It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Smile Vitamin B6 DRASTICALLY has helped my foot pain!

Hey everyone! I used to have absolutely excruciating foot pain even when sitting and sometimes when laying down. Well, I saw my podiatrist and he gave me some custom made orthotics (which I don't think helped any... my feet and ankles felt far worse after wearing them than before) and a steroid which I forgot to take and am not sure where it disappeared to. Anyway, I was diagnosed with posterior tibial tendinitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome at my last visit and that is what I was being treated for. In the past, I had a bone spur on the right side of my right foot near my smallest toe. It was surgically removed but it feels like it may be growing back. My podiatrist said it doesn't look there is much regrowth but he did not say that he saw none. I go back to see him in about a week for another checkup. I was also previously diagnosed with a heel spur on my left foot. This was diagnosed via X-Ray at my primary care physician's office.

Well, here is where it gets interesting. I was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and had a nerve conduction study done. I had mild nerve damage. Well, before I had the nerve conduction study done, my primary care physician's nurse practitioner prescribed a Vitamin B6 supplement for me to take every day. I did not start taking it every day until recently but almost immediately I felt a HUGE amount of relief! So I am guessing that I apparently had a Vitamin B6 deficiency! My podiatrist also thought it was a good idea that I was on Vitamin B6 supplements.

That said, I do still have foot pain though now it is tolerable. Before I started taking the B6, I would sometimes have to take a narcotic pain pill to relieve the pain. It was Tylenol 3 with Codeine. At it's worst, even that did not totally get rid of the pain but it did significantly reduce the pain. However, my boyfriend and my family who knew was concerned that I'd get addicted to it and I began to believe that I might be starting an addiction and so that is why I finally chose to follow my primary care physician's orders and take the B6.

Oh and one other thing, I am also on prescription Aleve (Naproxen 500 mg twice a day) which also helps the pain to become much more tolerable whereas before it was intolerable.

Therefore, I just thought I'd post this all here to perhaps give you all some help! Anyone suffering from any sort of nerve disorder should consider talking to their doctor about a Vitamin B6 and possibly a Vitamin B Complex supplement. I am finally beginning to heal since my doctor put me on it. You don't have to be on narcotic pain relievers your entire or even for a month or so in what I would believe to be most cases. However, I am sure that there are some cases that are just not treatable and so such pain relievers are the only option. But anyway, I just wanted to hep whoever I could with this information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: Vitamin B6 DRASTICALLY has helped my foot pain!

Hi wwwgirl

Interesting post. I too have a nerve problem in my foot following mortons neuroma surgery 2 years ago and have tried everything under the sun to try to get rid of it. You name it and I've tried it. In fact tomorrow I am picking up my expensve custom orthotics I ordered. I am hoping they may help, but I have my doubts.

The vitamin b-6 and b complex vitamins is interesting. I was taking some of that, but maybe not for long enough. I have heard that the b-vitamins are good to take if you have nerve problems. How much are you taking and how long before you noticed an improvement? What brand was recommended to you? There are so many out there.

I also have been taking aleve over the counter occasionally. Haven't noticed any improvement yet. Maybe I will ask about the prescription Aleve Naproxen. What I hate about prescription drugs are all the hideous side effects you read about.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 06-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
(male)

Flaubert HB User

Very informative post, wwwgirl! I just want to ask you: what percentage of the daily valueof B6 does your supplement contain? I have one with 750%, and it made me wonder...

Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User

Hey everyone. I take 100 mg of B6 twice a day.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

With the orthodics you have to get used to them. Start off a couple hours a day and work your way up. They can also be adjusted. I had some of the arch grinded out.

When I rode my motorcycle to Alaska this supper I would get a stiff neck at times. I was drinking alot of energy drinks, and sometimes I wondered if they helped with the pain. They do contain alot of b12 or b6?? I think you do need to be careful how much you take though.

Closed Thread