It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

mozrocks13 HB User
Plantar Plate Tear Surgery Questions

I was diagnosed with a plantar plate tear (pain in the ball of my foot under the 2nd toe) I injured it running a marathon, and had surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City to repair it.

The surgery consisted of plantar plate repair (stitched up the plantar plate ligament) which is 2nd metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty. I also had 2nd metatarsal shortening osteotomy (3MM) making my 2nd toe shorter to take the pressure away from under the 2nd toe on the ball of my foot so the tear would heal, and 2nd web space neuroplasty.

The recovery time is 4 - 6 months wearing sneakers with limited activity no running or high impact anything and I would be 80% better. After 5 1/2 months I do not feel any relief and still have pain in the ball of my foot. This surgery ususally works for most but I was told sometimes it does not and unfortunatley it did not work for me. I am very upset about this

I am now exploring other alternatives with my doc to see what the next step would be to lessen my pain. He said it might be a nerve or the joint that is still giving me pain. There is a diagnostic test using a novacaine shot to determine what that might be. We are going to try some conservative treatments like altering my sneakers to lessen the pain to see how that works for a few weeks and if that doesn't work then do the diagnostic test.

I just had an ultrasound and the radiologist said he saw a bone spur. Not sure if that is giving me the pain or not. I am going to hear from my doc next week to see what he says after reading the report.

Does anyone have any similar type of experience I had? Has anyone had surgery to repair the plantar plate? Was it successful? Can anyone offer any advice on what my next step would be?

Any advice you can give would be most helpful. I just want to be pain free and get my life back!! Thanks to all in advance for your help. Please advise. I appreciate it in advance

Last edited by mozrocks13; 05-22-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread