It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

Kelly311 HB User
Unhappy Cheilectomy Recovery Time?

Hello everyone,
I had a R toe Cheilectomy done on 3/9. Since that time; I have had my foot mostly elevated; way beyond the recommended time! As of today; it is still incredibly swollen and in pain. I was scheduled to have a fusion; but my time table to get back to work prevented that; so I opted for the 'easier' surgery....I still cannot get into a regular shoe; it is so swollen. And very painful. I called my Dr who suggested keeping it up and trying Advil.
I was under the impression that this was an 'easy' surgery; with a really quick recovery time; so I am wondering if anyone else has had a similiar experience?
Thanks so much!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cheilectomy Recovery Time?

I'm sorry for your situation. I can only relate my experience but I am surprised that they would do a cheilectomy on you at this stage - work situation or not. You have to have a certain amount of cartilege left to do a cheilectomy and if you have that much left then a fusion isn't warranted. So I'm a little confused on that issue.

I wore the surgical shoe for about a week after having my stitches out. After that, all I could wear was a Merrell mule style shoe. I could not get in any other kind of shoe.

I never elevated and iced as my doctor did not instruct me to do so.

Were you given exercises to do? If so, have you been doing them? If not, that will contribute to the pain as you have to loosen the joint and keep it moving for proper healing to occur.

Also, full recovery is approximately 12 months. What did your surgeon tell you?

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Cheilectomy Recovery Time?

I'd a curious about how much cartilage you had in your joint. My surgeon gave me a coice of a cheilectomy or a fusion. He told me that in my case, if the cheilectomy worked, it might only last a year, and he recommended a fusion. After much thought, I chose the fusion because I really did not want annual foot surgeries.

As I type this, I have a couple of other questions. Have you been checked for infection? Did you call your GP or your surgeon?

It would probably be good to get it checked out.....but then I am not knowledgable about cheilectomies. Everyone takes a different amount of time to heal.

Good luck.

Closed Thread