It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

ptrouty HB User
fractured calcaneus 2 weeks post op

I imagine everyone has slight differences in healing time/ progress, but here's my version: fell off a ladder 6 ft landed on my heel on the concrete, off to the er for a good time, xray and cat scans taken, splinted up sent home to return in six days for the verdict; broken calcaneus, surgery 5 days later, orif. they used a general and a nerve block so i woke up feeling quite chipper (low pain) the block wore off the next day then the pain game started (worse than the initial sledge hammer to the foot event) stayed over at the hospital two nights until the drain placed during surgery stopped producing. home sweet home armed with vicodin, 2x4 times daly. started cutting myself off one pill per day after the first two days. uncomfortable, but glad to be on the mend. its been 16 days since sugery, the swelling has gone down substantially, as witnessed by the stretchmarks on the top of my foot and the gaps between my toes. tomorrow the splint comes off and i imagine a regular cast goes on after they check for the health of the wound site and pull the stitches. what a long strange journey, everything about it is sloooow.... does this sound like anyone elses experience? what's next?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

Stix HB User
Re: fractured calcaneus 2 weeks post op

I've never experienced anything like that but was wondering, why the 6 day wait for the verdict? Seems like that was a little inhumane to have to wait and deal with the pain. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

climbr HB User

Hi ptrouty, I am on the same timeline as you. Fractured my heel on 6-6-10 and I am now 18 days out from surgery. I have not experienced the pain or swelling you and most others seem to have. The most frustrating thing for me has been cutting my activity level way down and needing people to help me do things.

I saw the doc 2 weeks after surgery. They took the cast off and the stitches out. I was instructed NWB for 6 more weeks. He told me I could do range of motion exercises with my injured ankle to relieve some of the stiffness. I have decent ROM except turning the foot in is really restricted and painful. This is the side of the incision so I hope that once the soft tissue heals, the pain will dissipate.

So until my next appointment I can't walk, which is a major bummer. I am looking into purchasing the iWalkFree crutch...I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. As an avid hiker/outdoorsperson it is destroying me that I have such limited mobility. This crutch might allow me to hit the trails before I can walk. I'll keep ya posted.

So, all you've got in your immediate future is keeping the swelling under control and starting to regain motion in the operated foot/ankle, without overdoing it. Good times!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
(male)

ptrouty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbr View Post
Hi ptrouty, I am on the same timeline as you. Fractured my heel on 6-6-10 and I am now 18 days out from surgery. I have not experienced the pain or swelling you and most others seem to have. The most frustrating thing for me has been cutting my activity level way down and needing people to help me do things.

I saw the doc 2 weeks after surgery. They took the cast off and the stitches out. I was instructed NWB for 6 more weeks. He told me I could do range of motion exercises with my injured ankle to relieve some of the stiffness. I have decent ROM except turning the foot in is really restricted and painful. This is the side of the incision so I hope that once the soft tissue heals, the pain will dissipate.

So until my next appointment I can't walk, which is a major bummer. I am looking into purchasing the iWalkFree crutch...I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. As an avid hiker/outdoorsperson it is destroying me that I have such limited mobility. This crutch might allow me to hit the trails before I can walk. I'll keep ya posted.

So, all you've got in your immediate future is keeping the swelling under control and starting to regain motion in the operated foot/ankle, without overdoing it. Good times!
hi there climbr, were you climbing when you fell? how bad was your break? i'm also going nuts laying around, crutches just don't cut it, i bought a used iwalkfree on ebay yesterday for $185 can't wait to give it a try. i tried to buy one earlier for less but got outbid, anywho they're out there. did they re-cast you, give you a removeable boot, or leave it open? i'm going in today...

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
(male)

huey642 HB User

Hello

I brook my heel in a hockey game went to one dr and he said to put it in a cast. Went to a different dr and he said I need surgery because my joint was not right the bones moved. I am 5 weeks out of surgery now. I had 12 screws and a plate my pain was bad for 2 days then I stopped the pain killers it seemed like ice help more then the pills. I am in pt now doing better everyday. I am a electrician and they told me it will be 4-6 months before I can go to work. What has your dr been telling you? I just need to get back to work ASAP and am doing what ever I can.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Its going to be a long recovery, thats just the way it is. Most people start weight bearing around 12 weeks, some sooner. But even then it will be limited. Though within a month of that you will be getting around, using a cane, and you will feel it at times.

Takes about 12-18 months. I am at 16 months, but with no surgery, I was in to bad of shape to do surgery, so they decided to wait. 10-12 months seemed to be a point where things got better, though I was doing alot before that.

Keep your foot elevated, I mean really elevated. Ask your doc about compressions socks when you start walking.

I found light wool hiking socks to really help, padded socks make a big difference.

Also keep up with your PT and start as soon as the doc lets you.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
(male)

ptrouty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey642 View Post
Hello

I brook my heel in a hockey game went to one dr and he said to put it in a cast. Went to a different dr and he said I need surgery because my joint was not right the bones moved. I am 5 weeks out of surgery now. I had 12 screws and a plate my pain was bad for 2 days then I stopped the pain killers it seemed like ice help more then the pills. I am in pt now doing better everyday. I am a electrician and they told me it will be 4-6 months before I can go to work. What has your dr been telling you? I just need to get back to work ASAP and am doing what ever I can.
i keep hearing 6 weeks elevated, 6 weeks nwb, then off you go. i think the reality is every person is different and there are are no ready rules of healing timewise. how well can you move your ankle now? i'm three weeks out of surgery now and just trying to stretch out my tendon. i'm a metalworker and need to get back in the game asap as well. pt starts next week..

Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
(male)

huey642 HB User

I can move it better everyday I would say I am at 50% right now. My toes donít move well at all I am kind of surprised about that. This injury is very weird every doctor seems to have different opinions it is hard to know who to trust. We have heard that my doctor is the best in the area. The group is the official doctors for the Jets pro football team. My injury happened on 6/6 had surgery on 6/16, 1 week after that had a recheck and change the dressing. They where full of blood I was surprised. Then waited another 2 weeks to get my stitches out at that visit he said ready for pt and they took the splint off and gave me a stupid boot I donít wear it much because I cant walk yet and they said to take it off when I sleep. So then I started pt been going only for 2 visits and feeling a lot better. I go to see him again in a week, that would be 3 weeks from the last visit then he said I should be able to start wait bearing, but he said that is if the x rays are good I am hoping so. This all does seem to take long and sitting is not fun. One thing that is helping me is netflixs it is cool I get movies right on the TV from the wii. I also talk to the guys at work during the day if they need help or have a question about a job I started. I am really hoping to get better soon I look at my van in the driveway and want to get back in it and start working never thought I would say that. It is still weird to me how everyone seems to have a different treatment plan with this injury. I never thought this would be so complication. The ER doctor really scared me, he was so surprised with the injury. My wife and I thought the same thing as he was talking it seemed like I would never walk again. I asked him how long are we talking for recovery and he was shaking his head then said like 8 weeks it felt like a weight was lifted off my chest. Before he said that I was thinking what I will do for work we will not have the house have no money so on. Anyhow then they set me up in a splint and went to the first doctor the next morning. The hospitals x ray system was down so he could not view the x-ray or the cat scan. He took a x-ray at his office and looked at it and said no big deal put it in a splint and was going to send me off. Before he did that we asked what about the cat scan because the lady that did that at the hospital said it was broke in many pieces and off the record she thought surgery. The er doctor said the same thing that I would need surgery. So I was surprised he said no surgery. A couple days later that doctor said he looked at the cat scans and it was not great but he still felt just a splint then in 2 weeks a cast. I went for a second opinion 9 days after the injury and my current doctor said I need surgery so I had it the next day. Sorry about the spelling and writing but that is my story.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrouty View Post
i keep hearing 6 weeks elevated, 6 weeks nwb, then off you go..
Never heard that. Even once you start walking, you will want to elevate it when you are not walking. Once you start walking, the muscles start working, and that does help. But you will still need to keep it elevated.

Plus 12 weeks NWB is not unusual. Some people start partial weight bearing before that. Listen to the doc.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
(male)

pdcraven HB User

Greetings Heelies,

I have read many stories about heel fractures and Iím ready to tell my story in a hope that I can get over my depression.

I am a P.E. teacher who has been an athlete all of my life. However, I was an occupational therapist before I became a P.E. teacher. Therefore, I am an occupational therapist and a P.E. teacher. All my life I have been very, very active. I have a 5 year old son, and since I started writing this letter, I now know why I am so depressed. My summers always belong to my son and me.

Here is my storyÖ

Fractured 6/13 from a 6 foot fall from my ladder in my garage. Went to the ER and the next day saw my OS. He told me my fracture had little displacement and would not recommend surgery. He gave me my boot and told me to come back in a week. At that time, the OS looked at my foot and said itís healing, ďcome see me in four weeks.Ē So thatís where Iím at right now.

Over the past 5 weeks I have not been allowed to drive (Right heel fracture). But I have been going crazy not knowing what to expect with my foot.

I currently have approximately full ROM in my injured foot. I say approximately because I have always had weak ankles (Iíve wrestled since I was 8 years old). I am consistently moving my ankle and foot throughout the entire day. I only wear my boot when I am traveling on my crutches. I do this because I have fallen several times, doing things I should not be doing. I figure the boot will protect my foot more than if I did not have it on.

Since the third day of my accident, I have not taken a pain pill. I do not feel any pain. I have swelling but, now that I am in week 5 of my injury, I no longer wrap my foot in ace bandages (to compress), ice it, or worry about the swelling. I guess this is where I have a question. Should I be worried about the swelling? It doesnít hurt and I have read where swelling helps heal the injury.

To get around, I use my crutches for outside, a knee walker for the downstairs, and hop or crawl upstairs. To get exercise, I take an hour walk (with my crutches), do my push ups and sit ups.

In 20 days I see the OS again and predict that I will be weight bearing. I would like to thank all of the heelies. I have read everything dating back to 2004. It feels good to tell my story.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

You don't have anything to be depressed about, you may be the best case I have read on here. Attitude counts for alot.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
(female)

climbr HB User

Hi pdcraven, I completely understand what you're feeling.

I'm a very active person too and my summer plans were destroyed by my accident in the first week of June. I did have surgery and I'm about another month out from starting to slowly put weight on my foot. No climbing mountains, no backpacking, no swimming, no nothing for me.

I don't think the average Joe gets it, how utterly miserable it is to be hopping around on one foot, unable to do what you love doing.

I recently got the iWalkFree crutch and went on a camping trip this week. I'm going on a solo weeklong camping trip next week. It's unbelievable. Sure, no alpine meadows or multipitch granite climbing for me, but to be able to be independent and be able to use my hands while moving about feels pretty phenomenal.

Before this I got exercise by doing yoga, lots of core workouts, pushups, pullups, and short walks with the crutches. I took up soapmaking and cooked a lot. I did a ton of word puzzles and reading while I was recovering from surgery. You have to put yourself into a different mindset; you can't think of all the things you CAN'T DO--you have to think of all the things you CAN DO. That attitude shift will help you immensely.

Hang in there, at least it's temporary!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

Your injury sounds very simular to mine. Fractured right heel Dec 2009, non displaced so no surgery. Zerk is right on the money with full weight bearing at 12 weeks or so. Aqua therapy really helped when I was PWB. Foot still gets "hot" at times (nerves) and I will get shooting pains now and again. I take no meds and am active riding a Harley touring bike, 4 wheeling, boating (fishing) and of course working full time as an electrician. Seems to still be improving slowly. I have a spot on the bottom of my heel with no feeling, but that is not a problem. The STJ has limited side to side motion but I can still walk on uneven ground ok, the beach was challenging. I ride snowmobiles and lost the entire season but there is this year and I am looking forward to it. This injury takes time, but it will heal, press on.......

Last edited by Toyman57; 07-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
(male)

jausten1987 HB User

okay i am new on here and have read alot of peoples stories none of them even come close to mine and how fast they had me on my feet but anyway here goes

first of all docs who do the surgery dnt know peoples recovery time etc they are there to fix the bone etc and move onto the next person i have found they say and write what ever they need to to cover there own *** incase somthing happends, your PT is the one that knows the recovery time and what you should be doing etc and what youll be able to do there the ones who look after you

14.06.2010 - Broke both my heels whilst playing football that went to hospital that night had xray etc and put into splints str8 away was told my left heel will need surgery screws, plates etc and the right heel will go into a none removable cast for 6 weeks

i was in hospital for 10days with my feet elevated on the 11th days i went into surgery which my surgen said went perfect 2 days after surgery they had me up on a gutter zimmer frame full WB on my non surgery foot and alf WB on surgery foot which was placed into a moon boot, they then moved me onto a normal zimmer frame which was hard and painful atfirst but i can honestly say WB early really helps the bones repair sooner, (tried me on crutches but could not balance right)

it will be 6 weeks on monday and my cast comes off (hopefull) if it does this foot is going to swell and i know is still bruised because iv seen it when they changed my cast but feels great no matter how or werei push on it

The foot i had surgery feels great little bit of swelling left on the outside of the foot and back of the heel which will go down when i start walking on it more due to the calf working as a pump!! and little shocks up the outside from the nerves kicking bk in and firing up ....... scare is still heeling but going very nicley can walk modiratly ok with a slipper on the surgery foot now without a zimmer frame, obv much better with

i have also been putting barefoot on floor getting use to it again

seen the PT twice and doing general ankle and foot exercises only take painkillers at night to put me to sleep if i need.

i still taking tanzaparin injections for couple more weeks these thin your blood stop thrombosis

My PT also says he's confurdint he'll have me playing football again in 9 months i was like wow and i know this PT is no joker or lier because i had my soulder pinned last year and had got full movment in it 6-7 months later with the same PT playing football 9 months later in goal etc

i live in the uk and got my treatment on the NHS

Last edited by jausten1987; 07-23-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added more info

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
(male)

pdcraven HB User

Thank you all for your encouragement. I pray the same for you. I'm now in my 7th week and I must confess. This past weekend, when I was in the pool, I did stand on my broken foot. I did it only for a second. Toyman, what can you tell me about beginning PWB. What are the steps? For example, my doctor told me in the eighth week, I could start to walk on my broken foot, with my boot and crutches, with no more than 5 lbs. But, what's after than? What is the sequence? How do you know when the foot is ready.

Closed Thread