It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

rr88 HB User
Unhappy Bunion Surgery/Wire became loose

Need feedback please!!!

Okay so I had bunion surgery on my right foot during May of 2010, it is now July 2010. The bunion surgery I had was a bone cut and then my doctor put in two wires in in my foot to hold my right big toe in place, he didn't put in screws because he said my bones were too small. Those wires were said to stay in my foot for life. I went in this past week for post op and I told him that I have had some sudden pangs developing on the bottom of my foot near where the wire was placed. Sure enough a wire had become loose and now I have to get surgery to get it removed. My two problems are that it still looks like I have a bunion (not much difference- had a moderate bunion before) and now I have to get this wire removal, did I mention that soon after the most recent post op visit my foot started hurting really bad everytime I tried to walk or put weight on it and I started feeling tinkling sensations at the top of my big toe and sending shooting pains up to my knees every now and then!?! There is still that tender sensation when I run my fingers on the bottom of my foot too. I wasn't too worried before when I heard the news about the wire removal because I was doing fine, walking with my own shoes and doing my phsyical therapy BUT NOW I can't even walk with or without the boot because it hurts too much. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any permanent wires put in place instead of screws or the pin k-wires, I can't find anyone that has had permanent wires put in place while web surfing. Also I am wondering if the pain I am feeling now will go away when he takes out the loose wire??? Any feed back would be appreciated!!!!

Last edited by rr88; 07-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User
Re: Bunion Surgery/Wire became loose

Sorry no one has answered you but the proceedure they did on you is reletivly new and if I'm not mistaken I believe it's called the "Tight Rope" proceedure. You are the first I've seen here to have had it. I wondered if there were any cons with this surgery. You know what said about something that's too good to be true! There another proceedure where they only cut the offending nerve but you still are left with that bone growth but if it's not real bad then what's worse a little bone protrusion and no pain or what your facing? I had mine done in March of this year and it was a Chevron with a fusion of the big toe and to date my podietrist said my bone is not fusing well and I had a Mortons Neuroma removed via the ball of my foot at the same time as the bunionectomy and both on the same foot. Another backdraw to both the surgeries was periphrial neuropothy (hope I spelled that right!).

Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

jpsumner HB User

Although I had different bunionectomy surgeries (austin), it seems as what you are describing is normal for the recovery after only 8 weeks or so. There will be numbness, some soreness, tingling, etc. You could have these symptoms for upwards of a year until your bone, tissues, nerves, etc. are all back to normal.

Most doctors will not give you a "straight" toe for reasons that it is uncomfortable in most shoes. Could your doctor have slightly angled your toe? You're probably not redeveloping the bunion if your toe is slightly crooked. With a moderate bunion, you shouldn't see a LOT of difference in the way the toe looked before and after surgery. Do you still have pain at the bunion site? That's the most important thing to note.

Also, this surgery has a very long healing process, as does any surgery I'm sure. Please be patient and keep contact with your doctor if some things don't feel right/normal. You went through major surgery/trama to your foot. It's going to take more than two months to feel like normal again.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Stitches29 HB User

I am so sorry for your pain. I had a Chevron Bunionectomy on June 2, 2010. No screws, pins, wires etc needed for this type of surgery. It's been 2 months now, and I finally got out of the walking boot. The doctor said I need to wear a silicone wedge between my big toe and second toe for the next three months. You don't even know that you're wearing it. I'm scheduled to have my other foot done on Sept. 1, 2010. Looking forward to getting back to a normal life. I still have swelling in my foot, but can wear a tennis shoe. I hope everything is resolved with your foot.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Hi stitches, good luck on that surgery I will certainly have you in my prayers! I finally started therapy buy I alternate every Tuesday. One week my foot the next is my shoulder. I fell on it two weeks PostOp still clutching the crutch and apparently tore something (minor but still painful) in my rotator cuff. And yes that was in March! I now have more movement of my ankle and toes but I can still feel some stiffness of some ligaments in the ankle on certain exercises he has me doing. This week is the shoulder but I was warned already that he'll be getting into the nitty gritty, the scar tissue next week! I'm still in the air shoe and can't walk barefoot and still have pain as I imagine it would still hurt some in the bunion area. The swelling is still there on the instep and I can't wear shoes because I have pain in the area of the first Neuroma removal surgery in 04' so anything that may bend at the toes is a no-no and I still have the neuropathy but without checking it out my TP said that should straighten itself out over time. Hmmm, should I go on blind faith and take his word on that like I did with the doctor who told me not to worry he's done that surgery lots of times things will come out just fine? I hate pain and I'm so angry at my Pod for putting me in the predicament to having to go through the torture of what's coming up.

Well, I wish you the best and hope all works out just fine with no complications.

Vivian

Closed Thread