It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

BunionGal HB User
TERRIFIED for my bunionectomy

I'm having bunion surgery (bunionectomy and "v" osteotomy) in a few days and just met with my doctor for the pre-op visit. I wasn't worried before, but I sure am now!

He told me they'll have to do blood work an hour before the surgery, and that I'll probably lose more blood during the blood work than the surgery (WHAT? How much blood are they going to take?!?!?)

He also said they'll put me under a "light" general anesthesia. I'm worried this will have be blathering on ridiculously. When I had my wisdom teeth out, apparently I was chatting up a storm after and I remember everyone laughing at me. I'm so worried about saying stupid things and embarrassing myself. I know the doctors do this everyday and they probably won't care, but I sure do!

Also, my doctor told me that I'll have to wear a hospital gown. I don't know why, but I kind of just assumed since they were only working on the end of my foot, I could just wear something knee-length and be fine. Does this mean I'll have to be naked under the gown? I'm so worried about preserving my modesty and people seeing me naked (I know doctors do this all the time and they don't care, but it bothers me!) Now that I've started searching stuff about surgery online, I'm reading things about having to take your panties off so that doctors can insert a catheter during surgery, or going into surgery with panties on and the doctor taking them off during surgery. These are things I hadn't even thought about before and now I'm freaking out!

The doctor also said I'll have a tourniquet on my thigh. After researching, this seems to be standard procedure. But what exactly will they be doing to my thigh??? He said something about marking it and putting on pads to make sure the tourniquet doesn't slip. So he said not to be surprised if my thigh is marked up after surgery.

I know these probably seem like small concerns (especially since I'm not worried about pain, scars, recovery, etc.) but I'm seriously considering not having the surgery and just living with the bunion!

Have any of you bunion veterans had experience with these issues? I'm really young and haven't been to a hospital before, so I don't know what to expect! Please help!

Last edited by BunionGal; 06-28-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: TERRIFIED for my bunionectomy

Oh gosh! You certainly have run across some very odd information. Here goes:

1) Blood - he was trying to tell you how LITTLE blood you will loose...less than the blood they will draw...which is probably just one vial, if that much. In other words, he was talking less and jumped to the conclusion of more.

2) Tourniquet: this is to slow the blood flow to the lower extremity (foot) so you won't bleed too much and they can do the procedure. Very common and not a problem at all.

3) Underwear: I've never had to remove mine for foot surgeries. Had to for gallbladder removal but that was on my tummy.

4) Hospital gown: If you go into surgery, you'll always have one on. They need to be able to access your body in case of some emergency. Should something untoward happen, you don't want them taking time to remove clothing!

5) I wouldn't think you'd need a catheter and they should certainly have told you about that if so. I assume you'll go home the same day and they usually don't release you till you can urinate on your own so they wouldn't want compromise that by using a catheter.

6) You can call the surgery center and ask these and any other questions you may have.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

jpsumner HB User

I had to take off all my clothes (including bra and underwear) for surgery - I think it's a precaution for surgery. No big deal. Would you want any type of anything that could possibly contaminate/infect your open surgical procedure? I also had the twilight sleep - and slept almost the whole time. The procedure only lasts about an hour, you won't remember and it'll be over before you know it.

Focus on taking care of yourself afterwards and not so much on the small things about the actual surgery. Surgery really is the easiest thing that happens before all the healing.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

You have to take off your bra because of the metal

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I went under general anesthesia for my 2 bunionectomies and had some reservations, but it was more important for me to take care of my feet and put any modesty aside.

As I was being put under, I told the anesthesiologist that anything I said could not be held against me. She said she's heard it all and I probably wasn't going to tell her anything new. I laughed and figured she was right. After all, we ALL are capable of saying anything in that situation, so if we do, it just means we're normal. Not worth canceling surgery over. You'll be fine.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

As jpsummer wrote, the surgery is only a small part of the healing journey.
I am modest too. I was told to keep my panties on, and the gown was very generous. I did not have general anesthesia, but "twilight", and even
then I was told I would be pretty much out. The plan is to slightly rouse the patient mid-way through surgery, which I remember. I opened my eyes, saw the lights above, and then was out again. You'll be fine. Anticipation can drive you batty, but soon you'll be on your way to a new and improved foot.
Good luck.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
(female)

rlpkayaker HB User

BunionGal, I had the EXACT same concerns as you before my bunionectomy.

They only take one little vial of blood. Like someone else said, your dr. was trying to reassure you that you wouldn't loose a lot of blood.

As for the anesthesia, I had my mom with me and I was so scared I'd say something weird or bad I considered asking her to leave the room. Like you when I had my wisdom teeth out I said some things I didn't intend to say (supposedly nothing bad though). It turned out ok. They didn't give me the anesthesia until I got in to the OR so I didn't have any family around. They also gave me a few minutes to wake up before they brought her back in and by then I was aware of what was going on.

As soon as I got in to the pre-op area I was told to take off everything and put on a hospital gown. This included my bra and panties which I wasn't expecting so if it's "your time" make sure you've made some provisions for this (sorry guys). The gown was plenty big though and my nurse was really good about making me comfortable. I didn't have to have a catheter or anything like that.

I don't think I had a tourniquet on my thigh. If I did they didn't tell me and it didn't leave any marks.

Be sure to take those pain pills. Thanks to a nerve block I didn't have a lot of pain right afterwards and so was a little lackadaisical with the pain meds. This resulted in a very unpleasant first night. I'm 5 weeks out now and back in normal shoes though not without some discomfort.

You'll be fine! Keep us posted!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
(female)

BunionGal HB User

Thank you SO much to everyone for your kind responses. You were all right - I made way too big a deal out of my concerns. I had my surgery a couple days ago and it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be! Nothing bloody, was able to wear my underwear, didn't faint, didn't notice the tourniquet, etc.

The biggest problem I had was with the IV - the nurse stuck my hands about 10 times before I made her give up and do it in my arm. I'm skinny though and have tiny veins, so difficult IVs/shots is something I'm used to! They gave me something to relax me as they wheeled me into surgery, so I felt good going to sleep. I woke up crying and asking for my mom, which was pretty sad. Fortunately when I came around I calmed down so it was alright.

They had me put weight on my foot almost immediately, though. After giving me some pain meds and juice and crackers, they had me walk to the bathroom. It hurt pretty bad, but they said that was normal.

I've been using crutches to get around because I don't want to walk on my foot (even though I have a boot that I'm supposed to be able to put heel pressure on). My parents were bugging me and telling me that since the doctor didn't say I had to use crutches that it probably meant I was supposed to exercise my foot. I tried walking without the crutches and felt a big pop in my metatarsal. I think it was just like cracking a knuckle... but I'm a little worried. Anyone else experience weird pops in their foot? Now I'm all paranoid that I've popped my foot out of place or something.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
(female)

rlpkayaker HB User

Glad everything turned out ok. I wasn't allowed to bear weight on mine for awhile. Even when I was told I could I still used the crutches for a few days because I didn't feel ready and it still felt too painful. Even now, after being given the ok to wear normal shoes I'm still using the boot while I'm home.

As far as the popping goes, when I got my stitches out at around 2 weeks the Dr. showed me range of motion exercises involving pulling/holding my toe back and forth. I definitely had some popping or clicking but that was scar tissue breaking up. It hasn't done that in a week or so though. I'm not sure what would cause that so early on though. I'd definitely mention it when you went back for that first post-op.

Good luck to you! I hope you're having a pain-free 4th!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
(female)

BunionGal HB User

Thanks for your reply, rlpkayaker. I'll definitely talk to my doctor at my post-op on Wednesday. For now I'm being conservative like you and putting as little stress as possible on my poor footsie.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
(female)

Stitches29 HB User

Don't be worried. I had mine Chevron (V) Bunionectomy done on June 2, 2010 by an orthopedic surgeon. The only thing I had to take off was my bra, because they needed to put heart monitor leads on me. You will be on the table, with your feet hanging off slightly. They put a band around your leg, to keep you from over bleeding. I was totally out. When I woke up in recovery it was time to go home. I used a walker with wheels, seat and handbrakes for the first week. I would put my knee in the seat of the walker, and roll to where I needed to go. I got to be a pro at it. After the first week, I used a walking boot. That was total freedom then. Two months after surgery, the doctor said I could give the boot the boot. I will now wear a silicone wedge between my big toe and second toe for three months. I'm scheduled to have my other foot done on Sept. 1st. Good Luck. It will all be fine.

Last edited by Stitches29; 07-30-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
(female)

madbookworm HB User

So how did it turn out? I HAVE to wear underwear because of mild urinary incontinence, so I have to wear a pad or there may be a mess!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
(female)

Stitches29 HB User

You do not have to take your underwear off. Only your bra, because of the heart leads. Both of my surgeries went fine. My first foot is now 8 months behind me, and my second foot is 6 months ago. Both are fine, and look great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stitches29 For This Useful Post:
madbookworm (03-12-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I understand your concerns. I had my first surgery this past August (flat foot reconstruction) and I was more concerned about being naked under the gown (yes, including my panties). To make it worse, I work with all these people at the hospital. I am a very private person and was mortified to find I had to take everything off! By the time you have surgery, you really do not care (because of the meds), and afterwards it really did not matter. The tournequet is so you do not lose to much blood - your thigh might be sore afterwards, mine was. Good luck with your surgery

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
madbookworm (03-13-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
(female)

undecidedbunion HB User

I had to remove all of my clothes and just wear the gown. I also thought I could keep my underwear and bra on but they said no. I think they don't want anything from your home on you when you go into surgery for many reasons. Some of the reasons you have already read on this site and one other reason may be to keep the surgery room free of any germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunionGal View Post
I'm having bunion surgery (bunionectomy and "v" osteotomy) in a few days and just met with my doctor for the pre-op visit. I wasn't worried before, but I sure am now!

He told me they'll have to do blood work an hour before the surgery, and that I'll probably lose more blood during the blood work than the surgery (WHAT? How much blood are they going to take?!?!?)

He also said they'll put me under a "light" general anesthesia. I'm worried this will have be blathering on ridiculously. When I had my wisdom teeth out, apparently I was chatting up a storm after and I remember everyone laughing at me. I'm so worried about saying stupid things and embarrassing myself. I know the doctors do this everyday and they probably won't care, but I sure do!

Also, my doctor told me that I'll have to wear a hospital gown. I don't know why, but I kind of just assumed since they were only working on the end of my foot, I could just wear something knee-length and be fine. Does this mean I'll have to be naked under the gown? I'm so worried about preserving my modesty and people seeing me naked (I know doctors do this all the time and they don't care, but it bothers me!) Now that I've started searching stuff about surgery online, I'm reading things about having to take your panties off so that doctors can insert a catheter during surgery, or going into surgery with panties on and the doctor taking them off during surgery. These are things I hadn't even thought about before and now I'm freaking out!

The doctor also said I'll have a tourniquet on my thigh. After researching, this seems to be standard procedure. But what exactly will they be doing to my thigh??? He said something about marking it and putting on pads to make sure the tourniquet doesn't slip. So he said not to be surprised if my thigh is marked up after surgery.

I know these probably seem like small concerns (especially since I'm not worried about pain, scars, recovery, etc.) but I'm seriously considering not having the surgery and just living with the bunion!

Have any of you bunion veterans had experience with these issues? I'm really young and haven't been to a hospital before, so I don't know what to expect! Please help!

Closed Thread