It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

ashbash20 HB User
Surgery, Now or Later? Ankle fushion, arthritis, etc

Hello!

I am a 20 year old woman who has multiple foot problems. Since I was 12, I've been to more doctors than I can count about them. At first I was told I had tendinitis, then plantar fasciitis, and finally on flexible flat feet. I had a surgery to correct the flat feet, and everything seemed fine for a while.

Now though I've got mild arthritis in the earliest stages forming in my ankle joints. To go along with that, I've got heel bones that are improperly aligned, a calf muscle that isn't long enough, and more tendinitis than I know what to do with.

My doctor's suggestion is major surgery. He wants to realign the heel bones, lengthen my calf muscle, scrape off the outside of my tendons, and fuse my ankle joint. This all sounds pretty dramatic and terrifying.

At this point, my pain is pretty mild. No running, no long walks, and no standing for long periods of time are my limitations. I have to wear ankle braces any time I want to stand for a while. Occasionally I get pain that is seemingly random, but that's not too often.

So, I'm not sure what to do. It seems pretty understood that at some point this is going to get worse (what with an improperly aligned heels and the arthritis already showing up at such a young age.) The question is: Do I do surgery now or wait? I'm young now so recovery will be easy, and I've got time off for school, but... The pain isn't so bad, and there's always a chance it won't get worse on it's own. There's also the chance that the surgery will cause yet another issue.

I know this is my decision to make with the help of my doctor, but any opinions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited by ashbash20; 03-30-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

ditzysissy HB User
Re: Surgery, Now or Later? Ankle fushion, arthritis, etc

wow, thats a lot for being 20. my opinion is to have it done now. I'm 29 and had a subtalar joint fusion done 9 weeks ago due to arthritis. it was so bad that I could barely walk after working 10hrs a night. Your young and have the time to get it done. As you get older, you may not have the "right" time to do it. good luck with the choice you make and I hope it all works out for you

Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

ProspectNaples HB User
Re: Surgery, Now or Later? Ankle fushion, arthritis, etc

You're so young to be having these problems. I feel for you. I'm 55 and facing these decisions and I just don't want to do it. I know I have to. I posted almost the same story that you did....about not being sure what to do. It's scary to think that there could be complications and you would be worse off. That's what I'm afraid of, yet I have spent so many years in pain. It limited my walking, standing, etc and basically my life. You have a lot of years ahead of you and living to do. Life isn't very much fun when you get left behind because you can't do the walking. I wish I could tell you what to do. What do your parents say? Do you have enough of a support system to help you through the recovery? Best of luck to you. I hope I helped you just a little bit.

Closed Thread