It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

1pete HB User
Orthopedic shoes-can they help with the discomfort?

Does anyone have any ideas as to best footwear as you wean off a boot after a foot fracture? I am just a week into walking w/o the crutches, and am having pain with the boot after a period of wearing it, then pain and sweling with regular shoes. Are orthopedic shoes worth the cost? And what does one look for? It's hot this spring, and that seems to worsen the swelling-pain-tired foot problem.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Orthopedic shoes-can they help with the discomfort?

Are you supposed to be in regular shoes? If so, I suggest something sturdy and snug fitting that's easy to get into. Like a Merrell Primo Breeze...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I second the vote for Merrells. They have some clogs (Mocs) that have no backs, and are easy to get into.

Would your foot be able to tolerate the structure of a Birkenstock sandal?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

1pete HB User

Appreciate the Merrell suggestion very much! Yes, my orthopedist has moved me into a regular shoe, and suggests a New Balance cross-trainer type...I tried, they seem binding and hot. I'm afraid nothing is comfortable for very long as I get back in shape for an active life...moving around my preschool classroom, taking my dogs out for a brief walk etc. I think things are going well...8 wks of non-use and a fracture do take a toll...still must take things progressively. Thanks again...will try and keep trying!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
(female)

4jinxie HB User

1Pete~

Hi! I'm glad to see you are in shoes, again. Sounds like your fractures have been healing nicely. After 11 weeks, the doc told me he's comfortable with me wearing shoes. I'm terrified! He showed me the x-ray and I still see the fracture as half to 3/4 healed (fused back together) but still see a portion of the fracture as non-union. I'm using the bone stimulator everyday, taking my calcium and resting as I can. He said, no running, basketball or ballet for me. Well, my only concern is walking right now. Put on my New Balance slides and tried walking...I can't come to terms walking on the foot...still walking on the inside.
Actually, it feels like I have a bump under my foot. I think the muscles surrounding the bone are atrophied and need stretching out. Has P/T been subscribed to you?
My other concern is work. I tend to shift a lot during work, sometime on the fly, and am really scared that I'll step wrong. Exactly, how strong is the bone at this point? Given my age (41), I wouldn't think it's as strong as someone in their 20's or 30's. I would like to get back too full work days but don't want to do more harm than good. When will I know that my foot has had enough for the day? I'm almost tempted to wear the boot during work still...it's a pain but feels safer. What to do...what to do...

Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
(female)

1pete HB User

Hi I hope things are heading in the right direction for your foot health. And, thank goodness, yes, girl I am ALMOST completely back to "normal". Still sore at times...first thing in the morning, after a hard day at work, and lot's in between. But I am in regular shoes, and have even run a few steps. I don't see doc until May 14. Had to cancel my end of April appt. Hoping she will turn me lose! I am not sure about PT. Sounds as if you will benefit from as well. I have looked at my x-rays and realize that where the new bone is filling in seems kind of lumpy...not the shape of the original bone at all, and that I can feel the hard rise and bump there, especially if there is any swelling. It is very obvious. Do you think that is what you are feeling? the new bone growth isn't quite the same shape or whatever as the old? I surely hope your efforts pay off. You have been at it a long time...I believe you are almost home free. I know it ain't easy!! Let me knoe what's happening.

Closed Thread