It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
(male)

MrSmith404 HB User
Re: Life after a calcaneus fracture?

Hello all --

Just came across this site today after searching for information on recovery times. I shattered my calcaneus 23 days ago and had surgery two weeks ago today. Today has been the best day since the dressing was changed Thursday, but I still have questions that pop up during the vast majority of time which I am not in the doc's office. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep my psychological state positive, as I realize this is the only way I'm going to make it through this time. I am (was) very active and now have moments where I am overwhelmed by the prospect of not walking for weeks and months and losing all my muscle tone due to inactivity. So happy to find this site. I currently have a splint with Ace-style bandages around it, until the stitches come out next Thursday. Did anyone else have this same process? I have tingling throughout my foot almost constantly, but the swelling has gone done considerably. When I unwrap the splint but leave the foot/ankle bandage on, the pain, tingling, and swelling disappear almost instantly. I am hesitant to leave it unwrapped for long, but it feels so good like this. Anyone else have similar experiences? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place; it is my first time. Thanks in advance for any help both for posting and health-wise.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
(female)

climbr HB User

Hi MrSmith,

My surgery was almost three weeks ago, and my stitches came out 6 days ago. They put me in a half cast after the surgery which I could not remove. I did have tingling sensations in my foot, especially if I was up and moving around a little. Now that the cast is off and I am in a removable boot the tingling has disappeared. I was pretty good about being relaxed with my foot elevated for most of the 2 weeks post surgery in the cast. Now I am able to be upright most of the day with no sweliing, pain, or problems.

I hear you about the inactivity part. I am a climber, mountaineer, backpacker-type and this summer of no walking is killing me. But it is super important to remain positive, ask your doc lots of questions and follow PT instructions to a T to minimize downtime. I suffered through rehabbing a torn ACL and subsequent surgery 2 years ago so I know how important the recovery process can be. And with a stronger knee, I know it is possible to bounce back from injury.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I had tingling for a few months. Now I have most of the feeling in my foot, except a spot on the heel. Nothing I notice.

Keep up with the PT, and keep it elevated, really elevated.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
(male)

MrSmith404 HB User

Good afternoon --

Sorry for the delay. My stitches come out Thursday, and I am definitely excited. I have had dreams about walking for the past four nights, where I can just stand up and move around with the wrap on and everything. I'm sure this is not uncommon; my brain is ready to get moving I suppose. I have been pain-free for a couple weeks now, with only the occasional shooting pain that makes my entire body jolt. I have regained full motion of my ankle and toes, but the swelling comes and goes. I'm sure these are common symptoms at four weeks post-op, which was yesterday. Excited for the next step!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Full range of motion is great. I lost a bit, but I didn't have surgery. Unfortunately, you probably got some more waiting, before they let you walk. This is one of those things, you just got to wait out.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #21
(female)

Calcaneus Girl HB User

MrSmith - you say you shattered your calcaneus - did you have your calcaneus rebuilt with pins and screws? My second surgery was 3/15 when they actually rebuilt my heel with plates/screws & pins. My foot was so swollen that after the stitches came out my surgery incision split completely open. It is still open. Yes - I just said that. I did ask my surgeon - on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, how bad my injury was and he said 11 as it was one of the worst he has ever seen. My foot is still swollen. I have no feeling in foot. The only feeling I get is strong electricity jolts through my leg & foot (guessing its the nerves). I have been upgraded this past week to walking with a cane (which is YAY) but I still can not sit for a full day w/ my leg at a 45 degree angle (like on a chair) I have to keep it up or I am in pain and the swelling is intense. I was told that I will not be able to walk w/o assistance until October. In addition - I just found out that my second toe will never be straight again because the tendon that controls that toe was severed in the accident (the tendon lies under your calcaneus) - so these are the little things that come along w/ the injury I guess (or perhaps I have won the calcaneus injury of the year and get all the terrible side effects!)

Good luck!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

I had my foot elevated all the time before I started walking, and elevated quite a bit after that even, for a few months. I mean really elevated, two pillows on top of having my recliner all the way back. Slept with two pillows too.

My toes curl down, but not as bad, as they were. My physical therapist had me pull back on the bottoms, while pushing down on the knuckle. Once I started doing this through out the day, I started to see results.

I walk fine without a cane, though I did use one for a few months.

Last edited by Zerk; 07-21-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
(male)

wonderboy953 HB User

Hi There,

I had an accident myself about 3 month ago. i had surgery and im still partially weight bearing. i had allot of nerve damage and im on medication to help it. my doctor said that i should be able to walk with out assistance in like 6 month. he also mentioned that everyone heals differently. as for the arthritides, that is some thing that may or may not develop, the most important thing you can do right now is make sure you do physical therapy as much as you can

Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
(male)

dave11014 HB Userdave11014 HB User

I doubt you will have a limp if you wear a good shoe with orthotics and stretch it and go to therapy. My surgery was not done well so I had problems with pain but not much of a limp with good shoes but I have to stay off it and just had a procedure to correct it called a triple arthrodesis which is a fusion to get rid of the pain and you may need this someday if arthritis does come? Orthotics are very important and shoes with a soft thick sole.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

I can walk without a limp, but sometimes when not trying I do limp.
But I plan on playing this card, if a cop, ever asks me to walk the line.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
(male)

Were you given anti inflams for the swelling and ice? I hope so! or get another doc?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

Actually swelling is good for the healing, otherwise they would give you meds to get rid of it. Which is what one physical therapist told me.

I was on ibuphren at the hospital, but doc took me off cause of blood thinners. He gave me celebrex to take as needed for the pain, which I think is also a anti inflamitory.

But I was never really told to take a NSAID, early on. I do take on now, but not every day, though I probably should.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am cleaning out the rafters of my garage, so I may not have anything positive to say in a couple hours.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
(male)

I agree controlled swelling is a good thing but when its out of control its a bad thing!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #30
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvillegirl View Post
Hi all,

I'm glad to have come across this site, there's much to be learned here. I was in a car accident the first week of January and fractured my right heel. (My car slammed into a tree after sliding on ice). I have been seeing a great O who said I didn't need surgery so I was put in a splint for about 4 weeks, a cast for about 4 weeks and Im currently in an air cast now which has to stay on at all times except for bathing. Ive been goint to PT 2x a week for about 5 weeks now and I keep getting in trouble because my foot tends to swell a bit and I hate putting ice on it because the pain is terrible! My question is this: Whats to be expected after I'm released from treatment? Ive been told I'm going to have arthritis in this foot for the rest of my life and that I'm not going to be able to stand on uneven ground since I've lost that r to l motion in my joint. I'm currently trying to settle with my insurance company and am pretty sure that these injuries are permanent? I was pretty active before this happened (ran about 2-3 miles a week), and I'm single mom to a very active 3 year old which has been the worst part for me. Also I'm wondering if I will ever wear heels again? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
If the doctor did a good job with the corrective surgery and lined everything up good and you keep strengthening that foot I would say you will be running after a year or so but ask the doc mine said a year. Heels may be slightly uncomfortable and you may need arch supports but do extra exercise for that foot and if the surgeon was any good you will be ok. I say this because I broke both of them and one was done well and the other was not and there is a major difference and I never did the muscle work which is a big mistake.

Closed Thread