It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

lifestyle48 HB User
shaving surgery on big toe

Does anybody have experience with minor bunion surgery where the big toe is shaved only?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: shaving surgery on big toe

Are you talking about a cheilectomy for big toe arthritis? There are lots people around here who can give you information about that. It seems like it is often a very successful surgery. My surgeon offered it to me last year but recommended a fusion. I chose the fusion because my joint was pretty much toast. I am happy with the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

lifestyle48 HB User

Hi Northwind,

Thank you for your answer.
Basically, my left foot looks different than the right one with the bunion which I probably got due to dancing in high heel shoes and jogging in sand at the beach. It is not connected to arthritis but starts hurting. I only want my bunion shaved and hope that the pressure in shoes is gone.
The other option with fusion and all the other stuff, I don't want; I feel uncomfortable imagining, having screws or metal in the foot as I walk a lot and am on my feet all day.
May I ask you, as I read somewhere that you seem to be happy with a foot surgery performed on your foot (feet?) compared to many others, whether you also have metal bits such as screws, pins, etc in your foot and whether you feel fine, can walk, jog or others without any pain, just like a normal foot?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi lifestyle, I really resisted getting the fusion. I could not even begin to think of a joint that did not move, even though the joint hardly moved already, and when it did it HURT. I have a plate and screw system. I think it is called hallu-ream or something similar. The plate and screws will stay there unless it causes some problem. I have just about no pain now, and I understand that it takes a year to heal, so I will see how it is at the end of October. I will be able to jog on it if I am so inclined. (I'm not. ) As it turns out, the fusion was my best option.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

So this is a bunion on the side? Is it due to movement/shifting of the bones or from wear from the bones rubbing together?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

There is a huge difference between fusion of a joint and shaving the bone, if I understand your question correctly. I had bunionectomies on either side of my right foot (1st metatarsal and 5th,otherwise known as a Tailor bunion). My doctor told me that shaving the bunion is just what it sounds like. The bone is shaved, but not cut and re-positioned with pins or screws. I would be concerned that the bone would continue to shift and the bunion would return since your foot mechanics had not been remedied. As Northwind can tell you,
a fusion is done when there is considerable damage to the joint. I will be having the same surgery performed on my left foot next June. I now have arthritis in the left big toe joint, but my doctor said it is not severe (hurts to me!), and that the surgery will relieve the wear and tear, and at this point, he does not see a fusion in my future. My post-surgery right foot is great, and I look forward to a matching set. I was lucky to have temporary pins, so no metal parts remain.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I too am concerned that there may be a deformity of the bone. Shaving it to make it straight will not reposition it and can be the cause of further deformity down the road. I had a cheilectomy but the bone was straight and needed no correction from that standpoint.

Closed Thread