It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
(male)

Sour Thing HB User
Smile Recovery from broken calcaneus

I am a 67 year old retired man. In early March of this year (2010), I succeeded in shattering my calcaneus plus broke my ankle in 3 places. After 3 months of no weight bearing, am now actually able to walk unassisted. Have been in PT three times a week since early June. Dealing with a lot of swelling, plus pins and needles, especially at night. As a result, sleeping is becoming near to impossible. Would love to hear from any other Heelies who are dealing with this burning and pins and needles. HELP!

Last edited by Sour Thing; 07-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Recovery from broken calcaneus

I shattered my calc and talus March of 09. You need to keep it elevated when your not walking. The tingly feelins will go away. They may be a good sign that feel and circulation is coming back. The swelling is supposed to get better when you start walking, cause the muscle will be working.

I iced it alot for the first few months of walking. Do you have a compression sock? If not ask your doc, but I think you should.

I only wear light wool hiking socks now, padded socks help.

Its a long recovery, thats just the way it is. 12-18 months. I started having less pain around 10-12 months. I started using a walker, easier then crutches. Then cane, then nothing, with overlap.

In another month or so you will be doing alot of stuff, just feeling it at times. Yes, at times there will be pain. But you got get through it.

You just got to wait it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
(male)

Sour Thing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I shattered my calc and talus March of 09. You need to keep it elevated when your not walking. The tingly feelins will go away. They may be a good sign that feel and circulation is coming back. The swelling is supposed to get better when you start walking, cause the muscle will be working.

I iced it alot for the first few months of walking. Do you have a compression sock? If not ask your doc, but I think you should.

I only wear light wool hiking socks now, padded socks help.

Its a long recovery, thats just the way it is. 12-18 months. I started having less pain around 10-12 months. I started using a walker, easier then crutches. Then cane, then nothing, with overlap.

In another month or so you will be doing alot of stuff, just feeling it at times. Yes, at times there will be pain. But you got get through it.

You just got to wait it out.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
(male)

Sour Thing HB User

Thanks for the input. Got another question for you. Have you had any experience with what I would electric shocks that shoot foot the foot every so often. These shocks about knock me on the floor when they happen. Has this happened to you?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Oh ya, I had them for awile, here and there. Not sure if its the nerves coming back or circulation. I don't get them any more.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

Broke my heel bone in dec 2009. Got those "electric shocks" for a few months, Do not get them any more. Takes time but things will get better.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
(male)

pdcraven HB User

Zerk,
Thanks for all of your advice. I just got permisson (today) to WB w/ my crutches. I'm worried! The bottom of my heel hurts a lot. Do you know what this means? Also, what are the signs that my STJ is injured as well.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Your going to have alot of pain the first few months, you just got to get through it. I really like light wool hiking socks, cooler then cotton and cushioned. Ask your doc about compression sock.

I had a walker, I wasn't stabe enough for crutches, but I also broke the leg on the other side.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
(male)

pdcraven HB User

Thanks Zerk, That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
(male)

mrmarc101 HB User

that will go away eventually.smashed my calcaneus an got plate an screws,also screwed up my subtalur joint .went to boston to get it done . its been 9 months since fall and its still stifffens up .its a long road to recovery

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
(female)

k 63 HB User

Hi Im a 49 female had a fall from a rope swing in January 2012 Tibial Plateau Fracture of the left knee and crushed calcaneus. 2 weeks in hospital waiting for the swelling to subside then first my heel operation hardware and 7 screws and 15 hours later my knee hardware 9 screws and bone from a cadavar ! At 8 weeks partial weightbearing and on friday April 27th 2012 was given the go ahead to walk full weightbearing. My knee is fine no pain just tightness but my foot is the most painful its been through the whole process.Of course all the nerve endings are healing and the small foot muscles are weak along with my calf and quads being atrophied so understandable.Im pretty sure its a case of grin and bear it and keep in mind that Im at the end of the worst of it I hope,lol. Of course its a long recovery and probably none of us will be the same again but the bulk of the pain is over.Good luck to all of you whatever stage you are at speedy recovery. kc 63

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k 63 View Post
.Im pretty sure its a case of grin and bear it and keep in mind that Im at the end of the worst of it I hope,lol.
Hate to tell you, but you are still at the beginning of it. Probably most pain is coming, as you walk and use it again. But that is what you got to do.

I am guessing over the next 1-3 months you will be alot more active, but will be feeling it too. 5-6 months you will probably be doing alot, maybe still using a cane for long walks.

Recovery is 12-18 months, to get as good as you will get. Pain started to get better for me around 10 months. Around 6 months, I pretty much had all the range of motion I was going to have, things just got easier after that.

Keep up with the PT, every day, not just when you are having a session. Thick socks and comfortable shoes. I wear wool hiking socks year round. Light in the summer, heavy in the winter.

Being a woman, you are going to have to choose between pretty shoes and less pain. This is a life changing event.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
(female)

jive HB User

I am at 5 1/2 weeks, my leg muscles are mush now. Dr. has not cleared me to go back to work until May 22. I have done nothing but keep my foot up. Go for x-ray Wednesday. I hope it is healing. The skin around the foot is so sensitive, my foot is in a padded boot and I feel the hard edges of the boot through the padding. Did not have surgery.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
(male)

Alberttin58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Thing View Post
I am a 67 year old retired man. In early March of this year (2010), I succeeded in shattering my calcaneus plus broke my ankle in 3 places. After 3 months of no weight bearing, am now actually able to walk unassisted. Have been in PT three times a week since early June. Dealing with a lot of swelling, plus pins and needles, especially at night. As a result, sleeping is becoming near to impossible. Would love to hear from any other Heelies who are dealing with this burning and pins and needles. HELP!
I think you are facing lot of problem and only LASIK surgery can solve your problem. Lasik is simple operation to improve your calcaneus and remove your eye problem . I hope you can fins best solution and best Atlanta ga lasik doctors which can help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alberttin58 For This Useful Post:
jive (05-02-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
(female)

k 63 HB User

Thanks Zerk,you burst my bubble lol,no seriously 3 days post full weightbearing I am realising this is the beginning.The pain in excrutiating just in my foot my knee feels fine,Ive gone back to two crutches although just to keep me upright...I keep leaning over to my right with one crutch.Im doing PT at home and soon to start at outpatients.You are right about life changing situation its scary too.Ive never been much of a pretty shoe wearer so no problems there but its hard to find anything comfortable Im in cushioned nike trainers at the moment. And back on pain relief....feels like a step back but it helps healing to keep pain at bay I believe.Anyway thanks again for your advice keep it coming Im going to need it. k.

Closed Thread