It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

courtneyp HB User
Smile Non-Displaced chip fracture of Anterior Calcaneus (heel) Questions

On 3/6 I was walking down and step and turned around to talk to a friend and completely missed the step inverting my ankle and landing on it. Initially it hurt like hell, but I've sprained my ankle many times and figure I'd just walk it out. Swelling and bruising occurred within seconds around the top of the talus. I ended up walking to the car and walking up my stairs to my apartment slowly but was weight bearing just fine. Went to bed that night and propped it up on pillows and iced it. Woke up in the morning to go to the bathroom and couldn't even put pressure on it. It felt as if I had no joints or bones connected. This was odd for me since I had fractured my right and left ankle on different occasions years before (1995, 1999) and I was always able to walk on my injuries.

Went to the ER and was told I had a chip fracture of the Talus and given an air cast. I had already been using crutches since I couldn't even walk without them and was told to go to an orthopedic doctor. Saw the Orthopedic Dr 3 days later and was told that he wasn't exactly sure I had a fracture of not and sent me to get a CT scan and gave me a walking air cast boot and told to walk on it when I was able. It took me a day to walk on it without crutches, but after that I was a happy girl to be mobile and without aching hands/wrists.

Got my results from CT scan and saw Orthopedic Dr and was informed I did have a non-displaced chip fracture of the Anterior Calcaneus (heel bone) and he said some mumble jumble about the Talus bone and Subtalar joint, informing me I had a unique and rare fracture and there is a 20% chance I'll need surgery. I understand it's a common reason for developing arthritis when the Subtalar joint or Talus bone is injured, so I understand it's a possibility. I am just hoping it isn't a surgery I'll ever need, especially not one now. I am allowed to stay in the walking boot and walk on it and even informed I could take it off when I am sitting as long as I don't move my foot all around and stretch it a bunch.

I am almost 3 weeks in and it feels decent except for pain in my heel when walking on it for awhile and my inability to sleep at night with my damn boot on. He told me I should sleep with it since I may move my foot in my sleep, but I can't seem to do it! I try instead to wear my boot throughout the day to make up for the fact I am not wearing it at night. I have an appointment April 14th, which will be 5 weeks with Air Boot and almost 6 weeks since injury. He said if I am itchin' to get the air boot off and if x-rays come out okay, there is a possibility I can get it off! I am hoping for the best.

Has anyone experienced any annoyances with the air boot at night? Do you sleep with it on?

I have also been going to the gym and doing a lot of upper body and core exercises, but I am seeing that my calf muscle in my hurt foot is already shrinking. Any suggestions on how to work my calf without injuring my foot. I believe the injury and the immobilization is to prevent the up and down (plantarflexion/dorsiflexion) motion of my foot/ankle so any suggestions on ways I can exercise my calf would be helpful!

The Following User Says Thank You to courtneyp For This Useful Post:
timely59 (01-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
(female)

Pelliskina HB User
Talking Re: Non-Displaced chip fracture of Anterior Calcaneus (heel) Questions

I also suffer from a chip ankle i injured it las august i fell down a flight of stairs initially went to th ER got an x-ray that showed no briken bones, after that wore an air cast for about 6 weeks with no weight on it. Did't help yhe pain was really bad it got pretty swollen my doctor made me get an ultrasound to rule out a clot cause i have had them in the past, the results were negative no clot. After that he sent me to a pain manegement doc who sent me to rehab went to rehab for over 6 weeks and the pain swelling didn't stop at all. After that had an MRI that showed liquid inside then they sent me to see a reumatologist to drain the liquid ,then he said that even if he drain it i would come back for some reason. At this point over 5 months have past and I still don't know what's wrong went back to my PCP and he finally sent me to an orthopedic surgeon another MRI and finally after 8 months of pain discover that i have a chip bone in my ankle he gave me a cortisone shot and said that I should come back in 2 weeks if the pain and swelling have not improved that I'm going to need surgery for it so my question is anyone has gone thru a similar or same expirience would love to know opinions of wether I should have surgery or not or if the cortisone shots have helped you. Please an answer I am desperate for answers

Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
(female)

courtneyp HB User
Re: Non-Displaced chip fracture of Anterior Calcaneus (heel) Questions

Good luck with your search for answers. I wish I could help you, but I was luckily enough to only need 2 weeks NWB and 5 weeks WB. I just got my boot off wed and got the okay to do cardio and walk without the crazy wooden shoe as I feel fit. I guess I can only hope that this provides you some hope that maybe you will heal and won't need surgery. I have noticed a lot of people with calcaneus chip fractures are put in a boot with NWB, but ended up needing surgery in the past or had complications. I am thinking there is a relationship between WB and healing because the research I've done has shown better healing rates. Good luck again and I am sorry you've had to go through this.

In your situation, i'd do whatever the doctor suggests including surgery! I believe you said your fracture is in the ankle, so trust that your doctor probably knows what is best. Most calcaneus fractures for instance result in surgery and I am sure there are many other chip fractures, especially if not healed correctly that end up resulting in needing surgery. Do what you feel is best to do.

Last edited by courtneyp; 04-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
(female)

Pelliskina HB User

Thank you very much it in deed helped me a lot to hear the expiriences of other people I'm just hopeful that the corstisone works still hasn't helped much but still I'm not giving out that it might actually work. I am happy to hear that you are doing better and without the wooden shoe that I could only imagine is really annoyng t least. Again thanks for the insight and well healing.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I shattered my calcaneous and talus, and was in to bad of shape for surgery, so its a little differant. I hadm to keep my foot elevated for 3 months, until I started walking on it. But you are walking on yours, so its differant. I also wore a compression sock. But swelling is good for healing, so need to talk to doc.

I slept with my walking cast on, until almost 12 weeks. Propped up on a pillow. Untuck sheets at the bottom of the bed.

Its hard to take,but need to wait and see, and listen to docs.

And yes, unfortuantely you may devlop arthitis, in the near future.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

Pelliskina HB User
Unhappy Re: Non-Displaced chip fracture of Anterior Calcaneus (heel) Questions

Did your doctor recommend cortisone shots at all. I had one last thursday and I has a flare it still hurts a lot and it doesn't seem to have worked is this normal? or will it take longer for it to work?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

Pelliskina HB User
Smile Re: Non-Displaced chip fracture of Anterior Calcaneus (heel) Questions

Well it's been a week since i had the cortisone shot and well it seems it didn't work, I called my doctors assistant because gosh the pain has just been getting worse every day. I'm supposed to wear the crutches from now until next monday when yup I'm gonna need surgery I'm a little scared about the anesthesia but on the other hand I'm happy cause it's about time I really get my life back and do all my regular things without pain or worrying about having a swollen ankle afterwards. Thank you all for your help I'll update this once I know when I'm going to have my surgery.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
(male)

william hyde HB User
calcaneus fracture

hi all.i fractured my right calcaneus on the 31st march 2010 falling about 3meters when a ladder slipped at work.my surgeon decided the best course of action was surgery (ORIF) with a possible bone graft as well ! ,but due to the swelling he thought it best to wait a few days.unfortunatley during this period two big blisters appeared ,eventually bursting causing an infection of the skin for which he prescribed a course of antibiotics.after about 8 days he told me (on one of my bi daily visits to the hospital) that he was concerned that we were running out of time for him to perform the procedure !! the latest possible date being 2 weeks after my accident.well to say the least this blew me away.looking back now I think this was my lowest point, the uncertainty about the op combined with the pain which was so intense, I really had to dig deep to keep my chin up at this time.anyway little did I know that there was good news on the horizon eventually on the 13th April I had surgery and had a plate fitted with 8 screws. The op was successful (without a bone graft) and they removed the drain on the 16th of April which being my birthday helped me convince them to let me go home that day, it was nice to have a couple beers that night and watch my 3 and 5 year old girls hopping round the house pretending they each had a bad foot .laughter is a good healer! My stitches were removed on the 26th April and at the moment I am 4 weeks post op next appt with my surgeon is on the 20th may with an xray prior to meeting him. Iím hoping he will allow me to put weight on it but from what Iíve read here and there this seems pretty unlikely as usually post op weight bearing on a damaged calcaneus is a minimum of 12 weeks, is this a general rule ? And has it got something to do with the screws and the bone? Also I have to inject myself every day in my stomach does anybody know how long this goes on for? I hope things are getting better for you patw27 and all in the calcaneus club.. has anybody heard of the heelies ?,heard they were a support group cant find them anywhere..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
(female)

desross4 HB User
Re: calcaneus fracture

William:

I belong to a "heelie" group called 'brokenheelnotspirit'. They've been very helpful with this injury. Was nonWBing for 17 weeks. Open rt calcaneus fx 2/09, 2 OR debridements, subtalar fusion & hardware removal.

Desross4

Closed Thread