It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

cme1017 HB User
Balance problems post surgery

Last August I had 4 surgeries on my right foot, including bunion surgery, and all were unsuccessful. I had (and still do) a very painful neuroma on my right foot and initially had one surgery that was not successful, and the dr thought the bunion might be the underlying cause (the bunion has never caused me any pain) and suggested the bunion surgery. During the bunion surgery the dr also shortened my 2nd toe, and also supposedly removed the neuroma. Either the neuroma has already grown back or the dr didn't remove it. Plus the bunion has also returned, but this doesn't cause any pain. I am taking NSAIDs (Napralen 750mg) for the neuroma pain. However, ever since the surgery I have had problems with balance and I believe it is because my toes on my right foot are numb due to the surgeries (I was told beforehand that I would have numbness). The dr suggested physical therapy for my balance issues, but I can't afford that. Plus I believe the balance problem is because of the numbness. The balance problem is not horrible, but I do walk into things more, and have trouble putting shoes and socks on. Does anyone know of exercises I can do that can help this problem?

Thanks, Claudia

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
(female)

eyelure HB User
Re: Balance problems post surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme1017 View Post
Last August I had 4 surgeries on my right foot, including bunion surgery, and all were unsuccessful. I had (and still do) a very painful neuroma on my right foot and initially had one surgery that was not successful, and the dr thought the bunion might be the underlying cause (the bunion has never caused me any pain) and suggested the bunion surgery. During the bunion surgery the dr also shortened my 2nd toe, and also supposedly removed the neuroma. Either the neuroma has already grown back or the dr didn't remove it. Plus the bunion has also returned, but this doesn't cause any pain. I am taking NSAIDs (Napralen 750mg) for the neuroma pain. However, ever since the surgery I have had problems with balance and I believe it is because my toes on my right foot are numb due to the surgeries (I was told beforehand that I would have numbness). The dr suggested physical therapy for my balance issues, but I can't afford that. Plus I believe the balance problem is because of the numbness. The balance problem is not horrible, but I do walk into things more, and have trouble putting shoes and socks on. Does anyone know of exercises I can do that can help this problem?

Thanks, Claudia
Hiya..i had bilateral bunion surgery around 6 weeks ago. I have ben told i can wear normal shoes but im still in my surgical shoes. Im having problems with balance and i have been told to go to physio. I am experiencing pins and needles. I find massaging the foot around the scar really helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread