It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

mchast6755 HB User
Unhappy with Heel Surgery

I am very unhappy with the results of heel surgery 12/9/09. I cut my left heel under the outer ankle on a wine glass 7/24/09. I had stitches, and assurance from a pod that in 3 mos. I would not EVEN KNOW IT HAPPENED.

Not. Three months later, after trying to massage away a BONE GROWTH, having been misled into believing it was scar tissue, I was told had an abnormal bone growth there. The pod wanted to slice it off, making it sound like candy. I went to a board cert. ortho instead, who attempted to find out why. No one ever knew why this happened, after MRI, nuclear bone scan, and biopsy; a PT eventually surmised the glass had cut deep enough to disturb the outer layer of heel bone, leading to the growth.

It is over four months, and I am extremely unhappy with the results, after my January complaints, I was sent to PT for a month. The PT said, along with the doc and the PA, nothing wrong with heel after surgery. Perfect. Now after the the PT prescription ended, I started with a massage therapist, who thought I had adhesions (the PT didn't). She is doing a good job, but the problem is in the bone, I think.

The edge of my left heel bone under the ankle now protrudes, in a place the surgery never occurred. I was just jollied by the PT and the PA, that of course both feet were not the same. But it protrudes into my shoe. Plus the heel bone looks dented where the growth was evidently scraped off, so I have a protrusion and next to it, a dent. Plus I have lingering numbness in my left big toe, but I think that may be from compressed nerve from all the bandages and casts I have worn.

There's no scar to speak of, I've been wearing silicon scar gel tape for 12 weeks, the maximum use. I've done all this PT and massage therapy, but after four months, I think the problem is the protruding edge of my heel bone--there is a similar area on my undamaged right heel, but it is smooth, it doesn't protrude like the damaged heel. I have no idea what the surgeon did to get my heel bone to protrude like that, it didn't before, despite what they all tell me.

I'm going for a consultation with another foot surgeon, just to have someone tell me the truth. What else can I do?

What happened to me was so unusal that I don't think anyone else could have had such a weird experience, do you?

The following user gives a hug of support to mchast6755:
deborahrgoldman (03-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread