It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
(male)

horsebite HB User
Peroneal Tear Repair, Ankle Scope, and Brostrom procedure...what to expect?

Hello,

Tomorrow morning I am going into surgery to have a peroneal tear repair (both tendons), an ankle scope, and brostrom procedure to repair my ligament.

I am not finding a lot of info about these surgeries, what is done during them, and recovery time, so I am just looking for some info about what to expect! Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-12-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Peroneal Tear Repair, Ankle Scope, and Brostrom procedure...what to expect?

Hey there...

I've been through what you are having done twice. I also had some other issues that were fixed as well, but I can give you some insight.

The peroneal repair will probably involve a decent size incision. The pain there wasn't nearly as bad as the pain from the scope. The Brostrom was the same.

I had 2 different dr.s do the surgery. The first time I was on crutches, NWB for 8 weeks. I wasn't allowed to run until 5 mos post-op, it was 3 mos the second time, but that was nearly impossible.

Pain is bad for a day or two. Then okay until you start putting weight on your ankle. THen it is intense from about week 10-16. Then the pain is less and you feel much better by 16 weeks.

To fix peroneal they will basically just sew up the tendon. They have to topen the tendon sheath, clean it out, sew the tendon and then lightly close up the sheath again.

The Brostrom they take the tendon, cut it in half, then "Pants over vest" fashion they sew it back up again, tighter. SOmetimes they will reinforce with the peroneal retinaculum to keep it tighter.

Scope, they are looking in the joint and cleaning out any scar tissue and things like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
(male)

horsebite HB User

Thanks for the information! Not really looking forward to this, but looking forward to the time where I won't have to limp around!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
(male)

horsebite HB User

It's been about three and a half weeks since my three surgeries and thought I'd update anyone who cares to read on my progress. I had my surgical splint/cast removed on April 26th, two weeks post-op. What a gruesome sight!! Very swollen, whole foot was bruised...pretty disgusting. Incision is about three inches long right down across the ball of my ankle as well as two smaller incisions on both sides of my ankle, I assume from the ankle scope. Foot is actually still very swollen and bruised even today, especially if my foot is not elevated for a few minutes, it will turn purple and swell and become very painful.

Pain was pretty bad for the first two and a half weeks or so. I've spent the past three and a half weeks on the couch during the day, with my foot elevated on about four pillows, and an ice pack under my knee (until cast was off, now on the ankle directly). The worst part about it was not the pain, but the excruciating boredom that hits you. It's not so bad while you're on the pain killers haha, but once you're out of those....man is it mind numbing.

When the doctor removed my cast he put me back in my cam walker to "protect the ankle". I am still non-weight bearing and go back to see him again on Monday. I have begun very minimal physical therapy, only doing 10 degree inversion/eversion and doing some exercises for my thigh muscles. My calf has deteriorated to just a bunch of flappy skin and is hilariously skinny. Amazing how quickly the leg muscles deteriorate when you don't use them for three weeks. Also amazing how little I am able to move my foot and wiggle my toes. I'll get it back, but it's scary! I can't even imagine how bad trying to put weight on it is going to be.

The pain has subsided substantially, but I still have quite a bit. I am off of the narcotics, but wish I had them for the night time. I have a tough time sleeping in the cam walker, but it seems when my foot is in the cam walker my ankle hurts a LOT more than if it is not in the boot. I will be asking my doctor if I need to wear it all the time or just when moving around/sleeping to keep it stabilized. May also ask for a low-dose narcotic to help with the pain at night while trying to sleep. I often wake up multiple times at night with excruciating pain in my ankle, I will also wake up repeatedly when my body decides to spasm the muscle and tendon in my calf and foot. It hurts like you would not believe. Not sure why it only happens when I'm trying to sleep. I also get a significant amount of pain from time to time in my achilles tendon, hopefully that will go away.

Like I said, I return to the doctor on Monday and we'll see when he thinks I can start going to partial weight bearing. I am returning to sedentary office work on Tuesday, barring his approval. I've been off work since the surgery on the 13th, so I am actually looking forward to getting out of the house and getting to see something other than my living room. I'll post updates on Monday!

Last edited by horsebite; 05-08-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

ctucker225 HB User

Please do post after your appointment. I am having a brostrom on the 27th and am very interested in everyones stories. Good luck to you with your recovery.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Hey, glad that you are doing okay.

I'd ask your dr. about sleeping out of the boot. I was allowed to take mine off for sleeping way before I was allowed to take it off when I was awake.

I have pictures of my 2 week post op ankle(from each time) They all were pretty gross looking with the foot and ankle being purple and swollen. It will improve quickly.

Good for you for starting some PT. ROM was the hardest to get back.

Your calf will take a long time to get back. Mine is way smaller, as you can imagine with 3 surgeries in 3 years. It will come back though.

Keep us updated. Good luck at your appt. on Monday.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
(male)

Slash 34 HB User

Hello, I had my brostrom procedure and arthroscopy done on May 13th and it's been a few weeks. The first 2 days after surgery were incredibly painful and they put me on Hydromorphone for a week and then downgraded to codeine. I had my ATFL ligament cut short and sutured. Then had calcium arthritic development cut off and the surgeon cleaned out lots of scar tissue and bone fragments.

I am now in a walking air cast and slowly putting weight on it. The stitches were taken out last week. There is still swelling as a result from moving around.

My ankle was so bad that I had no other alternative to get it done if I ever wanted to run again.

IF I had the ability to just do physio again that would have been preferable but even the physiotherapists said there was nothing they could do.

Tomorrow morning I am going into surgery to have a peroneal tear repair (both tendons), an ankle scope, and brostrom procedure to repair my ligament.

I am not finding a lot of info about these surgeries, what is done during them, and recovery time, so I am just looking for some info about what to expect! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

soccerjc HB User

I just had an ankle scope with brostrom three days ago and my ATFL and CFL were both repaired and a "fat" bone spur on my tibia shaved down. I had looked all over the internet and even medical databases for information on this from a patient's prospective and these forms were very helpful and relatively accurate on what to expect.

I am actually a physician in another specialty, but still had a lot of questions and found forums like this more helpful than even talking to the surgeon and/or the medical literature.

At this point im still in pain, but its tolerable. I also decided that I prefer the pain to the nausea and constipation (yeah, vicodin not treating me well and really not helping too much), so I am actually off pain meds at this point and not too uncomfortable either. I guess it gives me a good excuse to watch the world cup?

I was terrified about the idea of having surgery--partially because the idea of being a patient freaks me out and partially because I was having this done at a hospital I work at, but it wound up being a relatively positive experience. Like most of the other users, im in the splint/surgical dressing for two weeks and then a hard cast for 4 more and then a camboot for 6. I was initially told it could be 9 mo to a year before im back to playing contact sports, but the surgeon also said that if im motivated and can tolerate a little pain it could be sooner so I guess we'll see. I was at a point where I couldnt walk without my ankle giving out, so hopefully this will do the trick.

Nice to hear all your stories...this post is partially out of bordum...

Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

soccerjc--Your situation sounds a lot like mine except I tore my ligaments playing football, not soccer and I'm an RN in another specialty (not an MD). I, too, had a Brostrom with both my ATFL and CFL repaired at the hospital I worked at. I was an SICU RN and went back to work full time 5 wks after surgery in the boot (NOT a smart idea, but I was bored). Also like you, did not like the pain meds. Lortab made me wired instead of sleepy like everyone else and I found I'm allergic to the white compound they use so unless it's pink Lortab, I was itching in places I won't mention. I had a lot of pain initially and then a TON of pain when I changed from my plaster to fiberglass cast. Being pushed into 90 degrees is NOT fun! Then the pain settled down until I got the cast off and went into the boot. It was just an odd sensation in the boot. When I started putting weight on it in the boot, it became painful again. But I got used to it and wasn't taking narcs anymore and went back to work. It took another 5 weeks after that to completely heal, but it did. I had my surgery 9 years ago and you might appreciate this story or find it funny. One day at work, I was giving report of a patient to 3 physicians that were at my table. I started the report and looked up and stopped short. I just realized that all 3 of the men had seen me naked during my surgery. It was my anesthesia attending (in the SICU-they lead the critical care team), anesthesia resident, and the ortho resident that did my case!!! This is on top of the fact that my surgeon knew me personally b/c I was dating one of his athletic trainers at the time! YIKES!

Anyway, all that to say I hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
(female)

soccerjc HB User

Haha, thanks, Hollywood! That story is great. Although I was afraid of the idea of having surgery, the part where I knew-what-was-going-to-happen-in-the-OR-once-I-was-under-anesthesia was even more intimidating. I did not request this at all, but the ortho attending had the red carpet rolled out--no residents or medical students would be in the OR, and I was first in almost every line. I sorta felt like I did not have a right to refuse the education for others in this procedure since I had been in that role before, but also didn't complain. In retrospect I am happy that none of my friends/co-workers saw me naked. I also was allowed to wear this mesh underwear and avoided a folly--something that I had been worried about for weeks leading up to this.

There actually was a little change in my recovery too. When I went back two weeks after for my cast to be changed, it was decided that since the surgeon "trusted" me to be compliant and knew the anatomy of one's ankle well, that I could get a boot instead of a cast. I had strict instructions not to invert or pointerflex my ankle, but have permission to take it off for showers and work on passive range of motion. I was soooo excited when this happened. It should not affect long term recovery so much, but I will be able to bear weight and start physical therapy sooner this way. I guess newer research shows the outcome using this is comparable to a hard cast for 6 weeks.

The pain at this point is pretty uncomfortable, but also tolerable, especially if I keep distracted and keep the foot up. Frustrating to be so dependent on others and not to be back on the sports field. I actually had some of the trauma from soccer--first injured it 10 years ago playing this sport, but a lot of it has also been from rugby and gymnastics and even running at this point. I am hoping to start stationary biking in the boot in two weeks from now.

I actually went into work this past week a few times, but not to see patients and part of this was due to my having to be there anyway for appointments. I am going to be part time this coming week (3 weeks post-op) out of bordum, but don't think I could do full days. I would imagine that being in the SICU would be a lot more "intensive" than what I do (psychiatry) and I have already been moved to a rotation where I won't be up and about as much. The hardest part for me will be getting dressed and getting to the hospital on crutches vs. a foot powered scooter.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
(female)

soccerjc HB User

Just wanted a further update--I found what I read on the internet more helpful even then what the doc has said, but...

I am 3 months out. My cast got removed at 2 weeks and I got a boot instead and was actually given permission to start to weightbare at 4 weeks and start PT. I misinterpreted this to mean I could start this all in one day when it was suppose to be gradual, but no harm was done aside from my walking much sooner. Was also told I could bike and elliptical as tolerated, which I also started that day.

At 6 weeks I could go in a brace "as tolerable" but "as tolerable" meant I completely ditched the boot. Ortho basically said "go nuts," but don't pivot and I started jogging shortly after this (until PT told me that was not part of the protocal and I stopped for a few days).

Now I am running and PT has officially signed off. Ortho (who origionally said it would be 6 months to a year before I am playing sports) said its ok to go back all out next month if I can do it and to really test it this month, but be careful. I was even kicking a ball around last weekend.

I guess I am aware that I had surgery, but pain is not a problem at all. ROM less then before and still coming back, but that's the only real annoyance at this point.

Overall, not bad--just hope all is good when im back to competative sports.

Closed Thread