It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

rose815 HB User
I am 9 months post op.

1. I am 9 months post op and I still have numbness on the outside of my ankle and "heel zaps or zings". My main problem is the achilles tendon will knot up when it gets fatigued. Still do my PT exercises religiously 3 times a day though. The doctor's appointment was good. He said things were looking good. I go back in April when it's been a year. Hope everyone's holidays were pain free.
    Rose

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

pdq1228 HB User
Re: Cast is off-now in boot

There is a device you can get that elevates your shoe to the height of the boot. I used it with the boot prior to surgery - and it made a world of difference. Can't remember the purchase site -- but google ortho shoe leveler or lifter. I think it cost less than $20.00.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

Pegret HB User

Patience! Lay down on the couch...elevate your foot above your heart...stay there! The swelling will come down with time. Don't rush it! PT is good to get you walking, but will not hurry the healing process.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
(female)

rose815 HB User

Also, don't forget the ice while elevating. I agree with PATIENCE!!! I thought I'd be out dancing when the cast came off and the boot came on. NOT!!! I'd do to much and be having to elevate & ice the whole next day. You take 1 step forward and 3 steps back LOL
Take Care
Rose

Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

GinnyMarie HB User

Rosie, I am 9 months post op also, and I still have the same problems. My doctor signed me off back in June. I don't see him again unless I have problems. My little toe still is paralized and has a tight weird feeling thru it, my heel is sort of numb and it still feels very odd to walk barefoot, more comfortable with a shoe on. the top of my foot where there are 2 screws is still very puffy and tender. My tendon also gets very knotted up and fatiqued. I was told to do the toe lifts to strengthen it which I do. Glad to hear it's not just me.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

pdq1228 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I had hoped to be "castless" by now. BUt the NWB cast was removed and replaced with a weight bearing cast for another 4 weeks. Although moving on 2 feet(with the help of a walker) is definitely an improvement.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
(female)

GinnyMarie HB User

I am also 9 months post op and my little toes and heel feel the same as yours Rosie.. my little toe will not move on its own, nor will it bend and it feels some what numb. It is still puffy on top of the foot especially where the screws are and is still tender to touch. My heel has that numb/tingly feeling and walking barefoot still feels weird, more comfortable in sandals or shoes.. with good support. AT 5 months when I got my boot off I went back to work full time, on my feet, lots of swelling. It is going down and if I wear my compression sock it helps. I walk quite normal but don't walk to fast. Going upstairs is no problem for me, coming down is. My ankle foot just doesn't move without feeling tight yet. My tendon across the ankle tightens when tired and I need to keep doing my stretching exercises for the tendon. Other wise it is doing well, and I am sure it will continue to improve.. time is the ticket and patience. I am just waiting for the whole foot to be down to normal size and feel like a normal foot.

Good luck to all going through the different stages of this surgery, just hang in there and remember it keeps getting better each day/week/month/.....

Ginny

Old 08-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
(female)

rose815 HB User

I am no longer at 9 mo. its been a while since i posted. I am now at 1 1/2 yrs. I had my year appt. in April 2010. The Dr. seemed satisfied with the results. I still have numbness on the outside of ankle. I don't think that is coming back due to the cut nerve. But all in all the outcome was good. I still don't feel comfortable walking bare foot. Walking on the beach this summer was challenging. I didn't dare go in the water without someone there. I was afraid I'd mess the tendon up but maybe that was just me panicing. I still do my exercises daily too.
Take care all
Rose

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Rose - you and I had our surgeries around the same time - mine was March 09 and I know we shared a lot of info at that time. I am with you - I still have some numbness on outerside of foot and my little toe. We went to the beach in fla. in June and I was looking forward to walking my 4 miles. It didn't happen!! I cnnot walk barefoot and even in tennis shoes, because of the heat and humidity my foot swelled just like old times and I had difficulty walking. The good news is that when we returned home, my foot/ankle went back to normal (for me) and I was painfree again. I still don't walk 4 miles, but 2 is very doable. I have found that I cannot wear shoes without a small heel or wedge comfortably. Flip flops and barefoot are uncomfortable. I still am very happy with the outcome of the surgery although things will never be 100% it is much better then before. For those of you newbies out there, try to be patient, things improve every day and all the Docs say 1 year to complete healing! Rose, glad to hear you are doing well too. Take care, Mar

Closed Thread