It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
(male)

RollTide09 HB User
Question Newly Diagnosed PTTD Stage II

Hello, I was just diagnosed with stage II PTTD. My Ortho strongly suggested going the route of an AFO as an alternative to surgery. Anyone out there currently wearing an Arizona AFO? I was just casted for mine yesterday. What issues should I be aware of in the early days of getting accustomed to the brace?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
(male)

62557 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed PTTD Stage II

I also was recently diagnosed in both feet right foot stage2-3, left stage 1. Received my Arizona braces about 2 weeks ago and already hate these things. Hard to find shoes, hot and ugly. Dpm tells me without surgery I will be in these for atleast the rest of working carreer. Thats like 12-13 yrs.! Yikes, he offered me the name of surgeon and I suggested we wait a month or so to see if they will do anything for my better foot. He agreed and i go back the 26th. I am sure they are a great product but there is no way i am going to wear these things that long! Might go better for you I hope they do. Let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi,
I wore an AFO brace for about 5-6 months while waiting for my flat foot surgery.

I had to take it to the shoe store and try it on with sneakers to make sure it fit (I had to go up a whole size to fit it in my shoe). At first it was really uncomfortable, and pushed on my bones at the side of my ankle, but after wearing it a few hours a day for a couple weeks, I didn't even notice it.

I put in on first thing in the morning and wore it straight through till evening every day for months. It wasn't pretty, and I'm lucky I could wear sweat pants and sneakers to school every day (I teach elementary school).

It made walking possible, it lessened my limp, and I'm glad I tried it before having the surgery. I still couldn't exercise without pain. It didn't heal any of my problems, but it did keep me on my feet.

Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi again,
I also had stage II PTTD.
I am now at 11 weeks post-op, and am finding it to be a L-O-N-G recovery, but it's worth it to me, because I couldn't do any exercise, dancing, running, or hiking before the surgery, and now I'm hopeful that things will be better when I heal up!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
(male)

62557 HB User

Thanks Kindercarol. I guess I am just tired of dealing with this. My right foot and ankle hurt 24/7. Not terrible but always there and sometimes pretty bad. I had a heck of a time finding steeltoed boots for work but finnaly did. I also wear the braces for at least 9 hrs a day. I wish i would have known ahead how hot they are, not that it would do any good but just a fore warning. I just don't want the feeling of doubting if I can do something i used to do with out any thought. It's been 5yrs. a blown diagnose by the 1st Dpm. 2 sets of orthotics 5 months in a boot 2 of which I kept working in a factorie,Cortizone shots, oral steroids and now a new Dpm (he seems to get it) and now braces. Just had enough! Thanks again.
Don

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
(male)

RollTide09 HB User

Thanks everyone for your input. The AFO is my last option prior to surgery.
I've had 2 Ortho's tell me the AFO is the best option at this point. I work in an industrial setting and on my feet 10-12 hrs a day. If this thing stops the
'knife in the foot" sensation I think I can tolerate it...hopefully!

Good luck to all of you as well!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Guys,
Yes, indeed! Having foot problems is complicated and very time intensive.

My orthodics allowed me to stay active, and mostly comfortable for 30 years (I'm 53 now). But once the posterior tibial tendon got hurt a year ago, I tried everything. Nothing worked, and I couldn't do anything fun anymore. Heck, I could barely walk....and so I took the plunge and had the surgery after going for 3 doctor's opinions.

Today was my third session with the PT. He had me ride a stationary bike, and do 3 sets of leg extensions...it felt so good to be in a gym again, and actually using some muscles. Of course I still can't walk yet without my walker, but that'll come.

The surgery and especially the recovery is tough. I hope to be on this site in a year with a great success story to share. Right now, it's all a long waiting game. Lots of ups and plenty of downs.

Hope everyone is having a comfortable Tuesday.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
(male)

62557 HB User

Thanks kindercarol. Yeah I'm learning alot on these threads. I really like all the info and the feeling that "hey I'm not the 1st one to go through this" Pretty much made up my mind that I am going to see the surgeon. These braces just are not cutting it and I really don't see me in them long term. Sounds like from everyone that the surgery and recovery are a bummer but worth it. I have a great wive and my job is very understanding so i don't have to think about that. Sounds like you are getting pretty much on the mend but still have away to go, best of luck Certainly appreciate any and all advice.
anybody has

Closed Thread