It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

sheffield2140 HB User
Still having problems/pain three years after surgery for torn cartilage in ankle

I am an 18 year old female, and June 2010 will be three years since I have injured my ankle. I was playing church softball one night, and when I was running, I stopped to turn the other direction when my ankle turned.
I went to the doctor the next day and I found out that I had torn one of the ligaments in my ankle. I went through four months of physical therapy, and I had little/no change. I then was sent to an orthopedist who recommended an MRI. After that she said that I needed arthroscopic surgery.

At that time she didn't know I had torn cartilage, she actually thought something else was wrong. It wasn't until during the surgery that she found out that I had torn ligaments and torn cartilage. I went through many months of physical therapy to rehab it back. I even got back to playing tennis.

My problem is that even two-years plus after surgery, my ankle still hurts. My physical therapist recently diagnosed me as having arthritis starting to develop in it now. Now I am 18 years old and I am worried that as I get older the ankle problems and pain will only worsen. Is there anybody that can relate to me or help me? Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
(male)

Flaubert HB User
Re: Still having problems/pain three years after surgery for torn cartilage in ankle

I sprained my ankle last year, and after a lot of rest and six months of therapy I wasn't considerably better. My ankle was still swollen, I couldn't run, or jump, or walk for too long. The doctor said nothing was torn, but I wasn't happy. Then I went to the beach for one month, and started swimming with my bodyboard, kicking only with my "good" foot. Slowly, I started using more and more my injured foot, and after a month of catching waves and walking in the sand, I was completely healed.

I really don't what happened. The therapies didn't work and the doctor had said I could never skate again (I had sprained my ankle while skating). I considered it a miracle, because the last thing I was expecting was to be healed just by hanging around at the beach, just doing my stuff, without worrying about my ankle at all. Supernatural or not, it was still a blessing to have my ankle back after having been told it'd never be the same again.

Now, I have sprained my other ankle (doing the same thing), and after three months it hasn't gotten much better. I plan to hit the beach as soon as I have vacations, and see what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

sheffield2140 HB User
Re: Still having problems/pain three years after surgery for torn cartilage in ankle

When I first hurt mine, my physical therapist gave me numerous exercises to do in the pool, but they still didn't help. I even tried the kicking thing, but it hurt to do it and it didn't help.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

heidi35 HB User

I was too recently diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle after 3 surgeries for torn ligaments and tendon and one surgery to remove hardware! I am starting to think i will never walk pain free!! Where you given any answers to what to do about the arthritis? Will it get any worse or better? I still think there is something else going on with my ankle the Dr. is missing. It cracks constantly , tightens until I make it crack!
Hope you are pain free soon,
Heidi

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
(female)

sheffield2140 HB User

Heidi,

I really don't have any answers for you. I was just recently diagnosed (within the last two months) with arthritis in the ankle. I work at a pharmacy where I stand/walk all day and my ankle hurts every night when I get off. I am hoping that it will eventually get better, but from what I have been told/read, I doubt it will. From what I have been told, when you hurt your ankle like I did, it never goes back the way it was before the injury. I am going to college to be a nurse, and I am afraid that while I am a nurse, I am going to continue to have problems with it because of the constant standing/walking that you have to do. If it continues to give me problems, I will have to go back to my orthopedic surgeon to see what is going on and causing my pain/discomfort. If you find any answers please let me know as will I if I get any.

Thanks,

Sheffield2140

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
(male)

Flaubert HB User

sheffield2140, it doesn't matter if your sprain is mild or severe, if it doesn't heal properly, there's a chance it might never be the same again! Having a badly healed ankle is like leaving a door semi-open. It doesn't take much to open it, and even a little strength applied regularly can end up opening it completely again.

It's MUCH BETTER to take EXTRA measures to make sure that the door is COMPLETELY CLOSED. In my case, that meant spending a month in the beach, walking in the sand and swimming in the sea, doing my best NOT to overuse my injured ankle.

But the way I see it, better to invest a month of working time in my health than having to bear the consequences of not paying enough attention to it!

I'm curious to see how you're doing!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
(female)

sheffield2140 HB User

Flaubert,
Thanks for posting to the thread. I am actually doing so much better now! I very rarely have any pain or problems. I used to have plantar fasciitis, but as of about a month ago God completely healed it, and I haven't had that pain since. I am so thankful that I am better now.

The following user gives a hug of support to sheffield2140:
Flaubert (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
(male)

Flaubert HB User

Thank God! That is great news!

Closed Thread