It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
How long recovery after big toe fusion?

Hi I had my 1st MTP joint fused on January 25. 6 weeks in cast and 5 in boot. I am still having pain. OS says x-rays are good and is happy with the healing. I last saw him on May 6. I called the office because I am concerned about the still having pain; particularly in the sesmoid area where I had it before surgery. They are telling me nothing is mechanically wrong and it will take time. I still feel I should be better than this by now. Any inputs from anyone?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: How long recovery after big toe fusion?

hi, how much pain are you in-the same as before the surgery? i remember having pain for quite sometime. could it be the shoes you are wearing or is the pain there all the time? remember you are still swollen. i think by the 6 month mark you should be feeling better. at least the xray came out good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

It scares me because I feel this is the same pain I had before surgery; in the sesmoid area. The opinions I had told me that the fusion would take care of this pain. Why is it still there? I feel no better, still pain with walking and standing. Plus, now I am limping because the joint doesn't move. Really concerned that something is wrong. I want my life back; all I do is sit. Can you tell me what kind of shoe you wear wearing? I am wearing either New Balance walking shoes or Reebok trainers (all tie shoes). I just don't get what is wrong.

Last edited by Chubstercat; 05-17-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added sentence

Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am really baffled. are you sure the shoes are wide enough? i had to buy wide width. if that is not the case-can you go for a 2nd opinion. you should not be sitting all the time and limping is out of the question. i dont know if i trust your dr. i so know how frustrating this is, but you have to do something about it. i know its early after surgery, but a cat scan would show everything. i hope you consider that. i was out looking for shoes today and came back crying, but i know with my gym shoes at least i dont feel any pain. you have to get your life back. let me know whats happening in terms of doctors and a cat scan. hang in there, debbie

Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Yes, I am wearing a Wide width. Something just doesn't seem right to me. I feel I should be much better than this. How can I be overdoing something when I sit as much as I can. It's not like I am out walking at the mall all day. I have an appointment to see the OS who did the surgery on June 1. He is leaving the area the end of June!! I also made an appointment with a podiatrist here in town that I saw about a year ago when I had pain from the first surgery who recommended fusion. Yes, I need my life back. I am so depressed. I can't stop thinking about my feet. I appreciate your help because you have been thru this. I wonder if it is not fused at the right angle and it is causing pain else where now? Believe me when I say, this is ruining my life.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

i think you should go to another surgeon. if you do get a cat scan, i would trust a surgeon vs a podiatrist. you should not be having all this pain. you have to act now to get this taken care of. i would not go back to your present surgeon. i dont know about the angle. keep thinking positive and i know how hard it is, but dont play the victim-you have to fight. love, debbie

Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Surgery was January 25th? So you are not even 4 months out yet. I would hold off on doing anything drastic at this point. Give it AT LEAST 6 months and the full swelling may not go away for a full year. I do not think you have given it enough time! Even Debbie would agree with that. I know it is hard but try to be patient...........

Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
Surgery was January 25th? So you are not even 4 months out yet. I would hold off on doing anything drastic at this point. Give it AT LEAST 6 months and the full swelling may not go away for a full year. I do not think you have given it enough time! Even Debbie would agree with that. I know it is hard but try to be patient...........
Thank you Debbie and Hopalong for the responses. I called an foot and ankle OS in Rochester, New York (a friend of mine had flat foot reconstruction by him; he was supposed to go to my doc but he was booked) and they said they usually wait 6 months after surgery to see someone. I am not 6 months out yet. What I am scared of is my doc is leaving the practice the end of June and moving back to Wisconsin (he has family out there). I am taking Motrin 200 milligram 3 times a day and elevating and icing when I can. I see my OS on 1 June and plan to drill him with questions. Hop - did you have a fusion as well? If so, what was your experience. This is my 2nd surgery on the same foot and the OS said it might take me a little longer to heal.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Chubster, will you be able to see the surgeon in Rochester after six months? It would be nice to have that option. At the same time though, maybe the six month mark will be the magic date, and you won't feel you need it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hi North, nice hearing from you. Well, I think on my last visit to my OS I will ask if I am not better to see the guy in Rochester. Hopefully, it will not come to that. They are telling me it is going to take time; especially since this is my 2nd surgery on the same foot.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi chub, maybe you should be wearing your boot instead of a shoe so you dont feel the pain. all i know is that after my fusion i was not allowed to wear a shoe for 16 weeks. maybe this was too soon for you. the shoe can be quite irratating so try the boot for a while. keep your dr appt and you will find another one when he leaves. i would start looking now. remember to keep on top of it. i do agree that 4 months is not a lot of time. 6 months should let you know. again dont be the victim-stay on top and do whatever it takes like wearing the boot. debbie

Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I am wearing tennis shoes. Do you remember the shoe you first went into after the boot?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubstercat View Post
Hi North, nice hearing from you. Well, I think on my last visit to my OS I will ask if I am not better to see the guy in Rochester. Hopefully, it will not come to that. They are telling me it is going to take time; especially since this is my 2nd surgery on the same foot.
Good luck. It is frustrating. I know I get a little frustrated that my foot is not perfect, and mine is in better shape than yours I believe. It does take time.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

the first shoe i went into was a boys gym shoe because they are xtra wide. i am just saying if the pain is that bad, put the boot back on because i think your foot may heal faster without any irritation. at least try and see what happens.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #15
(female)

Candyglen HB User

Hi Chubster. I had a left big toe fusion in Dec 09 and wore a boot for 6 weeks then moved into trainers. Toe x rayed in March and still a fair gap between bones but my surgeon unconcerned and said he would look at it again in 6 months! I had a total hip replacement on right hip in March so was on crutches again for 6 weeks and foot felt fine. However as soon as I started walking with a stick to support right hip my foot started hurting again. Bit tricky when I've got a bad left foot and bad right hip - I feel like I'm on the deck of a ship some days, rolling from side to side!! A couple of days ago I put some cotton wool under toe as padding and it seems to help. I'm the impatient sort so I suppose I was looking for a quick recovery but it ain't gonna happen, so I guess I'm just going to be a spectator at the golf course this year. It's a sunny, warm day here in Scotland so life could be a lot worse.

Last edited by Candyglen; 05-22-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Closed Thread