain in right ankle? Aggrevated by heels!? :(

I have had a dull pain in my right ankle area for a little bit of time. Can't really tell how long. I only feel it when I hop on my heels and when I lift my right leg as I walk. If I was just standing, no pain. It's hard to tell where the pain is because it doesn't hurt to the touch; only when I'm walking. And since I can't walk and touch my ankles, I really can't tell if it's a muscle pain, or a bruising pain, or what! But when I'm not wearing any shoes, I felt no pain at all.

This week, and specifically yesterday, I felt more throbbing. I'm feeling it even as I am motionless, which wasn't the issue in the last weeks! I even felt it throbbing last night while I slept! And this morning when I woke up, My right knee hurt!!

I have always had leg pain/ issues that were disregarded as growing pain- but still continue. So the knee pain may have been part that. My ankle is what I am concerned about since I read that untreated foot problems can cause real issues in the future.

The answer may seem simple- don't wear heels. But I have to. I am short and work in a professional environment. While I am still short even after 3- 4 inch heels, at least it doesn't feel like the world is the hovering over me. I really don't think I can live without heels unless there is a way to make me taller. I'm young and fashionable and don't want to wear orthos!! UGH the price of fashion!

What do I do? Stick it out? See my general doctor for xrays? See a podiatrist? I was taking ballet a few weeks ago after being completely inactive for 2 years. Maybe I strained something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Pain in right ankle? Aggrevated by heels!? :(

Hi there. I am interested in how you are doing. I also started with general ankle pain that I can't quite pinpoint about 2 months ago. I finally went to the podiatrist and he took xrays. He found a heel spur and now I am on my 4th week of physical therapy. The therapy has done wonders b/c my achillies tendon was very tight. However, still some dull ankle pain.

A lot of my pain is gone, but I still get ankle pain if I am standing too long or walking too much. I also get weird feelings in my knee area - pulling in the back ligament and such.

I can do non-impact exercise machine and have NO pain at all. I spend 30 min. on the stepper or eliptical and my ankle is fine. I have trouble just plan walking though.

I really don't think my heel spur is causing my ankle pain. I think I am going to insist on an MRI. The pain in the ankle seems more internal. I can't point my toe straight or I get a jolt of pain in the ankle/heel area.

Are you doing any better?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Hi Belly Kelly. Sounds like we are experiencing similar discomfort!

I wore flats all weekend long and had no pain. It is the strangest thing. Because as soon as I hoped onto my 3" heel this morning, there was the pain when I stepped. And while it was dull at 7am, already at 9:45, the pain is more pronounced. I'm only guessing that by Friday it will be worst!!!

If I point or flex my foot, there is really not much pain. But the pain is there if I flex outwards. I think the problem is somewhere around my ankle bone. I was thinking of maybe going to see an acupuncturer. If I go to a doctor, I'm affraid they will just tell me to stop wearing heels, which is really not an option for me. It's just so weird to me because nothing else aggrevates it. I can twirl it around, drive, run, try to massage it and nothing. But when I jump on my heels, it's there. Its like it knows!!!

If you go for an MRI, let me know how it goes! I'm really curious to see what they will find.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Hi Curly,
Well, it definitely sounds like your heels are causing the pain. Do you have the problem with all heels or just one particular pair?

My problem is with any shoe, so I have no way of even controlling the problem much. The therapy does work but I feel in my heart that something bigger is wrong. At least the pain went from about an 8 to a 3 since therapy. I just want the pain gone! I will let you know if the MRI shows anything new.

Take care.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Still pain as the day progresses. It doesn't seem to matter what shoes I wear. If they have a heel, the pain comes on as the hours go by. But if they are off, no pain. The pain feels like it is around the ankle. I'm still going to wait at least one more week to see if it goes away on its own. Maybe will try wrapping it at night.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

How long should I wait before I see a doctor? It's Friday and OUCH! Every morning, the pain in bareable. But just about after lunch, it becomes more persistant. When I sit, there is no pain! But as soon as I get up and walk, there it is. And I guess by now, the end of the week, it hurt the second I put on my heels. I KNOW that my heels is what's causing me pain. Like I said before, I feel no pain when I wear flats (except for some soreness that I guess is from the pain- but not pain). It even hurts when I rotate my foot. The pain seems to be around that ankle bone. Could it be a ligament or a tendon? What COULD it be?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

curly, I think you really should take a break from the heels. Let your ankle heal for a bit. Believe me, I would give anything not to have pain right now. I even have it with my running sneakers!
I switched from a podiatrist and went to a orthopedic. He told me to wear my sneakers 24/7. I have to put them on the minute I get out of bed. This has made a difference, but my ankle is still not 100%. I am getting an MRI next.
It sounds like you might just have in injury. Do you notice it with all your heels or only a certain pair? Are you wearing really pointy toe heels? Heels are not necessarily the best things to be wearing for anyone. I found the older I got, the harder it was to wear them.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hey Bellykelly. It doesn't matter which pair of heels . Platform, pointy, closed toe, open toes, 2in, 3 in. Nada!!!! I usually take a 3 day break- dress down friday, saturday, and sunday. But come monday, after 12ish, there it is!!! I've been trying to understand the pain and I've been tippy toeing (I used to dance ballet) to see if I feel the pain. Pointing my foot is not the issue, but raising off the floor on my tippy toe does cause pain. So I think the issue is when I'm on the balls of my feet (which is why I can't do ballet at the moment). I think it's the weight that heels puts on my feet. At the moment, I am keeping a journal of week days and pain. It's so odd (or maybe not) that the second I am flat footed, I have no pain. But I have a high arch and if my feet are too flat, my arch gets achey.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Last edited by curly fry; 04-16-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sp

Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Just as suddenly as this agressive pain came on, it just disappeared! No pain at all! It's so weird because it didn't get better. It just disappeared. I guess the pain saw I wasn't going to give in and stop wearing heels.

Belly Kelly, hope you have gotten better.

Closed Thread