It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

rightie102 HB User
9 Months Post Op Chevron/Bunion Surgery Questions

The first time I posted on here I was 6 weeks post op. Hard to imagine it's 9 months now. Yet, I still feel pain every day. Obviously it's nothing like the pain of 6 weeks. But still annoying. I thought I would be healed by now. I was told to expect 'up to 8 months' to be healed and have swelling go down.

What is reasonable to expect a complete recovery? I'd love to hear opinions or experiences of others who've had this. (Chevron, Right foot, Bunion surgery, one perm screw inside, no pins.) My doc said all I had to do was build back up to exercising as much as I used to and I'd be fine. And did not order PT.

I walk between 2-4 miles every single day (sometimes together, or more often broken in 2 walks) and it's not making the pain go away or seeming to build up the foot muscles to stop hurting. I don't let the pain stop me but I'm tired of feeling it with each step. The best way to describe it is I feel like I constantly have a sore muscle that won't heal from the bottom of the big toe thru the bottom of my foot where the bunion used to be. It also feels like the bones are 'crackly' when I move it around. The degree of flexibility also still seems very limited when you consider how active I am and how long it's been since surgery. That doesn't seem to progress much. It's also still swollen and I can see it's bigger when putting it side by side with my left foot which didn't have surgery.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

jpsumner HB User
Re: 9 Months Post Op Chevron/Bunion Surgery Questions

While I didn't have your type of bunion surgery (I had austin on my right foot back in February), I stll have some pain in that area and my doctor told me that some soreness and swelling is pretty normal anywhere from six months to a year. If if'ts really bothering you. Maybe you should talk with your doctor if you're in really bad pain?

Also - have you tried icing down your foot at the end of the night? That helped me when my foot was really swollen and sore.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

nicky87 HB User
Smile Re: 9 Months Post Op Chevron/Bunion Surgery Questions

I had a first metatarsal bunion surgery back 10 months ago and I have that same exact pain but my pain has been very minimum, at least for right now. I dont have any "cracking" stuff going on though but If it keeps on, I would definitely call the doctor and let him/her know whats going on. Also, the swelling is still gonna happen up to a year after the surgery.

But the first question is when did you start your exercise routine back up after your surgery? Second. How much information do you know about the doctor who performed the surgery? How long in practice, how many of these surgeries he/she has performed, Success rate, etc..Did you also finish your post op visits?

Hope this helps

Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
(female)

bones24 HB User
Re: 9 Months Post Op Chevron/Bunion Surgery Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightie102 View Post
The first time I posted on here I was 6 weeks post op. Hard to imagine it's 9 months now. Yet, I still feel pain every day. Obviously it's nothing like the pain of 6 weeks. But still annoying. I thought I would be healed by now. I was told to expect 'up to 8 months' to be healed and have swelling go down.

What is reasonable to expect a complete recovery? I'd love to hear opinions or experiences of others who've had this. (Chevron, Right foot, Bunion surgery, one perm screw inside, no pins.) My doc said all I had to do was build back up to exercising as much as I used to and I'd be fine. And did not order PT.

I walk between 2-4 miles every single day (sometimes together, or more often broken in 2 walks) and it's not making the pain go away or seeming to build up the foot muscles to stop hurting. I don't let the pain stop me but I'm tired of feeling it with each step. The best way to describe it is I feel like I constantly have a sore muscle that won't heal from the bottom of the big toe thru the bottom of my foot where the bunion used to be. It also feels like the bones are 'crackly' when I move it around. The degree of flexibility also still seems very limited when you consider how active I am and how long it's been since surgery. That doesn't seem to progress much. It's also still swollen and I can see it's bigger when putting it side by side with my left foot which didn't have surgery.

Any thoughts?
You might have Osteoarthritis in the joint. I will visit a orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon, podiatric surgeons know nothing. I had a similar surgery and it has gone horribly wrong. I have a thread about it.

Closed Thread