It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

thixson HB User
Severe Feet Pain Waking me up at night

Hello. I am a 34 years old , healthy, athletic female. Over the past few months I have been experiencing sharp throbbing pains in both of my feet while I sleep. Every single night I am awoken by these pains. The right foot is worse than the left - but both are affected. I have seen a podiatrist and he has stated that I have bunions on both feet, but I have had these for as long as I can remember and they never caused problems before. Moreover, the actual bunions ONLY hurt at night (while sleeping) and if I am wearing closed toe high heeled shoes. Otherwise, I am generally pain free - including able to run 3-4 miles daily. He has suggested bunion surgery but I am weary as I am concerned that is not the source of the problem as bunions generally don't hurt while sleeping. Any ideas before I get cut?

Last edited by thixson; 06-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Severe Feet Pain Waking me up at night

I had osteoarthritis in the same joint, the 1st MTP joint. The thing that made me seek help was the feeling of an ice pick jamming into that joint in the middle of the night. I think pain that wakes you up in the night is worth checking out. Check with your doctor and consider a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon for another opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I had bunions that hurt mostly at night. There were some nights that I couldn't even have a sheet on them or they would hurt. The pain seemed to come and go. I could go for years and not have any pain at all, and then out of the blue the pain would return. It's worth it to have xrays to see what shape your foot bones are in.

I had bunionectomies last year and I'm just returning to running - small steps, though!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I found the sheets very painful too. I mentioned that to my doctor and he looked at me like I had two heads. I don't think he had heard that before. I have since heard of others who had that experience. Now when I am in bed I sometimes appreciate that the blankets do not hurt my foot. Small things......

Any pain that wakes us up in the night needs to be checked out.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

Northwind - When I told my surgeon about the sheets, he nodded his head and said he hears that a lot. Made me feel better to know I wasn't alone!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill, I think my surgeon would have nodded too. Actually my GP probably understood, he was likely just caught off guard with a "wierd" symptom. I really liked him......until he left town. Brat. Oh well, I do like my current doctor now.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

My doctors keep leaving my clinic! There's only 1 doctor left that I really like (I prefer females for my female issues), and if she leaves, I'm finding a new clinic. It's like hair stylists - they always seem to leave me, too! It's hard not to take it personally. lol!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

When my doctor left he was replaced by a man who I did not like. He prescribed Flexeril (muscle relaxant) for me and told me it was an anti-inflammatory. He stuck to that story even when I questioned him......I do know the difference. I did not like being treated like a fat old lady so I went to the other doctor in the clinic who was accepting new patients. I really like her. To be fair to the other guy, I had not wanted to change doctors, so was not at all receptive to having to change. There are about six doctors in this clinic, and I like them all pretty much. Though the guy who prescribed me Flexeril would not be my first choice. He removed the stitches from my foot, and I did not see him wash his hands first........I would certainly be more assertive now and ask him to wash his hands in front of me before he touched me, especially for a surgical incision.

Closed Thread