HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Post flat foot surgery update and new stability (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/749516-post-flat-foot-surgery-update-new-stability.html)

sarahluke 05-17-2010 07:58 AM

Post flat foot surgery update and new stability

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to write an update on my progress after my Evan's procedure, gastroc release, and acc. navicular removal. I was going to get on here this morning and complain because mentally I am wiped out this morning but as I was cleaning the kitchen this morning I let my crutch drop and I started walking around without them!!!! I'm walking a little like Frankenstein but today is the first morning that I can walk without the crutches. I'm a little psyched and it came on a good day since as I said before I was originally going to get on here and complain and look for a few sympathetic friends on here.

A few days ago I was allowed to wear shoes and forgo the boot. Since then my foot has been in a lot more pain and it is swelling in new spots. Ice hasn't been giving the relief that it used to. I was expecting it and was told it was going to happen but to live it is a whole different thing. After 15 weeks it is hard... I KNOW there are a ton of you who are right there with me or who have been in my shoes. Thank God for you guys. I was mentally getting down on myself when my husband, who has been out of town for 3 days, came back last night and said, "Wow, you are really getting around a lot better since I left!" I was fixated on the greater pains and swelling but he had point.. I was up and moving.

On another note, I have been filled with wondering how people with good feet and alignment must feel (in their feet and legs). My surgery side feels like it is "in the right place." When I stand barefoot with equal weight on both feet I can really feel the difference side to side. I feel like my leg muscles on my surgery side don't have anymore bad stress on them. It feels so good to be standing on solid joints that let my leg function as it was intended. I intellectually know that when standing with my knee straight, it is suppose to be an effortless thing. I have never experienced that and didn't know how it would feel. Now I can feel it a little bit as I am strengthening. The stability and ease in that leg is leaving me overwhelmed with the thoughts of what the future may bring after I get the other foot done and am healed. To stand without any leg muscle stress is something I never fathomed and didn't know it would feel so good.

This post has taken a weird turn but I just had to share. Does it make sense? Is there anyone out there who knows what I am trying to describe?

kindercarol 05-19-2010 01:09 PM

Re: Post flat foot surgery update and new stability

Hi Sarah,

It reminds me of a dental bridge I had "installed" abut 3 years ago. For a [B][U]long time [/U][/B]I couldn't tolerate the strangeness of it. There was no line in the sand when I thought, I'm healed...just one day I noticed it wasn't feeling weird anymore.

That's the same way I gave up my cane. I just drifted away from grabbing it each time I stood up. It hurts, but it's bearable. A few weeks ago, I could not put full weight on my ankle at all. I'm believing that in a year (or two) I'll be able to have all the strength and endurance I've been missing since this physical break down.

Every once in a while now, I forget my bionic foot, and think YIKES, I'm really on the path to normal. However, at 4 months, I still have almost constant, pain, swelling, and soreness. Yet, I know it's improved from last month. It's good-it's bad-it's good-it's bad-it's good-it's bad...and on the cycle goes.

Glad your stability and strengthening are improving. Keep your energy focused on the fine feet you're preparing now, to carry you into the future.

Wishing everyone a not-too-swollen-day,
Carol :wave:

midwestmary 05-21-2010 01:08 PM

Hey - Sarah

Nice to hear from you (and Carol too) - I know what you mean about the strange feeling when standing on the newly reconstructed foot. I've also started wearing a custom orthotic on my other foot and that feels different too. I've noticed the large calluses on the back of both of my big toes have disappeared - as the pressure points in my feet have changed.

Since I also had a tendon transfer, my little toe just follows the pack now and feels really weird since there is no tendon connected to it. It is taking some getting used to - but no pain. Are you still in PT? I'm finished - but have found the balance exercises on the Wii Fit plus to be excellent PT...not to mention fun :dizzy:

Sounds like it is going well - its just a long process!

Take care,

Mary

sarahluke 05-22-2010 09:09 PM

Oooh, I like the idea of the Wii fit. I did that before my surgery and I have forgotten all about it. That is a great idea. As of today I am Frankenstein walking pretty well! I've been walking without my crutches around the house only but today I actually went to a STORE and walked from the car, through 4 isles, and back to the car without crutches!! I was pretty pleased with myself.

My big sticking point has been a sharp knee pain. My PT spent the last 2 sessions doing deep muscle/fascia release on my calf and it is excruciating. The burn shoots up through my knee and into my hamstring -- no fun. Today was the first day without the knee pain! It came back in the evening but that's OK; at least I know that with more muscle release it will be gone someday soon.

I have a prescription for one more month of PT twice a week. It has really helped but it is very expensive even at the 30% I am paying. This surgery overall has been VERY costly. I'd do it again in a heartbeat (and I will :)) but the invoices hurt when they keep pouring in.

kindercarol 05-23-2010 11:52 AM

Hello,
I am now at 18 weeks and am walking mostly without my cane everywhere. I remember someone on here saying that the swelling is a good sign of healing. I just wish it didn't hurt so much.

I'm very anxiuos to get to the 6 month mark. One of my doctors told me I would be cursing his name with every step I took for the first 6 months. So...by mid-July I figure the pain should have let up a lot.

I also have about 1 month of PT left. My PT just told me I can start going back to the gym. I love Zumba, and hope I can maybe "walk" through a class of that. I'm sure not ready to dance it up yet.

I wish our national health insurance would take care of all the bills. It shouldn't be so difficult for everyone to get the care they need. The Gulf of Mexico spill has me very intent upon developing all the clean sources of energy we have available. That shouldn't be so hard to afford either.

No more politics...Have a nice day.
Carol :wave: