It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Hammertoe and bunion surgery.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="4"]I'm looking for any information on what I might expect from surgery to repair a hammertoe and bunion. I've been to the doctor and he explained that to repair the hammertoe the bunion also must be repaired. He went on further to say that I'd be in a boot for approximately 8 weeks and the first week I'd be completely off my feet, I believe he mentioned a pin would be inserted as well. He discussed the proceedure further but this was a few months ago and to be quite honest; I put the idea out of my head. [B] I'm very nervous!![/B]I really want to know what to expect; what type of pain, how long were you NWB restricted, when did you put on any sort of real "shoe"whether a sneaker or not, how was the swelling....but most importatnly...when were you walking normal again; normal being described as "no pain and no swelling".

I really appreciate any and all replies as the timing of this surgery is very important. I have a trip planned in October and something is telling me to do the surgery "AFTER" the trip.

Thanks....[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited by MrsLinda; 04-05-2010 at 09:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsLinda For This Useful Post:
irena (09-07-2011)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: Hammertoe and bunion surgery.

[I][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]I'm probably going to get "in trouble" for this post but here goes....

I can't believe that over 100 people have stopped to read my post [B][COLOR="Red"]"Hammertoe and bunion surgery"[/COLOR][/B] and not [B]ONE[/B] person even replied. Now I'm sure there are people out there who have had a bunion removed and a hammer toe fixed at the same time. Yet not [B]ONE[/B] person even bothered to offer any advice, words of wisdom or post surgery tips.

I use to frequent this board daily years ago and discoverd back then that this isn't the most "information friendly" board. I have no idea what the criteria has to be for someone, anyone to at least offer a sympathic ear in the way of a reply.

I posted an eye question several weeks ago and was quite surprised when one person replied. This person was very kind and informative and for awhile there restored my "faith" in this board. There were a few other replies, but only after this person and I began a longer discussion about my eye.
But alas, again I've posted a simple request and again no one has bothered to reply.

So that being said, I will more than likely loose my so called membership to this board and so be it.

I appologize to anyone who over the years has had "conversations" with me. This obviously isn't directed to you. But I can't believe the "coldness" of this board and decided it was time to say something.

I will NOT be returning...so please feel free to make any comments. Oh wait a minute...I forgot. No one bothers here.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Last edited by MrsLinda; 04-05-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Hi, I am also surprised nobody has answered you. The health boards are normally very busy and there is usually atleast one person to help. Maybe they are out because of the nice weather, I don't know, but this has happened to me also. Your upcoming surgery is VERY similar to the one I must have. I am very nervous about mine too. I have to have bunion surgery and a surgery on the toe next to that, as the bone is too long, and causing a very painfull callous on the bottom of my foot, making it hard to walk. There will be screws in both. I am worried about healing, the screws being there, the length of time I will be laid up etc. The good news is, the doc told me I would immediately be in a walking cast, where you can walk on the heal of your foot only, right away, with crutches of course, the cast is made this way, so atleast I can put my heel down for support. Can your doc put you in one of these? The time to heal is about the same I was told also, 8 weeks, but you would be in the walking cast and not laid up all that time. I hope you can reply to me! I want somebody to talk to too!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hi

I have just seen your message as I have not been able to get online for a few weeks since my op. I know how you feel about the replies, or rather, lack of! I have put a few posts on here and felt very alone with not a single reply...I even got a warning once cos I posted a link to my foot blog! Wwas seen as advertising!)

Anyway, I havent had exactly the same as you may have, but I had fusion and straightening of the 1st IP joint on my big toe. This involved a pin going through the tip of my big toe all the way to the 2nd joint almost. This is the most painful and I am 5 weeks post op today and it is very sore still, esp at night. I have a cut around the joint of the big toe and a cut on the tip where the pin was inserted.

then I had weils shortening to metatarsals 2, 3, 4 and 5. This was because I have a very short 1st metatarsal and was weight bearing through toes 2 to 4 which was very painful and caused a huge buildup of callus.
I had cuts between 2 and 3 and another between 4 and 5. each cut is about 2inches long.

I am partial weight bearing in a reverse camber shoe and on crutches. I also use a wheel chair for doc visits as any walking is very painful.

I was told to expect a very long recovery and will have orthotics fitted in may and should be able to start full weight bearing in late may / june.

It has been very painful but I am pleased with how my foot looks now even though it is very swolled and goes purple when it is any lower than heart level!

I really hope you make an informed choice and become painfree soon

Kate x

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Hi Kate, thankyou for your reply. I didn't quite understand some of your message. How many places on your foot did you have surgery? And how many screws did they use? This is my biggest concern. I have never had hardware used, and it sounds like I will have two dif. surgeries on 2 dif. toes, they will be fused with screws. Do they do the surgery from the top of the foot? Thankyou for any info.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hi

I had the metatarsals on the all toes next to my big toe shortened and fixed with screws and my big toe fused with a pin. so every toe was operated on. they went in through the top of the foot where i have 2 cuts, the big toe joint where i have a cut and the tip of the big toe has a cut too so i have 4 incisions.

sorry for the confusing message, i am still in alot of pain and on strong painkillers so what i think isnt always what i type!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok, thanks so much for your reply. I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. I am having the same surgery you had on the toe next to my big toe, and the bunion surgery also. I wish you luck in your recovery.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

mertzb HB User

Had this ssurgery in Dec.2009. Mine was 4 bunions and 8 hammertoes..very extensive and both feet at same time. I had casts for 5 weeks and 18 wires. I didn't have severe pain until I got the casts off and the wires out. At about 7 or 8th week I started having nerve pain in my toes and it lasted on and off for 2 wks...but those toes had been numb for years. The bunion part didn't seem to cause me much pain at all. Getting the wires pulled was not bad. At this point I am still having a lot of swelling but not alot of pain so I am not back to "normal" yet and it has been 5 mo. but U am progressing nicely. I am so glad I had it done, It was painful but well worth it in the end! I suggest you wait til after your trip just in case. Good luck

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

[B]Thank you all [/B]for the replies and understanding of my last post. It's so frustrating when you come to a place for "information and sharing" and not a single person extends a helping hand.

mertzb - I'm definately waiting until after the trip. I didn't want to take any chances of having problems with my feet in Walt Disney World!

kate - how are you feeling? I see it's been a few weeks since you posted. Are you in less pain now? hope you're doing better!!

kasey - I'll definately look into that walking cast. I'm not good on crutches and I'm concerned about getting around the house once I can "get on my feet".

When are you scheduling your sugery? I'm holding out until after October.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-20-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: please do not discuss other boards and their policies

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
(female)

mamacta72 HB User

I am 10 days post op. I had a double-bunionectomy one bunion on each foot, one taylors bunion, baby hammer toe, and two corns removed, way harder to deal with than a single. I hardly had any pain just discomfort and swelling which with all the bandages felt like the circulation was stopping the bloodflow to my feet but my doctor said it was fine. Even with my husband being home for the first 5 days was extremely difficult. He tried helping me to the bathroom but i was better off doing it myself. I sleep on an air matress in the living room. I'd roll off and roll myself in front of the couch turn backwards and use my arm muscle to slide onto couch backwards. I'd have th wheelchair close enough to sit up using my arm muscles again and slide into wheel chair and rolling myself to the bathroom.Make sure the the wheelchair WHEELS ARE ALWAYS LOCKED!! I get close as i can to the entrance of the bathroom take 2 steps on my HEELS and plop onto toilet,what a relief. Getting up was more challenging. To take a bath was somewhat difficult. I'd wheel myself to the bottom of the stairs and sit on the bottom step backwards. I'd pull myself up the stairs once again using my arms and pushing gently with my heels to go up 2 flights. Took me 10 minutes the 1st 3 times now i make it in half the time.Once on top of the stairs, I scoot myself on my bottom into the bathroom scooting backwards. I scoot close to the bathtub, and once again using my arms pulled myself up and over into the bathtub hanging my feet out. It helps to have a removable showerhead so you can give yourself your own . bath. Going down the stairs is way easier. Gotta tell you, I'm 38, out of shape, and weigh 190lbs. But i did it. My arm, stomach, and leg muscles feel stronger. At 5 days post-op i went to my appt. I was extremely nervous. This was my first surgery. I was sweating and wanted to faint. It felt good to have the bandages off. But when they took the tape off my stitches to clean the area I freaked. You might feel a little pulling on the stitches but NO pain. He rewrapped the foot and it's very tight again. My advice, the ELEVATE AND ICE!!!! I'm 10 days post op and I am still elevating and icing. I go back in 5 days which would be 2 weeks and 1 day to get my stitches removed.He said i can then purchase a good running shoe that he recommended but will still need bedrest for another week or two. I can wear the running shoe or the boot whichever feels more comfortable. I will continue wearing the boot because I don't think i feel comfortable enough right now to fit my foot in a shoe.Also for you women out there, try and schedule your sugery a couple of days after your menstral period...
Just has my stitches removed today 15 days post-op, didn't hurt but really stung. I felt clammy and almost fainted. Walking in the boot is very scary now because i no longer have it wrapped. I never had any pain after surgery only uncomfortable feeling of the swollen feet and the extremely tight ace bandage. I'm so happy i had both feet done at the same time. My docotr was Tony Nguyen DPM (orthopedic surgion) San Diego, CA Kaiser Hospital...Awesome guy!!!!

Last edited by mamacta72; 05-07-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
(female)

Aloha 12 HB User

[QUOTE=klang2001;4221870]Hi

I had the metatarsals on the all toes next to my big toe shortened and fixed with screws and my big toe fused with a pin. so every toe was operated on. they went in through the top of the foot where i have 2 cuts, the big toe joint where i have a cut and the tip of the big toe has a cut too so i have 4 incisions.

sorry for the confusing message, i am still in alot of pain and on strong painkillers so what i think isnt always what i type![/QUOTE]

Hello Klang,

Sounds like you had similar surgery to mine. My surgery was performed on March 23. I am seven weeks post op. I had metatarsals on toes 2, 3, 4 shortened, big toe straightened, toes 2, 3, were fused. Nothing was done to my baby toe. I had pins, wires, I am not sure what they are called as everyone seems to call them something different, coming out of toes 2 and 3 and my big toe. They also went in through the top of my foot with several cuts and the side of my big toe. The pins and stitches were removed five weeks after surgery. I was very nervous going into that appointment, mostly about having the pins removed, but much to my surprise it didn't really hurt at the time of removal. I could feel them come out but it was not painful. I was not given any medication for this. It hurt more when the stitches were removed but it wasn't really that painful either. The pain came after he re-wrapped it very tight and I returned home. It was painful for about three days after that appointment, but nothing that could not be managed with Aleeve round the clock. I am still NWB and even if the doctor gave me the ok, I wouldn't be able to put weight on it due to the pain. One of the biggest challenges has been to be under "house arrest" as my doctor puts it. Friends and family have been coming over but I am not really allowed to go off my property. I do go out in the backyard. I go back to the doctor in two weeks and hope he will give me the ok to be out of the house. When was your surgery?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
(female)

Aloha 12 HB User

Have you decided to have surgery? I had foot reconstruction surgery 7 weeks ago. It was more involved than just hammertoe but included hammertoe as well. If you are still need input I will be more than willing to give you some helpful suggestions.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hello
Sorry for the lack of communication recently. I am now 11 weeks post op and seem to be stuck in limbo. I had my follow up with the registra of a different consultant and felt he had no idea what he was talking about. that was 4 weeks ago and he told me to start walking and wearing my normal shoes again! I have written to the consultant for some better advice!
I am still in the heel walker and still can't put any weight through my forefoot at all.
I am back at the hospital tomorrow to have a differnt shoe fitted with the orthotics dept as I called them to explain my situation.

I am so fed up with it now. I just want to be able to walk a ltiile way with out it swelling to twice the normal size, or even sit with out having a pile of pillows!

sorry for the moan.

Kate

Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
(female)

Aloha 12 HB User

Hi Kate!

I was so glad when I opened my e mail this morning and saw that you had responded. I don't mind your complaining at all as I to am complaining and for good reason! I am 8 weeks post op now and I don't really see much improvement. Each day my foot seems to be the same, no better, no worse. There is always pain except when I sleep at night and I keep it perfectly still. The pain can be managed with Advil or Aleeve but I don't like to take it all the time as I feel it can be harmful to other parts of my body if I use it long term. My last visit was about three weeks ago and my doctor told me to keep my foot elevated most of the time. He gave me a walking boot and said that he wants me to just get used to wearing it. I am not allowed to walk at all yet. I can use my Roll-About scooter to get around the house, but no walking. He told me to put the boot on and stand and put pressure only on my heel. I still have a dressing on my foot that is quite large and puffy on the bottom of my foot. I am not allowed to take the dressing off. When I try to put the boot on and put pressure only on my heel it's impossible as the dressing is to big to puts pressure on the ball of my foot also. I tried it once and decided not to try it again until he takes the dressing off. I did try to keep the boot on while I was sitting with my foot elevated, did it once for about 20 minutes and after I took it off my foot was in a considerable amount of pain for the next 6 hours or so. I took some Aleeve and didn't do that again. I go back to the doctor next Monday the 24th. I will get a more clear picture from him then of exactly how much time I should spend in the boot. If I had it my way I don't want to wear it at all! When I look back I guess I have made progress in terms of being stronger all over. I can be up for about 20 minutes at a time now. The rest of the time I am sitting with my foot up on pillows! I like you am so tired of being in a pile of pillows. I do not work so I guess I am lucky that I have not had to try to get back to a job. I can not drive yet. So, I feel trapped here at my house. Spending 11 weeks in the house is not fun! My husband does work so he is gone most of the day five days a week. I am truly a people person, being home alone all the time has really gotten me very depressed. I am NOT a depressed person at all! My physical therapist told me before the surgery that recovery from this type of surgery is one of the toughest you can experience. I believe him now! I worked with him for about 8 months prior to my surgery in hopes that I could fix my foot with therapy rather than have surgery but there were to many mechanical issues with my foot so I had to have the surgery. I will go back to him for rehab once my doctor gives me the ok. I hired a physical therapist to come to my house once a week. This is one of the best things I did for myself! She comes every Thursday for an hour and 30 minutes and works me out! I had my surgery on a Tuesday and she started coming the next Thursday. She has been invaluable. As you know the rest of your body can become so sore and stiff when you are just sitting around all the time. I have always been into exercising and even used to be an aerobic instructor, but when you are recovering from this type of surgery you need special exercises that will benefit your foot as well as the rest of your body. She has shown me things to do that I never would have known myself. I knew I would have to keep a strong body or I would become even more depressed. I work out at least 5 days a week. What else do I have to do!! I was also worried that not being up much and burning almost NO calories cardio wise I didn't want to get fat. I have managed to keep my weight the same as it was before surgery so I feel good about that. I wonder how long it will really be before I can actually walk with some normalcy. Who knows. I don't even think the doctors know. I think it depends on your body. I would really like to be able to keep my foot down for longer periods of time so I could actually sit at the dinner table with my foot under the table not on top of the table! It would be nice to go out to dinner! It would be nice to get out of this house at all! OK, I will stop complaining now. Thanks for listening. It's nice to know there is someone out there who can really relate to what I am going through. My doctor told me that I am in the top 2% of the most extensive surgeries he does on the foot. I am also a little worried how my foot will feel with two of my toes fused. Are you worried about that? It makes me sad to think that they will never move again. I am trying to be positive for a complete recovery. I did see 7 doctors before I chose the one I chose. He is suppose to be the best around. So far, so good. He is very patient, and understanding. I will keep you posted as I go along. I wish I could give you some grand advice that would help you recover quicker. I feel that time will be the only thing that will heal us. We must be patient. Thanks for listening.

Have the best day of your life!
Cindy

Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hi Cindy

Gosh, it is so nice to know I am not alone!
The days are so long when your on your own, my hubby works long hours and I have a son at school all day. It is driving me slightly bonkers talking to the dog!
What sort of exercise do you do to work out? I have been trying to do gently sit ups and arm exercises as like you, the worry of weight gain is high on my list.

yesterday I had a hospital appointment where they had to press my foot into a mold which was the 1st real pressure it has had. by the time I got home my foot was very very swollen and I have been in bed all morning with the tramadol and pillows to try to help it go down.
The doc was very surprised how bruised it still is 11 weeks on.

Thanks again for helping me feel human through this!

kate

Closed Thread