It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
(male)

horsebite HB User
Question about pain after peroneal repair

Last Tuesday the 13th, I had peroneal tendon repair, ankle scope and a brostrom procedure to fix my ligament.

I am still in quite a bit of pain, at some times unbearable. They gave me a script for 60 percocet, and I have been taking 2 almost every 4 hours for pain and am almost out of them. I've tried skipping doses but I really pay for it with severe pain, especially at night. I've skipped my overnight dose and wake up in the morning with severe pain. Is this pain normal? I'm worried about the pain! Do you think the doctor will refill my script if I call and tell them about the pain?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Question about pain after peroneal repair

YOu have to remember that you had quite a bit of work done on your ankle. You aren't even a week out yet.

I'd call your dr. about 24 hrs before you run out of your meds. I think many make you wait 24 hrs for that type of prescription. You could even call your dr. to tell them about the pain now too, so they have the heads up. I bet you will find though that in the next few days the pain will dramatically start to decrease.

The key is RICEing it. Keep that leg up at all times. It will throb like the dickens if you keep your foot down at all. Ice it even through the cast. Put lots of pillows under it and adjust your position every so often so pressure isn't always on one spot.

It does get better. I'm glad you posted though. I wondered how your surgery went.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
(male)

horsebite HB User

Thanks for the reply, Kris! I will give them a call today and let them know.

I hope this pain does start to go away this week. I've had my foot propped up on four pillows all week, only getting up to crutch-it to the bathroom and back. I have not iced it, as the Doctor said the splint/cast I have is so thick it wouldn't do anything, but I will take your advice and do it anyway...can't hurt anything!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

ahodous HB User

Horsebite,
Glad to hear your surgery went well. Kris is right you had a lot of work done and there will be a lot of pain but it does get better.

I found that the large ice/heat gel type of ice packs get the coldest and get threw the cast. I even have a few that have a large elastic band to wrap around the pack so it stays nice and close to the dressing. My surgical dressing was over 21inches around the ankle and the pack still was able to penetrate an help with the swelling.

Best of luck in recovery!
Angela

Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
(male)

horsebite HB User

Tried to ice it today with an ice pack, I have a surgical splint made of plastic under a bunch of bandages and wrapping and it wasn't getting through the plastic at all! Left it on for a couple of hours, but oh well! Worth a try! Doctor did refill my prescription today so I am glad I'll be able to deal with the pain until it gets better.

Thanks for the support!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebite View Post
Last Tuesday the 13th, I had peroneal tendon repair, ankle scope and a brostrom procedure to fix my ligament.

I am still in quite a bit of pain, at some times unbearable. They gave me a script for 60 percocet, and I have been taking 2 almost every 4 hours for pain and am almost out of them. I've tried skipping doses but I really pay for it with severe pain, especially at night. I've skipped my overnight dose and wake up in the morning with severe pain. Is this pain normal? I'm worried about the pain! Do you think the doctor will refill my script if I call and tell them about the pain?
I needed the stronger pain meds for at least three weeks before tapering down to a milder one. Your doctor should have no problem refilling your script. At this point I wouldn't even try to skip doses. Once you get "behind' the pain it's hard to get it back under control. Also, I don't know why, but if you put the ice behind your knee it helps the foot.

Hope you get some relief soon.

emmie

Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
(male)

horsebite HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
I needed the stronger pain meds for at least three weeks before tapering down to a milder one. Your doctor should have no problem refilling your script. At this point I wouldn't even try to skip doses. Once you get "behind' the pain it's hard to get it back under control. Also, I don't know why, but if you put the ice behind your knee it helps the foot.

Hope you get some relief soon.

emmie
Thanks for the info, emmie. I will try the ice pack under my knee!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I hope Emmie's trick works for you. It's good to hear you didn't have any problems getting a refill from your dr. THings should starting to feel better soon.

Keep it elevated!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

Nanasdarlins HB User

I am having peroneal repair surgery on the July 23 and after reading about the pain and all I am pretty scared. I am a slighty overweight grandma the most exercise I get is chasing my grandkids whom I love more than life. Yes I spoil them rotten. Any way I am worried about getting around and the pain. Will I be able to walk on the cast right after surgery? What does non weight bearing mean?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
(female)

ahodous HB User

Nanasdarlins,
I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming surgery.

After my peroneal repair I was non weightbearing for six weeks. Nonweight bearing means that you will not be able to walk oir put any weight on the foot until your OS says its okay to begin putting weight back on it. I used a knee walker with this surgery and it really helped me get around better than the crutches did at times.

Most doctors are pretty good in getting the correct pain medicine and while I'm not going to say it never hurt the pain was manageable. The first two weeks were the worst I believe. The best thing to do is make sure you keep it elevated, ice it and stay up on your pain meds.

Good Luck

Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

I was able to bear weight after the splint came off and was in the walking boot- that was about two weeks after the surgery. It took about another week to full bear weight. The pain was not that bad, keep up with the medicine and the icing and you will do fine.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
(female)

rugriok HB User

Hi,
I cannot believe that I have gone 6 weeks without finding this site!!!

On Aug 19 I had lateral ligament repair and brevis tendon repair....to-day I went to OS and he told me to start wb.....my foot is killing me. I still have my boot and my walker/crutches and I can only put 10% on it....I thought this part would be better but I have a feeling that my recovery has been jammy up until now.
I have a numb leg on the outside upper thigh and I am getting shocks on my shins. My ankle is very swollen and all kinds of purple shades. I am thinking it is nerves freaking out. But I am not sure.
I can start pt asap but my appointment is next Thursday.
Can anyone shed some light on this....is this just part of the wb?

Horsebite, if I can shed any light on your repair up to 6 weeks let me know......I am not at all a doctor but I can speak from experience!!
I had terrible pain at night and still wake up worse than I went to bed....drugs are great aren't they!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
(female)

ahodous HB User

Rugriok,
Glad to hear your 6 weeks of NWB are up. A lot of what your experiencing is the joys of learning to walk again. For the last six week you have not used those muscles and tendons so its going to take them sometime to retrain themselves. As you get into pt it will get better. I remember almost being in tears when I started walking after both my surgeries. Take your time an remember to rest, elevate and ice.

Best of luck in the rest of your recovery!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #14
(female)

rugriok HB User

Thank you for your reply Adohous!

What did you have done? How long ago? How is your recovery?
The OS is kind of matter of factly when it comes to the operation....You will be in a cast for this long....a brace for this long....etc. Yesterday when I saw him he said "Great no infection, seems tight, start pt, come back in 6 weeks.
This morning the swelling is down a bit...it really did not like all that activity yesterday I suppose. He is 2 hours away from me and that is quite a car ride.
Thank you for your input....It is nice to have someone that has been there.....Elevated and Ice.....my two favourite things!!
Have a footabulous day!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
(female)

ahodous HB User

In April 09 I had a peroneal tear repaired and microfacture on a OCD at that same time. In May 10 I had the Oats procedure on the OCD. They both left me NWB for 6 weeks plus. I think learning to walk after the OATS was much worse than the peroneal recovery.

Pt will show you some stretches and exercises to help loosen it up and to start building its strength back up. I still after being almost 5 months post op I still need to do the stretching to help out the tendons.

Good luck!

Closed Thread