It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

gblauer HB User
Failed double cheilectomy update

Ok, I had cheilectomies performed in November 2009 and I am still in a great deal of pain and can no longer wear shoes.

On April 28th I had an MRI and apparently I have arthritis in between my sesamoid bone and my first metatarsal in both feet. According to my latest doctor I can try orthotics with a "nest" for my sesamoid bones or he can remove the sesamoid bone all together. I am reticent to go through two more surgeries, given that the first two were complete failures and have only added to my discomfort.

Anybody out there with this issue? How did you overcome the pain etc? Just as a reminder, I am 52, Female, nationally competitive rock climber, extremely active and now incredibly depressed, angry and immobile.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Failed double cheilectomy update

Sesamoid removal is very tricky. I'd be more inclined towards fusion, if it was me. I'm not nationally competitive as a jogger but I usually win my age group locally in 5Ks. Who's your doctor?

Last edited by Titchou; 05-13-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

gblauer HB User

Well, I have seen several Doctors. The doctor who performed the surgery and is based in Philadelphia is Dr. Keith Wapner. I am open to suggestions, as I can fly anywhere for an opinion.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mark Myerson in Baltimore is supposed to be excellent. Has operated on several Ravens and other pro players. Is your doc the one for the Sixers or the Eagles? If not, I'd find out who is and try them. Also, a Dr. Eliott at the Hospital for Special Surgeries in NYC also has an excellent rep.

I used John Gould here in Birmingham, AL. He used to be with Andrews and Lemak who do tons of pros and wealthy folks.

In other words, you need a sports med ortho who does only feet.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-14-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread