It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Pantalar Fusion

Hello,

Has anyone out there had a pantalar fusion (staged or otherwise)?

In case you are familiar with the term - a pantalar fusion is a fusion of the tibiotalar (ankle) joint, subtalar joint, talonavicular joint, and calcaneocuboid joint.

I have had my ankle and subtalar joint fused already due to post traumatic arthritis, but am now experiencing serious pain in the talonavicular and calcaneocuboid joints. It is effecting my daily life. I have dealt with this chronic pain about as long as I believe I can tolerate. I just want my active life back. Right now, I can work, but after my shift I just go home and put my foot up. I have a very low quality of life.

We are currently trying conservative methods - orthotics, nsaids, injections. I truly hope a combination of them will do the trick. However, it never hurts to know what the next still would be like if we have to go down the route of more fusions.

Feel free to weigh in with suggestions, advice or personal stories you think might help even if you have not had a pantalar fusion.

Thanks!
Step

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stepbystep89 For This Useful Post:
Angella Grant (06-13-2012), ClaudiaJane (08-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Pantalar Fusion

I just got to thinking - the number of pantalar fusions is probably pretty small. I don't believe many people have to have them.

Maybe someone out there has had a triple arthrodesis - st, tn, cc joints or even a double - tn and cc - and could share a little info about the surgery, recovery, post op pain, etc....

Just looking for a little info to ease my worried mind. I had a couple of injections recently that don't seem to be giving me as much relief as I had hoped for. The weather is beautiful and I just want to get out and enjoy it. Instead I am stuck at home on the couch.

Any help/advice/info you can provide will be appreciated!

Step

The Following User Says Thank You to stepbystep89 For This Useful Post:
ClaudiaJane (08-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
(male)

rod885 HB User

I had a pantalar fusion about 5 years ago and am getting around just fine now. I work in a physically demanding job and walk a few miles in a day. I did have pain for a long time in the front of my foot because that is where all the pressure is put now. I did where rocker bottom shoes that were made for me and they helped some. I just recently started wearing the new sketcher shape up shoes and they have been a god send for me. I have no more pain in the front of my foot from walking. I have also used the therashoe and they work equally as well. Hang in there it will get better.

The Following User Says Thank You to rod885 For This Useful Post:
ClaudiaJane (08-28-2012)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

SASSOON1 HB User
Post Re: Pantalar Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone out there had a pantalar fusion (staged or otherwise)?

In case you are familiar with the term - a pantalar fusion is a fusion of the tibiotalar (ankle) joint, subtalar joint, talonavicular joint, and calcaneocuboid joint.

I have had my ankle and subtalar joint fused already due to post traumatic arthritis, but am now experiencing serious pain in the talonavicular and calcaneocuboid joints. It is effecting my daily life. I have dealt with this chronic pain about as long as I believe I can tolerate. I just want my active life back. Right now, I can work, but after my shift I just go home and put my foot up. I have a very low quality of life.

We are currently trying conservative methods - orthotics, nsaids, injections. I truly hope a combination of them will do the trick. However, it never hurts to know what the next still would be like if we have to go down the route of more fusions.

Feel free to weigh in with suggestions, advice or personal stories you think might help even if you have not had a pantalar fusion.

Thanks!
Step
I had it done just 8 weeks ago and I am a bit struggling. Wonder if you also have difficulties in how to walk.Any suggestions for me? It is painful to walk but I guess that is normal just shortly after the surgery.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
(male)

rod885 HB User

I was twelve weeks non weight bearing after the surgery then they put me in a walking cast or cam rocker. I wore the walking cast for another six weeks.
When I tried to walk with out the cast it was very painful on the front of my foot for about six months. The pain slowly went away. I also had a lot of swelling around my ankle and my leg. In total it took me about a year and a half to walk with no pain and a almost regular gait with my shoes on. Without shoes i still have a problem walking normally it seems i have to turn my foot to the side to walk because it is so stiff. The sketcher shape ups made a huge difference for me because of the rocker bottom on them. Hang in there it is still very early for you. I wondered if i would ever be able to walk normally again and with out pain. It did come it just takes a while for your body to adjust. all the best to you I hope this helped. let me know if you have any questions. Keep that leg elevated as much as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to rod885 For This Useful Post:
ClaudiaJane (08-28-2012)
Closed Thread