It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

Mandy50 HB User
9 weeks post-op and in a boot at last

Hi Sarah, Mary, Sportgirl, and everyone,

I finally got the "go" to be in an aircast boot and start pwb using crutches. It has been three days now and I needed to be back on tramadol (half in the morning and half at night) because of the pain in the heel and all around. Each day gets better. The x-rays showed healing of the bone graft, with fuzziness all around the borders of the graft. The doctor wants me to continue using the bone stimulator. I also begin PT today.

Sarah, thanks for all the information in your post. I'm wearing a New Balance with an attachment to the sole that brings the height of the good foot to a level matching (close enough) the aircast boot. It's really great because my back is not suffering, nor my hips, or knees which I was worried about with the higher boot. The attachment is called EvenUp and it fits the entire sole of the shoe. The doctor's office provided this.

I try to extend and flex the foot everyday to bring better ROM. It's really tight, especially in the achilles where I had the lengthening. I'm hoping for additional exercises for home from the physical therapist today. I spent a long while cleaning off the dead skin. It seemed endless. I will also try the compression sock. I am currently wearing an ace bandage inside the boot.

I have ditched the knee scooter but still use the office chair with rollers to do stuff in the kitchen, or carrying things. Sometimes, I can use just the one crutch (on the good side) which frees one hand. Last night I slept upstairs for the first time since surgery. I climbed the stairs holding on to the bannister for support. I go down the stairs the same way, but use one hand on the wall as well.

Sarah, to answer your question about my other foot, I have been receiving Shockwave treatments on that foot to bring blood flow to the heel, PTT, and achilles and this has helped a lot. I wear a custom made orthodic insert which really helps.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. The information has helped me enormously throughout this process. I have a long way to go, and each day brings new challenges. I'm so glad to be moving forward at last. The nwb for nine weeks was taking a toll on the rest of my body and affecting my mood. Good luck to everyone!

P.S. My surgery: achilles lengthening, Evans osteotomy, evaluate the PTT and a transfer was not necessary, but bone spurs and leftover sutures were removed from a previous surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

midwestmary HB User
Re: 9 weeks post-op and in a boot at last

Yay! Mandy!

Welcome to the world of air cast boots! Any progress is so encouraging and I'm glad you are now in the next phase of the healing process. I think you'll find the going to get easier each week.

I feel I have really benefited from PT - I'd be interested to know what types of things you will be doing - did they send you home with exercises? I have found it encouraging as each Friday for the past six weeks to see how much stronger I am getting - the PT sessions are a great way to mark progress.

My next Dr. appointment is tomorrow - and hopefully I'll be on to the next phase which is a lace up ankle brace and back into shoes...shoes! It will be weird to have "matching" feet again

Take care, Mandy,,,,keep looking up - before you know it you'l be walking around with "matching" feet too!

Mary

Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate all your encouragement and optimism. I am happy to be in a boot, on my feet, and meeting new challenges. My first PT session was gentle, with a lot of massaging and some exercises to do at home. My tendons are soooo tight, but I do the flex and extend, stretching with a towel, and rocking the foot on the floor. Now that I'm on my feet more, the swelling increases with some discomfort but I think it's normal.

Good luck with the ankle brace. Hope you get the good news you want, and are able to wear shoes. What a concept, shoes! What exercises do you do at home?

All the best to you, Mary! Please keep posting so we know about your progress. It is so comforting to have supportive pals on this board. Mandy

Old 05-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

linweid HB User

Hi Mandy50 and Midwestmary

I'm interested in knowing what your foot surgery was for, because I have Plantar faciitis for at least 10 years and it's getting progressively worse each day. I knew for years already that if all other treatments fail, then I am in the small percentage of those who need surgery. June 14th is my surgery date. I didn't sign any papers yet though. I see my Podiatrist (who I've had for more than 10 years) again next week and he will explain just exactly what he will do (we only touched on that so far, I finally told myself I need it done and that's that) Now I'm getting curious. He mentioned cutting the heel, cutting a small portion of the facia, wearing a boot which will then be replaced with a smaller boot which I can wear to the swimming pool?? Does any of this surgery sound like what either of you went through?

Linda

Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hi Mandy, How's it going with your foot? What's the latest progress? I just started walking without crutches in a regular shoe. It's nice to be able to carry things again!
Sarahluke

Closed Thread