It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

4jinxie HB User
Returning to walking after 5th Metatarsal mid shaft break

After 11 weeks in a walking boot, my doc said he feels comfortable with me returning to shoes. The fracture is still healing...about 3/4 done. I'm using a bone stimulator as my fracture was a complete spiral break. I didn't admit to him that I'm afraid of wearing shoes. At this point, it's been a comfort knowing the bone is protected and healing. But, I'm sick of wearing the boot. It interferes with my work and life (as it's meant to do) but I've come along way with the healing. I don't want to take the chance of stepping wrong (in shoes) and re-injuring the bone. I have 2 kids (7&4) that keep me moving, play sports, work P/T at a coffee house and volunteer in both my children's schools. My husband told me just to wear it when I know I'll be on my feet for a period of time.

How strong is the bone at this point? From the lateral and oblique view, you can still see the break. Looks good from above, though. I trust him as my family physician told me it would be 6-8 weeks and back to normal activity...not the case, at all! But there's still that doubt in my mind...even though my podiatrist has been in practice 30 years and sounds very optimistic about my progress. His only advise at this point is no jumping, running or anything of the sort. Anyone give me incite on the strength of bones at this point? I should say that I'm 41, in good health and take calcium supplements for bones.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

4jinxie HB User
Re: Returning to walking after 5th Metatarsal mid shaft break

anyone have incite in this...bump

Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

It is natural for you to be cautious at this point. Take it slow. I fractured my 5th met. about 3 weeks ago and can't wait to get out of this boot.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would take it very slowly = esp since it sounds like you didn't have surgery. Everyone I know that has had a spiral break has had surgery and pins. So that's my only experience...

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I had a spiral mid shaft break and it was 17 weeks before I was back in a shoe. I tried at 12 weeks but had the cast put back on. This is a difficult fracture to heal. Take it slowly.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
(female)

4jinxie HB User

My was non-displaced so no surgery. I can see how this is going to be a long healing. I'm just going to put my boot back on and take it easy. Really need to have this healed by the summer so it's worth the wait.

Closed Thread