It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
outer edge foot pain

For about three weeks, I have been suffering an aching pain all along the outer edge of my left foot. The pain is more of a nuisance when I'm resting or in bed but it doesnt affect walking or treadmill exercise. It doesn't seem to get any better with ibuprofen tablets or gel applied locally. I am assuming it is some form of arthritis but I don't have any other signs. It hurts to touch or if I tip my foot over that way while sitting down.
I guess I should talk to the doctor but I know he will just send me for an x-ray.
Any ideas?

Last edited by TopGeek; 04-30-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to TopGeek For This Useful Post:
kcdd95 (01-30-2012)
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

Poma225 HB User
Re: outer edge foot pain

I to am experiencing outer edge foot pain... outer knee hurts too and it goes up to the hip. I'm thinking its sciatica nerve pain - but i could be wrong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for your response. I would agree in your case that it could well be sciatica as that is known to extend from the hip right down to the foot. My pain is confined to the foot and it has an arthritic ache to it.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you could have bone spurs in your foot....

Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I have also experienced pain on the outside of my foot. You may try doing some research on lateral column pain. The fact that you describe the pain as an ache leads me to believe you are not experiencing nerve pain which is most often described as shooting pain (like an electrical current) or a stabbing pain (like someone is stabbing the area with a very sharp knife).

So if it isn't nerve pain what could it be? Well, you could have some tendinitis in the peroneal tendons - they run behind the outside ankle bone and down the outer edge of your foot and then cross under the bottom of it. You may also have some type of stress injury like a stress fracture from repeated stress to a bone like the 5th metatarsal. The other possibility would be arthritis developing in any of the several joints that are on the outside of your foot. Tendonitis and arthritis are usually very achey. Tendonitis is more likely than arthritis to be tender to the touch. If you have a stress fracture from repeated trauma to a bone it would be very difficult to stand or walk. Taking all of this information into consideration I am guessing you either have tendonitis or possibly arthritis.

I have had problems with my peroneal tendons - the dr prescribed anti inflammatory gel (which you have tried) and physical therapy (to use ultra sound and steroid gel treatment). It was relieved once I did PT and started wearing better shoes. I also have arthritis in several joints in my foot - my os has prescribed all sorts of conservative methods - nsaids, rocker soled shoes, orthotics, pain medication, physical therapy, injections, and I have even gone as far as fusing my ankle and subtalar joints.

I would suggest you make an appt with your primary physician and see what they say. If the pain is effecting your daily life or impairing your activities you may want to talk to your dr about seeing a podiatrist or board certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine/foot and ankle.

You can also look up lateral column pain, so you can learn more about the anatomy and biomechanics of the foot.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Amy

Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for your detailed response Amy. I will try the AI gel on the calf; it certainly doesn't help when only applied to the foot but I do also get aching calfs. It's not bad enough to affect my walking ability. Indeed I do at least 15 minutes on the treadmill nearly every day without any apparent aggravation of the pain.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'd make an appointment with the podiatrist, skip the family doctor....
the podiatrist can give you some orthotics, custom or better ones than you'd buy in the store.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've used the gel on the outer calf the last few days and the ache has reduced a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Closed Thread